*** Official Shark Thread ***

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
:drowning: US Coast Guard fires on shark circling swimmers

video
That happened 2 (or 3?) years ago while paddling across SB channel with several boats, dozens of SUP and prone paddleboarders and the biggest collective freakout I've ever seen in the ocean. 1 large white was spotted, we got plucked out of the water, moved a few miles, got back in the water, and another aggressive white began circling the front of the pack. The freakout began and the shark went through the entire pack of people/boats, ping-ponging left to right (every way it turned, there was a boat, board or people) until a boat mowed over it and it dove and wasn't seen again. In the end there was an absolute yard sale of paddleboards floating 9 miles from shore spanning about 1/4 mile and lots of people on boats they had never been on before. Got to see my first whitey, though.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
what's up erBB!
i saw another shark jump outta thee waters of Los Angeles last night, bitchin'...
as i await the sun to arise, i just read a good story on Surfline about gws ~fight or flight?

made me wanna re~read George Greenough's old article from The Surfers Journal,
found it, have a read if ya wanna hear what a dude on an inflatable mat does when confronted:
The Archivist: George Greenough’s Shark Files

Reactions: jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
what's up erBB!
i saw another shark jump outta thee waters of Los Angeles last night, bitchin'...
as i await the sun to arise, i just read a good story on Surfline about gws ~fight or flight?

made me wanna re~read George Greenough's old article from The Surfers Journal,
found it, have a read if ya wanna hear what a dude on an inflatable mat does when confronted:
The Archivist: George Greenough’s Shark Files

Thanks for finding that! :cheers:

I was curious to read it after that Surfline story.

I don't know if I could be so calm in that situation, although it sounds like it might be your best chance at survival.......assuming you're not one of the unlucky ones hit from a sneak attack.

Last edited: