*** Official Shiseido Tahiti Pro Contest Thread ***

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Guess they ran the trials a couple days ago. Winner was Mihimana Braye who I believe is the only one going to the main event as the wildcard. Both Matahi Drollet and Kauli Vaast (last year's wildcard) lost in their respective semis. Replay of entire trials here:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Guess they ran the trials a couple days ago. Winner was Mihimana Braye who I believe is the only one going to the main event as the wildcard. Both Matahi Drollet and Kauli Vaast (last year's wildcard) lost in their respective semis. Replay of entire trials here:

I watched the other day, fast forwarded through most heats but saw the whole final. Kinda junky but workable. Not lowers, but then where else is?

surfcheck101

Nep status
Apr 9, 2006
South of the Border
According to Surfline....

Solid swell looks likely to close out the month of May — our analog years have suggested a spike in swell potential before the end of the month and this is something the reputable global weather models have really been keying in on in recent days. After bouncing around a bit with each update, the guidance is pretty well aligned on the potential for good size SW/SSW swell to close out the month. Models are in sound agreement we’ll see a quality pattern setup through the second half of this week — robust high pressure anchored over Tasmania gradually slides east over the Tasman Sea as quality storms cycle around the high and track into the Southwest Pacific. Whenever we see quality storms paired with strong high pressure it piques our interest — these are the types of patterns that have the best potential to over perform and come in stronger than model guidance.
The trend over the last few days has been for an overlapping pair of SW then SSW swells in the 28th-31st window. The lower end of model guidance is in the double overhead+ range right now as those swells top out, while the higher end of the guidance has been pushing to the top end of the paddle range (15-18’+ faces). As the large, complex area of low pressure sending the swells gradually shifts east it looks to position high pressure southeast of Tahiti — that pattern would drive favorably-angled ENE to even NE flow. Will be fun to see how it verifies.

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019
Wonder how fatherhood will impact JKF and Kelly.

New father’s testosterone drops by ~30% for a month+ after the birth of a child.

• Sad
Reactions: Havoc

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Wed 5/22 0700 TAHT/HST: The contest is OFF for today and tomorrow.

Believe that back half of the season only needs three full days to run each event. Point is they can be a bit pickier in choosing contest days.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Wed 5/22 0700 TAHT/HST: The contest is OFF for today and tomorrow.

Believe that back half of the season only needs three full days to run each event. Point is they can be a bit pickier in choosing contest days.
Let's see if Teahupoo is also for the fucking girls or if they are all pulling the nose. Forecast is looking legit.

Reactions: caelho

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Let's see if Teahupoo is also for the fucking girls or if they are all pulling the nose. Forecast is looking legit.
Men pull the nose as well.

Also, chopes is generally easier to surf than pipe. More predictable anyway.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Men pull the nose as well.

Also, chopes is generally easier to surf than pipe. More predictable anyway.
I know, Filipe comes to mind.

I think the girls are gonna do great... but some who charged backdoor are gonna be riding backside and I don't know how they'll handle it (bettylou for example). Looking forward to it actually.

I obviously have zero experience surfing either pipe or teahupoo, but the teahupoo take off looks steeper and the view must be more terrifying than Pipe... super shallow, extremely clear water, reef as live as it gets. But absolutely more predictable. For example, it would be very predictable that Toledo would be shitting his pants looking at this forecast.

Reactions: CutnSnip

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I've surfed both at recreational level- Teahupoo feels scarier the way the whole thing goes below sea level.
It's just a fcuking abyss.
I have heard at HH is a pretty standard reef wave? Probably depends on swell direction though.