*** Official Shark Thread ***

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.liveleak.com/e/sed5y_1566176976" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
Heya QuadFin,
Betcha if most every erBBer here saw that above shark, breach for a second or maybe 2,
it'd be called a Great White Shark, especially so if seen like thee size of a UFO, on Surfline,
hahaha...

Sun's comin' out,
time to go watch my L.A. environment for a few more hours of my life, l8z!
:shark:

PS ~ RW up-date:
Another she~iiitty weather day...
F**kin' June gloom cloudy allll morn, + now thee wind is pickin' up,
so even though the surf is tiny, I ain't goin' out to look around, from thee water angle...

So my memory will just have to suffice,
of this past weeks f**kin' shark, who just could not jump in the center of my dslr's frame!

Maybe I'll look l8er from thee beach angle in a while, for right now it's time to eat, yum, yum, yummy!
Question: what's that Great White Shark, seen jumpin' in my most recent pic ~{from last week}~ doin'?
Eatin'? Eatin' good, maybe?
Hmmmmm...
:shark:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
We've had sightings almost every day, lately, of a 10' to 12' white breaching at my local spot.

Two sighting were while I was surfing. Not sure what all the jumping/breaching is about....?

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
We've had sightings almost every day, lately, of a 10' to 12' white breaching at my local spot.

Two sighting were while I was surfing. Not sure what all the jumping/breaching is about....?
The thought by some of the scientists down at Guadalupe is that they are just "having fun:"..among other theories.
That being said, the water is so clear down there, the white sharks don't stand a chance doing their normal "ambush/surprise" attacks against the seals/sea lions that they are known for in murkier waters....

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
The thought by some of the scientists down at Guadalupe is that they are just "having fun:"..among other theories.
That being said, the water is so clear down there, the white sharks don't stand a chance doing their normal "ambush/surprise" attacks against the seals/sea lions that they are known for in murkier waters....
Well, I am glad they are having fun! Hopefully that keeps their minds off eating me.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I saw my first one (two) last year pretty close and it was "punchy" if that makes sense. I couldn't believe how thick and stiff the dorsal fin was. There are urchin divers and fishermen who have been doing it for years and never saw them until recently and some bought those electric ankle deterrents. There's clearly been a pop in the numbers and people are seeing them where we normally never did. Take a skiff off Santa Claus Lane and you're pretty much guaranteed to see some juveniles.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I saw my first one (two) last year pretty close and it was "punchy" if that makes sense. I couldn't believe how thick and stiff the dorsal fin was. There are urchin divers and fishermen who have been doing it for years and never saw them until recently and some bought those electric ankle deterrents. There's clearly been a pop in the numbers and people are seeing them where we normally never did. Take a skiff off Santa Claus Lane and you're pretty much guaranteed to see some juveniles.
That is the norm having juveniles swimming around up and down the coast. Bedwetter has daily vistors reported and even local news with nothing to report stopped making it news.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
With regards to 000's post,
i state this, ok~dokie?

That ain't no shark predation!
The seal was not even bitten, for if it was, there surely woulda been blood in thee water...
Go and look at that earlier post from South Africa, posted here awhile back, where a seal gets attacked, eaten.
There's blood there, thrashin' too...

Now, check out your lil' clip, do ya see any blood in that surfie~line vid clip? See any thrashin' about?
See any of thee local seagulls flyin' out there to get a free scrap of a meal, right off~shore?
Nah, huh? 'Twas not a predation, in my humble opinion.
Thee shark did not even bite, nor get to eat, thee seal, ok?
But what do i know...
;)

PS ~ That other recent surfie~line vid,
from Huntington Beach, which shows a shark breachin' 3 timez in quick succession,
is, in my humble~ina kinda opinion, just a small Thresher shark, for they like to do it that way,
from what i've personally seen. Your opinion may vary, hahaha...
:cool:

Last edited: