*** Official SBD Needs a new Drip Coffee Maker Thread ***

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
A good friend. Probably the 1st white boy to go to Jamaica. Reggae Sunsplash #1. Johnny and Bunky.

Rasta. Johnny met this old Rastfari. Selling bags of coffee. Every bean. It was not picked. It was dropped on the ground at its premium ripeness by the will of Jah. Jamaica. The Blue Mountains...

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Mr Coffee, set to brew at 5 AM. use good coffee, and drink it before it gets that sludgy stale taste, which IMHO takes a solid couple of hours to really happen. Coming downstairs half asleep in the dark, wife still asleep upstairs, hot delicious coffee just sitting there waiting for me, giving off the "Don't worry Subway, everything will be ok " vibe...That's a highlight of my groundhog day. I brew a full pot, drink probably 2 big mugs hot, then turn off the hot plate on the Mr Coffee, and the remainder is great over ice with a little bit of cream for a late morning boost, perhaps before a mid day bike ride or workout or whatever.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
it looks like the 12 cuppers are kinda hard to come by. maybe hard to get a good brew in that capacity? ideally I would like a ceramic lines stainless thermos with a detachable reservoir for water with a timer. looks like I have to compromise somewhat

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Mr Coffee, set to brew at 5 AM. use good coffee, and drink it before it gets that sludgy stale taste, which IMHO takes a solid couple of hours to really happen. Coming downstairs half asleep in the dark, wife still asleep upstairs, hot delicious coffee just sitting there waiting for me, giving off the "Don't worry Subway, everything will be ok " vibe...That's a highlight of my groundhog day. I brew a full pot, drink probably 2 big mugs hot, then turn off the hot plate on the Mr Coffee, and the remainder is great over ice with a little bit of cream for a late morning boost, perhaps before a mid day bike ride or workout or whatever.
this is my routine as well. Cheap Mr Coffee machine set at 5am. The smell of coffee wakes me up. 2 cups and whatevers left over goes over ice and into the fridge for after lunch.

Reactions: Subway

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I guess I'm kind of a cheap date but this is my setup, a little Mr. Coffee on/off switch 4 cup and pre-ground Cafe Bustelo which is amazingly inexpensive. I used to grind but the Bustelo is great pre-ground. Just 16 oz for me every morning - get it off the heater right away and I keep the coffee grounds tightly closed to air - if you can smell the coffee grounds that's your flavor evaporating away.

In the Navy we had our own little coffee mess up in Sonar Control, a Mr. Coffee and a 5 Lb tin of Navy coffee. We used to just rip open the tin which didn't have a resealable top so we just left it open. One day everyone was saying "Who made the coffee? it's so good!" the next day the same thing - it was a mystery until we realized that one of the guys had picked up a new 5 Lb tin and also stolen a 5 Lb Tupperware container from the Chief's mess to keep it in. That's how us Sonar geniuses discovered that dried out coffee tastes bad.

In the shipyard while the ship was in for repair coffee was actually a form of payment to shipyard workers for small things we needed that hadn't been pre-arranged. The ship stocked up on a lot of Coffee before we went in and we took 5 Lb tins of it around the shipyard with us to grease the wheels of ship repair. The practice was called Cumshaw - hahaha I just looked it up and it means grateful thanks in Chinese - sailors learned it in China.

main-ground-brick-espresso.pngMr Coffee.jpg

Reactions: paunch23

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I like ice-cold lime seltzer (Polar if possible) with just a splash of Orange-Peach-Mango juice. I keep it right next to my heavy bag and my raw venison