*** Official Shark Thread ***

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
The local (San Diego) TV news reported (with video) a young great white washed up on a Carlsbad beach yesterday.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
CARLSBAD, Calif. -- A young great white shark washed up on a beach in Carlsbad Sunday.

Christiano Goulart was at a birthday party at Carlsbad State Beach when he spotted the dead shark north of Tower 33. It was reported to California State Park lifeguards at about 11 a.m.

“We saw a big creature rolling in the waves," Goulart told FOX 5. "We thought it was a dolphin, but then I see this big white belly."

Goulart said the group pulled it to shore and alerted lifeguards.

RELATED STORY
Fish swallows shark whole during rarely seen deep-sea feast

"If it was alive we were going to try to put it back in the water," Goulart said.

When the lifeguards on duty notified SeaWorld about the shark, SeaWorld officials reported it to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Jorge Moreno with the California Department of Parks and Recreation said the NOAA authorized visiting members of the CSU Long Beach Shark Lab to remove the shark. "Dead marine life often washes up on state beaches and lifeguards work with appropriate authorities to remove and/or study these animals," Moreno said.

A researcher from CSULB estimated the shark to be about 6.5 feet long and around two years old.

Though the cause of death has not yet been confirmed, Moreno said the shark did have injuries. "There were possible gaff hook injuries around (the) left side of jaw," Moreno said, adding that it was likely the wounds had been caused by a fisherman.

RELATED STORY
Shark attack survivor throws first pitch at Padres game

News of the dead shark did not stop beachgoers from cooling off in the water the following day.

“I think I’m more frightened by why it died," Jennie Vance told FOX 5.

"You always know they’re there. It’s just scary seeing them in person," Stephanie Williams said.

Two young white sharks were spotted near Coronado last month. April through August is pupping season, and it's not uncommon to see them in the water, said Dr. James Anderson with the CSULB Shark Lab.

However, seeing a shark wash up on shore is unusual, wildlife officials said. A state pathologist will perform a necropsy on the animal to determine how it died. Dr. Anderson expected to have those results in about a week.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
Bunch of random and weird shark stories going around n county recently, heard a second hand story of a guy who actually ran into the dead one in carlsbad, fell off and thought he hit a dead body then the next wave came and kind of rolled the shark and he thought it was coming for him.. some guy caught a big one off the ponto jetty, today a big one was supposedly spotted by swamis and a shark breached right outside beacons and a lot of people saw it. explains why I surfed alone and then with one other guy, it was in and out clouds, windy and the water was murky, my spidey senses were tingling...

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
that was a nice little one jumping up to check out our world, i was surfing boneyards one small day and nobody was out just cruising on my longboard and caught a long right and went right over what looked like a 5 - 6 foot juvenile great white nosing along the inner reef, i kept going for 20 yards , looked back at swamis with 15 guys out and paddled back over to the pack, safety in numbers...

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
some fishermen (illegally) caught one and released it in carlsbad. then the dead one washed up with gaff marks days later. probably the same shark

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
I often get a giggle or 2 when~ever anyone sees a shark jump/breach outta thee water,
for it is always a Great White, right?
NOT!

I'm on video,
years ago, claimin' a GWS in thee air.
'cept months later, another look at thee vid/sharkpix,
well, err, ah, RW, that's just a juvi Thresher!

Mako's, Salmon's, Thresher's, Leopard's,
well, ya gotta know this, right boyz, that they also jump outta thee water too!

If,
when I've sent a pic of a shark breachin' here in Los Angeles to some of them scientists or shark researchers out there and there is discussion, even with experts in far~away South Africa, about what kind shark it is breachin ', like this 1 i released for public viewin' years ago, of what kind of species i had photographed jumpin' outta thee local waters here off Los Angeles:

well, I'd like to ask ya, how thee f**k can you tell, for certain, that it was a Great White Shark
that you saw breachin' in thee air for a second or 2 at your local surf~spot?

You can't even study the pix/vid to ascertain for certain,
like i/we do, what species it was, but surely, that 'twas a Great White that just breached, right?
Hahaha...
:shark:
RW
:jam_on:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I often get a giggle or 2 when~ever anyone sees a shark jump/breach outta thee water,
for it is always a Great White, right?
NOT!

I'm on video,
years ago, claimin' a GWS in thee air.
'cept months later, another look at thee vid/sharkpix,
well, err, ah, RW, that's just a juvi Thresher!

Mako's, Salmon's, Thresher's, Leopard's,
well, ya gotta know this, right boyz, that they also jump outta thee water too!

If,
when I've sent a pic of a shark breachin' here in Los Angeles to some of them scientists or shark researchers out there and there is discussion, even with experts in far~away South Africa, about what kind shark it is breachin ', like this 1 i released for public viewin' years ago, of what kind of species i had photographed jumpin' outta thee local waters here off Los Angeles:
Head shape, body shape, tail shape, coloration. You can pick these things out in a few seconds with a trained eye.

The one you posted a pic of is definitely a GWS. No question.

Sep 27, 2009
About 2 weeks ago I was surfing out past sunset in South San Diego. It was starting to get pretty dark but I decided I'll paddle back out for one more (classic mistake). The ocean turns into a lake and I'm just sitting out there and its getting darker and darker. About 15 yards to my right I see a fin and tail slowly gliding across the surface and headed in my general direction. I don't think it was a man eater and it was probably just checking me out but it scared the fvck out of me and I paddled in as fast as I could while trying to remain calm.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
RWVBWL said:
I often get a giggle or 2...
jkb said:
Head shape, body shape, tail shape, coloration. You can pick these things out in a few seconds with a trained eye.
The one you posted a pic of is definitely a GWS. No question.
Hiya JKB!
I saw another shark, splash down after breachin, a coupla dayz ago,
kinda far out past thee line~up, got it on vid, still don't know what species it is,
-except that it ain't a Thresher nor Leopard,
hahaha...

That said, I've seen 'bout a dozen breaches this year,
it's been a tough year for shark breaches here in L.A. if you are a dude who likes to look for 'em.
And there was not 1 of 'em have I been able to deduce that it was, for sure, a Great White Shark...

Maybe your eye~site is better than mine,
so that, in thee blink of an eye, you can differentiate between species,
maybe you've seen more sharks breach at 1 of your local surf~spots than I have over thee last 10 years,
for I'm up near around 500 +/-, with 'bout 10% on vid or pix so I'm kinda curious 'bout what ya've seen,
hmmmm...
L8'z, RW
:)

PS ~ A bro got bumped recently, here in L.A.
1 of the boyz on his sup saw a small shark,
then a much bigger shark, swimmin' out past thee line~up.
Told the local surf crew what was up.

Mikey, seen here awhile back:

was out at Thee BoneYards and soon afterwards got a bump, a huge swirl was seen too, + after his
Mick Fanning moment, well he then paddled his arse fast off back to the beach, told me that he got a lil' freaked out + emotional when he called thee wife and told her what had just happened. This Dad, well he ain't gonna be paddlin' out by him~self anymore in thee pre~dawn hours, he don't need that kinda sheee~it when he just wantz to paddle out, get away from real life ~ it's responsibilities, + hit that lip, yikes!
:shark:

PSS ~ JKB,
I saw that ya had posted a pic,
awhile back, of ya surfin', here on Thee erBB,
on a nice left~hander irc, so ah, 5 *'s to ya...
Happy surfin'!
:wave2:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I just got back from spending the weekend in Rhode Island with the family. People got called out of the water multiple times at our local town beach while we were there due to "marine animal sitings". First two times I rolled my eyes. Thought it was probably just a seal. The third I saw a considerably large dorsal fin about 20yds out past where people were swimming. I never saw the tail fin surface so it's hard to gauge size. But Great White activity has been pretty high in the northeast these days.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Hiya JKB!
I saw another shark, splash down after breachin, a coupla dayz ago,
kinda far out past thee line~up, got it on vid, still don't know what species it is,
-except that it ain't a Thresher nor Leopard,
hahaha...

That said, I've seen 'bout a dozen breaches this year,
it's been a tough year for shark breaches here in L.A. if you are a dude who likes to look for 'em.
And there was not 1 of 'em have I been able to deduce that it was, for sure, a Great White Shark...

Maybe your eye~site is better than mine,
so that, in thee blink of an eye, you can differentiate between species,
maybe you've seen more sharks breach at 1 of your local surf~spots than I have over thee last 10 years,
for I'm up near around 500 +/-, with 'bout 10% on vid or pix so I'm kinda curious 'bout what ya've seen,
hmmmm...
L8'z, RW
smile

PS ~ A bro got bumped recently, here in L.A.
1 of the boyz on his sup saw a small shark,
then a much bigger shark, swimmin' out past thee line~up.
Told the local surf crew what was up.

PSS ~ JKB,
I saw that ya had posted a pic,
awhile back, of ya surfin', here on Thee erBB,
on a nice left~hander irc, so ah, 5 *'s to ya...
Happy surfin'!
wave2
Thanks for the compliment :cheers:

To answer your question, this is the only shark breach I've seen while surfing.

But I studied marine biology in college and worked in the field for 15 years until I realized that I needed to switch professions if I ever wanted to make a living wage.

Sharks always interested me most, so I dedicated a lot of time researching them. Almost wrote my Masters thesis on GWS attack mitigation along the CA coast, but decided to go a different route in life.