*** Official Shark Thread ***

Mar 14, 2014
A little guy (8-10') cleared out the lineup this morning at Uppers. Made two appearances. I didnt spot the first one, but the second one was slowly coming straight towards the lineup about 50' out coming from south across the point. Hung out for several minutes. Got within about 20-30'. 3 of us were hugging the rocks for a bit. Everyone else scrammed.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
ZanderZ said:
A little guy (8-10') cleared out the lineup this morning at Uppers. Made two appearances. I didnt spot the first one, but the second one was slowly coming straight towards the lineup about 50' out coming from south across the point. Hung out for several minutes. Got within about 20-30'. 3 of us were hugging the rocks for a bit. Everyone else scrammed.

Apparently there were "10 great whites" in the area of Barb Wires around 1000, someone called the sheriff who arrived in a helicopter to investigate. Hovered over the area with a helicopter and counted "4 great whites". Lotta people at Uppers fled, but it did very little to clear the lineup at Lowers.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
some more stories going around, last night a guy at cardiff reef said a shark rammed his board had a big pressure ding, some guys saw one close to them in Huntington acting aggressive so they paddled in.
luckily it is so flat this morning I didn't have to face the man in the grey suit, live to surf another day, although all the memorial day weekend drivers are more dangerous than anything in the ocean. stay safe people.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
I, being a long time surfer from The Beaches of Los Angeles,
have been trying to video or photograph breaching sharks for years,
and well I find it interesting to read of many OC surfers fear of near shore shark activity.

They, sharks,
are out there every day, all day, all night, whether it is flat, or pumping,
foggy, raining, sunny, glassy, offshore, or blown to sheee-it.
You're out there for what, an hour or 2?

You think the shark does not know of your presence?

Heck, they,
sharks, sometimes even swim near peoples, surfers too,
and they even 'Jump', -que up that old Van Halen song as you view this pic
from a video I shot years ago.

Nowadays,
it seems like many of you would indeed get outta the water
if you happened to see a GWS like this breach in front of you.
Right?

ocean7847

Miki Dora status
Jun 23, 2004
the Injured Reserve
surfer chased out of water down at the beaches (aptos/la selva) on wednesday. beach closures.

then, of course, there was this footage captured on march 18...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_AB_PWgFes[/video]

then, yesterday, when we were freediving about 600 yards outside the mile buoy of the santa cruz wharf, our instructor observed a 'very very large fish, not a seal lion, and not a dolphin' underneath during the final dive.

things are sketch.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
ocean7847 said:
surfer chased out of water down at the beaches (aptos/la selva) on wednesday. beach closures.

then, yesterday, when we were freediving about 600 yards outside the mile buoy of the santa cruz wharf, our instructor observed a 'very very large fish, not a seal lion, and not a dolphin'

things are sketch.

Shark sightings are a daily occurrence at La Selva / Manresa the last 3 years now. We refer to them as "gentlemen" sharks since they haven't bit anyone yet.

nada2looz

OTF status
Mar 16, 2016
https://www.yahoo.com/news/great-white-shark-jumps-australian-fishermans-boat-050052887.html

"I looked down and I thought 'I'll be buggered there's a shark in me boat'.

An elderly Australian fisherman has lived to tell the tale after a great white shark leapt into his boat, surviving with only an injured arm after he was sent flying by the thrashing beast.

Terry Selwood, 73, was enjoying some quiet time on the water off Evans Head in northern New South Wales state when he was given the fright of his life.

"I caught a blur of something coming over the boat … and the pectoral fin of the shark hit me on the forearm and spun me round, knocked me down on the ground to my hands and knees," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Saturday.

"He came right over the top of the motor and then dropped onto the floor."

The shark was 2.7 metres (8.8 feet) in length and with the boat 1.4 metres across and 4.5 metres long, it was a tight squeeze.

"There I was on all fours and he's looking at me and I'm looking at him and then he started to do the dance around and shake and I couldn't get out quick enough onto the gunwale," Selwood said, referring to the upper edge of the boat.

"I was losing a fair amount of blood, I was stunned, I couldn't register what happened and then I thought 'oh my God, I've got to get out of here'."

He managed to grab his radio and called local marine rescue volunteers, who plucked him from the boat and took him ashore where he was treated for skin torn off his arm.

They returned to retrieve his boat and the body of the unwanted passenger, which a local department of primary industries official said was a great white.

Selwood said he had been fishing for close to 60 years, but had never had been through anything like that.

"I've had 'em come up and brush the side of my boat, I've had a white pointer swim around my boat, I've had 'em take fish off my line, but I've never had one do this," he told the broadcaster.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I surfer a certain Naval installation Friday morning all by myself. There were alot of seals swimming around. I was fine the first 30 minutes but every time a seal would pop up next to me i was like GTF away from me.

I won't lie, I was scared. Never though much about sharks while surfing there over the years but seems like they are hunting everywhere in the surf zone.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
nada2looz said:

An elderly Australian fisherman has lived to tell the tale after a great white shark leapt into his boat, surviving with only an injured arm after he was sent flying by the thrashing beast.

Terry Selwood, 73, was enjoying some quiet time on the water off Evans Head in northern New South Wales state when he was given the fright of his life.
MF'in Straya. Dude is 73 y/o. They grow em different down there. :applause2:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
beerbelly said:
ocean7847 said:

then, yesterday, when we were freediving about 600 yards outside the mile buoy of the santa cruz wharf, our instructor observed a 'very very large fish, not a seal lion, and not a dolphin'

things are sketch.

Shark sightings are a daily occurrence at La Selva / Manresa the last 3 years now. We refer to them as "gentlemen" sharks since they haven't bit anyone yet.
yup , buddy was with kids at the beach a few months ago and saw a seal get chomped there :eek:

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
santacruzin said:
beerbelly said:
ocean7847 said:

things are sketch.

yup , buddy was with kids at the beach a few months ago and saw a seal get chomped there :eek:
So hard to take my grom out nowadays. Junior guards is also a tough call.

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
The was a big, very big, did I mention BIG, dorsal out of the water at Deer Creek today. Just patrolling. A lot of people pulled over for a look. It wasn't in a hurry. God damn big dorsal. Had to be a 15' GWS. Easy. Freaky.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Bolsa Chica State Beach — On June 3, 2017 Lance Wallick was surfing 50 yards from shore in front of the main tower headquarters of the Lifeguards at Bolsa Chica State Beach in Huntington Beach. It was about 11:00 AM and he had been on the water 2 hours. Air and water temperatures were estimated at 64 and 62 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively with a marine layer overcast. The ocean was glassy over a sandy bottom 8 feet deep with like water visibility. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Wallick reported;“There was a small, but fun combo swell, around two to four feet. I found the least crowded spot for a Saturday morning in Huntington. There were other surfers up and down the beach. I had been waiting about ten minutes to catch a set wave in, when a dark object approached me head on in the water. The hair on the back of my neck definitely stood on end. As it got closer, about six feet in front of me just below the surface, I could clearly make out what it was. It appeared to just hover for a few seconds, then turned right and swam off. It was dark grey on top with a white belly. It had a triangular dorsal fin and a vertical caudal fin. It wasn't aggressive; it just appeared to be checking me out. I turned around and caught a small wave in. I reported it to a lifeguard and he said they would post warning signs. He said several sightings have recently been reported in the same area. I've been surfing for twenty years, studied marine biology and oceanography. It wasn't a dolphin; it was a (roughly) 6 foot juvenile White Shark.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Vandenberg Air Force Base — On May30, 2017 Vincent Culliver reported the following; "A group of dive club members have been camping at the ‘Boat House', Vandenberg Air Force Base, over the Memorial Day weekend. They reported a pinniped barking and making a lot of noise starting about 4:00 AM this morning. In the light of day they saw it injured and bleeding on the rocks. Apparently one of the members of the dive group called a warden or park ranger. The warden came out and approached the animal to try and ascertain its status and the type of injury. He was also trying to contact the marine mammal rescue group according to somebody in the crowd (not verified though). The warden said it appeared to be a possible shark attack on the seal and told his superiors. Supposedly this information went up the chain of command and it came down from the commander to start a mandatory 72 hour closure as a precaution. Someone in the crowd said they saw a dead seal last week with a massive bite out of it (again not confirmed or verified with any pictures or evidence). We were all asked to pack up and leave. The seal was still alive but bleeding when we left. The warden had taken photographs of the pinniped's injuries for assessment later.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

San Onofre State Beach — On May 21, 2017 Daniel Powers reported the following;“Just an FYI. We had a shark breach today between Uppers and Cottons. About 30 or so guys bailed ASAP. Later that day we were notified that we had a large shark in the surf zone at Cottons around 2:30 PM. Lifeguards came twice to warn us at Cottons. Second warning sounded like a woman panicking. So we left and surfed Uppers. All I saw there was a cute little leopard shark – Happy Sunday.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Capistrano State Beach — On May 19, 2017 Lisa Restivo reported the following;“I wanted to report a shark breach sighting at Capistrano State Beach, California at about 11:00 AM today and 200 yards off shore. It looked to me and my husband like a Great White Shark.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Monterey Bay "UPDATE" — On March 18, 2017 Brian Correiar was kayaking in Monterey Bay a little past 4:30 PM when a white shark struck his kayak ejecting him into the ocean. Please see his narrative below. He is the yellow object to the left of the kayak in this video. Brian sent me the following; "Ralph, A YouTube video of my shark encounter was posted. It starts 5 – 10 minutes after I was hit. I believe this will help determine the size of the shark. My kayak was 14 feet 2 inches." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQQZifTGY1Q&app=desktop

Long Beach — On May 10, 2017 Laylan Connelly of the Orange Country Register and Sandy Mazza of the Daily Breeze reported in the Long Beach Press Telegram that at least 10 juvenile Great White Sharks were observed in the near shore waters in Long Beach only a few yards from the shore. I should mention that my friend and colleague Keith Poe of Shark Tagger has observed a considerable amount of fish, bird, and marine mammal activity in this area, and several other areas as well. This could be attracting the sharks close inshore to take advantage of these prey species. http://www.presstelegram.com/environment-and-nature/20170510/at-least-10-great-white-sharks-spotted-off-long-beach-coast

San Onofre State Beach — On May 6, 2017 David Woodward was surfing 100 yards from shore at Trail 5, San Onofre State Beach. It was 11:00 AM and he had been on the water about 15 minutes. The sky was clear with an estimated air temperature of 62 degrees Fahrenheit. The ocean was calm with an estimated water temperature of 61 degrees Fahrenheit and a depth 5 – 6 feet. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Woodward recalled;“I was surfing at Trail 5. It was a small surf day and the day after a little bit of rain. I was the only one out. I had only been out a short while and was waiting for my second wave when I saw the shark swimming South to North in the wave in front of me. It was about 10 feet away when I first saw it. It's the fifth Juvenile Great White I've seen while surfing at the Trails over the last couple of years and there has been approximately 5 other times that someone nearby has seen one and mentioned it as they vacated the water. The other ones I've seen have been totally indifferent to my presence. This one turned abruptly in my direction just as it was passing the front of my board. I didn't really see it after that because I instinctively back paddled my board away from the shark then spun it around to paddle in. By that time, the shark was again swimming in its South to North course.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

San Onofre State Beach — On May 3, 2017 Marcus Sanders at Surfline.com posted two videos from Lower Trestles, San Onofre State Beach, showing a white shark breaching a little north of a group of surfers. The first video was taken on May 2 at Lower Trestles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWZlQPzYlw0 .

The second video was take on May 3 at Lower Trestles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aokBKwPO_LU . Comparing the size of the shark in both videos with the surfers in the foreground, and considering the shark's distance from the camera and surfers, it appears to be about 9 or 10 feet in length. The shark appears to breach in the same general area in both videos. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

San Onofre State Beach — On April 30, 2017 Mark Hurlock, his brother Greg, and Richard Fisher were surfing 100 yards from shore at Upper Trestles, San Onofre State Beach. It was 6:33 AM and they had been on the water 60 – 80 minutes. Air and water temperatures were recorded at 60 and 63 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. The sky was clear with a brisk offshore breeze. The surf was 3 – 4 feet with a water depth of 5 – 7 feet and a cobble rocky ocean floor. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Hurlock reported;“Greg, Richard and I were sitting in the water waiting for a wave, when I saw the shark swimming out to sea, about 15 – 20 feet away from us. I alerted my brother and friend to the shark's presence. They immediately started paddling towards shore. I also paddled towards shore. My friend Richard said that the shark turned and was less than 6 feet behind my brother as we started paddling away. The shark can be seen on the Surfline rewind footage: April 30, 6:30 am rewind. At 3:00 minutes to 3:04, you can see the shark right behind us after we started paddling towards shore.” Difficult to see the shark due to the distance https://youtu.be/Nkf6xE1WMCQ . Thanks to Marcus Sanders and Surfline.com for providing the video. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

San Onofre State Beach — On April 29, 2017 Orange County Register journalist Laylan Connelly reported the following;“A woman was attacked by a shark off San Onofre State Beach Saturday afternoon, the second attack in one year off local waters. Four women were in the water at a surf spot called ‘Church,' north of the San Onofre surf beach and in front of Camp Pendleton campgrounds, said state park aide Travis Lara. Two women were on surfboards, and the two other females were swimming nearby in the surf line up. The beach, popular with Orange County surfers, is in northern San Diego County. One of the women, who was wearing swim fins and wading in the water, was bit on her ‘glute and down her thigh,' Lara said. Two surfers pulled her out of the water and a person on the beach used a surf leash on her upper thigh to stop the bleeding. The incident happened late afternoon. Lara didn't know if the women's injuries were life threatening or where she was being treated. It was also unclear what kind of shark attacked the woman and what size it was. He said the beach was likely going to be closed for at least 72 hours. There have been two videos that have surfaced lately of sharks breaching out of the water near surfers, one at Lower Trestles and another at Upper Trestles, both just north of the attack site.” Additional information will be posted as it becomes available. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

ocean7847

Miki Dora status
Jun 23, 2004
the Injured Reserve
took a freediving/survival breath hold course through work (rescue swimming) last week...

we dove in ~90 feet of water about a mile outside the mile buoy (santa cruz wharf).

last series of dives, we're pulling in the rig, heading home, no worries. i cruise with the instructors to dinner to pick their brains... and... lead guy mentions

"oh yeah... i saw a really, really big fish underneath us on that last series of dives (25m).. definitely not a sea lion, and definitely not a dolphin."

me "uh, why didn't you say something?"

him "it was the last dive and we were getting out anyway.. so.." [shrug]

sketcccccccccccccccccchy.