*** Official Shark Thread ***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Remaining folks in the water appear unaware or unconcerned?

I saw a news story about that earlier but it didn't tell the exact location. The other (unconcerned) folk were in the shorepound, ten feet from the shore. I don't think I would ever ocean swim, especially not in the red triangle. When I see them pass by locally I always think splashing about like that is making yourself into shark bait.

ps I think I spied a rideable left behind the on scene reporter.

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
A couple nights ago in Pismo, getting kinda fun little two footers going left off the pier, the cops show up at the end of the pier waving down at the handful of us in the water...hand sign for "two sharks" points down...I'm all shoulders :shrug: "k"

Cops go away, then come back with the SUV and the loud speaker "everyone get out of the water, there are two large sharks right beneath you"
Someome yells back "what kind?" The cops do the "don't know" hands up shrug...

....No one does anything for a minute...the cops give up and leave. They're probably thinking "fvck em, we did our job"

It gets more crowded, but everyone is sitting waaay inside and leaving me and the fish to hang out alone deep. There is a huge otter floating right next to me so I feel safe, if he's chillin I'm chillin. I get three more waves that are so long and fun they have no business breaking in Pismo.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
A guy got taken in south Africa today. Swimming. Swimming in the red triangle and in SA. I don't think that's wise.

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Swimmers- Avila, Pillbox, and now Lovers Point just to name a few that come to mind. I thought Avila was definitely an oddity way inside of the harbor. I think the splashiness of swimming says "take me" if anything hungry is nearby. In the surfing wireless there are definitely a lot more sightings in CA than in the 90's.