*** Official Shark Thread ***

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Funny, Waddell always seemed safe to me, Scott Creek much less so. I think it's the presence of other menu items... :shrug:
A big tail slammed into my leg hard at Waddell before when I was sitting waiting for a set. Knocked me partially off my board. Thought for sure I was getting attacked and instantly caught a crashing wave in. Flagged my buddy out the water and tell him what just happened. I'll never forget, dude looks at me half stoned and tells me " It was probably just a rock".:ROFLMAO:. NOPE I'm done today.

• Wow
Reactions: jkb and keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
A big tail slammed into my leg hard at Waddell before when I was sitting waiting for a set. Knocked me partially off my board. Thought for sure I was getting attacked and instantly caught a crashing wave in. Flagged my buddy out the water and tell him what just happened. I'll never forget, dude looks at me half stoned and tells me " It was probably just a rock".:ROFLMAO:. NOPE I'm done today.
When my SC buddies took me north of town and we paddled out at Greyhound Rock in that same area I was a little unnerved by the lack of people there. It was just the 4 of us and no one else in sight.

The surf was perfect. Head high A frames and glassy.

Upon paddling out I noticed this was nothing like any place I had ever surfed before.

And then as I was getting circled by a large elephant seal scoping me I began to become concerned.

I asked them should I be concerned about it? "Only if he bites you" was the response. Not much reassurance.

What I remember the most was just how dark the water was. Not because it was murky. It wasn't. Just dark because of the rock bottom and all the Bull Kelp.

The real thing that freaked me out the most was those fvcking Bull Kelp boils that would come up all around you and boil up right next to you without warning. Sketched me out big time.

But, was some of the best surf I have ever had with only the 4 of us to share the spoils.

I have no interest in surfing in that zone ever again.

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
When my SC buddies took me north of town and we paddled out at Greyhound Rock in that same area I was a little unnerved by the lack of people there. It was just the 4 of us and no one else in sight.

The surf was perfect. Head high A frames and glassy.

Upon paddling out I noticed this was nothing like any place I had ever surfed before.

And then as I was getting circled by a large elephant seal scoping me I began to become concerned.

I asked them should I be concerned about it? "Only if he bites you" was the response. Not much reassurance.

What I remember the most was just how dark the water was. Not because it was murky. It wasn't. Just dark because of the rock bottom and all the Bull Kelp.

The real thing that freaked me out the most was those fvcking Bull Kelp boils that would come up all around you and boil up right next to you without warning. Sketched me out big time.

But, was some of the best surf I have ever had with only the 4 of us to share the spoils.

I have no interest in surfing in that zone ever again.
I looked at that spot once when i was passing through the area. Waves looked pretty fun, but not a chance i was setting foot in there, the water gave me the creeps. Wish i had the nerves to give it a go but i'm too big of a poosey for that stretch of coast :shark:

Reactions: keenfish

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Iceman took me up there. Walked through the brussel sprout field. Looking down at a sketchy sharky place. Never been so glad to see it big and stormy and mostly unrideable.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Count me in bro. Why wouldn’t culling the biggest sharks help?
Seal populations recovering/exploding IMHO directly correlates with more whites. We didn't have drone cams back in the day but the fucking things are in cell phone videos right off the beach in zones guides and commercial guys hadn't seen them for decades.

Cull the dams. Restore the salmon and fish habitat in general. And if you're going to cull the sharks, cull the seals. On camera. With sharpened hockey sticks. And a board with Sea Shepherd keels.
1697685022303.png

1697685063498.png

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: brukuns and jkb

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
My old next door neighbour who i used to surf, hang out and party with from 30 years ago recently moved to Sth Australia.
Got a call from a mate tonight asking me if I seen the news. Gnarly way to go. RIP Todd!