*** Official Shark Thread ***

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003

Chris Lowe, the director of the shark lab at California State University, Long Beach, has tagged a record 38 sharks which already triples the number that were tagged last year.

He says, “Normally they’d be leaving by now, but instead we are seeing more sharks than ever.”

• Wow
Reactions: stringcheese

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
that vid, gnarly as it is,
was taken underwater off thee Farallon Islands, iirc...
think of the book 'Devil's Teeth', a good read,
my copy is well red, many a time...

that is a much older shark,
a breeder, than what professor lowe usually tags,
i'm pretty sure...

watch out,
they, them Great Whites, are gonna getcha!
yikes, what is it currently, that ah, California has had only 1 shark bite fatality since Corona19?
i'll drink to that, like~ie i did here, as seen in this pic, @ a beach where juvi GWS
sometimes breach outta my local L.A. waters,
IMG_0037~ST~01.JPG
with~out any of professor lowe's lil' tags on 'em,
hahaha...

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^

:shark:
Beach-ie Grit should be alllll over it,
they need to be culled, yadayadayada,
kill 'em all!

funny thing is,
ol' chas was recently baggin' on another mention of a new Ke11y wave pool bein' built in Aus,
but it will kill some birds+animals if constructed, i replied that it might help their shark bite situation Down~Under, right?

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Today my wife had TV on the gameshow with Wayne Brady or it may've been Price Is Right but one of the prizes was a full on "Shark Diving" vacation package somewhere in Florida.

No wonder people are getting bit more, more sharks, more interaction with sharks. More research yeah, great but there's also more chumming for photo opportunities.

Doesn't end well for a few dozen surfers, swimmers, fishermen..Great for TV shows.

Back when I was a boy, it was ok to kill sharks.

In Tampa Florida, once an alligator gets fed by people, they relocate or kill it.

People need to stop playing with sharks.

Reactions: jkb and ~rwright~

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
A guy got chomped at a certain Oregon left point yesterday.
First place I surfed after moving to OR. Big and really good day, paddled out alone and saw one guy way up top, but not for very long cause he went in. Was singing in my head the Jaws theme the whole time.

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
The kid could use your help. He'll be laid up and out of work for a bit. Give a little if you can. Could've been anyone who surfs whitey's waters.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Honolua before the women's contest this morning. I don't know any more than what's in the article. Sure hope he comes out alright but it doesn't sound good.