*** Official Shark Thread ***

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
There are hundreds of thousands of more surfers nowadays than when I started surfing, but there seemed to be a whole lot more shark attacks back in those days.

People must taste like sh!t...

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
"there seemed to be a whole lot more shark attacks back in those days. "

What "days" are you referring to? It's very easy to confirm.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I feel like shark sightings (and maybe attacks) are at an all time high in ca now because sharks are protected now theres been no cullings. That and the ban on gill netting.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
hiya surfysurfy1476,

sure,
i see your point, as far as sightingz go,
but also too, we now live in thee age of instant communication,
+ every~one seems to want some likez, clickz, hitz to generate what~ever
personal or business gratification...

As far as attacks go,
sure, more now, more pepz in the water,
why does it alwayz seems, if it was a surfer, attacked,
to be a short~boarder or body~boarder, ya know?
when was thee last time a dude on a 9'0 l/b was bitten?
1960's, esh, that 1 i'd have to research, maybe another time...
food for thought, err, may~be size does matter, no?
:drowning:

VVVVV,
hiya sushipop,
hahaha, i like my ebonics, err, beach~bonics way of typin', ya knowz?
you don't like, don't read, no biggie, ok, hahaha...
bye~bye...
randy
(y)

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I feel like shark sightings (and maybe attacks) are at an all time high in ca now because sharks are protected now theres been no cullings. That and the ban on gill netting.
There's no current gillneting ban in CA besides MPAs where nobody can fish. Set and drift gillnetters still get them and sell them (live) and the ones they don't are often dead. $600 for a live juvenile, and they get tagged and released. I think they've partially made a big comeback because of:

1. banning of targeting whites in the early 90s
2. banning of gillnetting within 3 miles of the coast in the early 90s
3. Some woeful results of the outdated Marine Mammal Protection Act of the early 70s
3a. Way more pinnipeds/rookeries than there should be because of the MMPA. The spot that guy got bit at is a perfect example.
:shaka:

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
i sometimes trip~out when we pepz try to describe how big a shark was,
for it seemz a large GWS, like this 15{?} male seen slightly bumpin' this dude,
of a similiar size to what is said to have bitten a surfer recently off Thee Channel Islandz...
woulda/shoulda/coulda easily taken a bigger chunk outta any surfer, swimmer or divers leg when it bit.
ya know?

compare it to what happened up in Pacific Grove many yearz ago,
to Barry Wilson who had a 12'er bite him...

but really, boyz, i ain't no scientist, biologist,
so what thee f**k do i know? i just like too ramble on some~times...

as i do not feel a need to contribute to any GWS research papers,
i have turned down a few requests, for my usage of beach~bonics would prob' **** 'em off,
hahaha, laterz, rw

Last edited:

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Heya 10over!
i'm 1 of your shark fanz here,
wonder, you gonna post up a new 2019 vid of your last trip down to GI?
i still like this one, posted last year, posted here below, again, for every~ones enjoyment, ok?

question:
did you see any of thee sharkz you saw last year in 2018,
like seen in your vid above, when ya went down there in 2019?
same apex preditor, seen last year, seen again, this year???

if i ever met ya in person,
surely you'ld know that my lil' questions would fly at~cha,
for i'm a curious near~shore shark dude, ok?
have a good one...
randy

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Yep, I will be making a video of my trip down to Isla Guadalupe from this past November. Been busy with work and *life* and haven't had a chance to edit footage yet...I'll post a link on this thread.
- Yes, we saw some of the same sharks, but they were mostly the *smaller* males (12-14')
- We saw lots of bigger females(they tend to migrate down there later in the season, like Nov.,-Dec.). They(the same large females) tend to show up on a two-year cycle down there.

Last edited:

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
Can't wait for your newest vid!

I've read that some of the females get prego every 2 years,
might explain this, the shark attacks up at Surf Beach, Vandenberg a few years back,
a female GWS coming near~shore to give birth...

"Surf Beach off the coast of California’s Santa Barbara County has beautiful dunes, coastal flora, a backdrop of the Vandenberg Air Force Base — and a mysterious marine killer who attacks surfers in October every two years. Or at least, that’s what Discovery Channel researchers sought to prove in Tuesday night’s episode of “Shark Week.” Their investigation was inconclusive, but they refined methods for identifying sharks that will be useful in the aftermath of future attacks.

Beachgoers have been attacked by white sharks at Surf Beach every two years like clockwork, in October of 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2014. It may seem unlikely that one shark could be responsible for all of these incidents, but that’s not necessarily true. A researcher told The Discovery Channel that the pattern was “eerie” because “adult female white sharks have a 2-year migration pattern, so it could be the same shark coming to the same beach every two years.”

A highly migratory animal like the shark will sometimes return to the same exact spot, on the same day, every year or two.

Here’s the pattern of attacks that has occurred at Surf Beach.

October 2008: Kyle Knapp was surfing when a shark attacked his board; he escaped unharmed.

October 22, 2010: 19-year-old Lucas Ransom was surfing when a shark bit him on the leg and pulled him underwater. His friend managed to pull him to shore, but not in time to save him.

October 23, 2012: 39-year-old Francisco Javier Solorio Jr., father of two children, was surfing when a shark bit him on the torso and pulled him underwater. As in Ransom’s case, a friend managed to pull him to shore, but not in time to save him.

October 3, 2014: Ryan Howell was kayaking when a shark attacked his boat and pulled him into the water. He managed to escape unharmed, and credits the kayak — which was stuck between him and the shark — for saving his life."
~snip~
:drowning:

Last edited:

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Someone should of fed the owner of those dogs to the shark after a couple chainsaw kisses.