*** Official Rip Curl WSL Finals Thread ***

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
u think toledo woulda beaten ethan or robo in the final?
(assuming they had good heat strategy this time)

• Haha
Reactions: Northern_Shores

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I think Italo got cheated on his last wave in the 1st heat with Filipe! Total favoritism!
He had that title in the bag! WSL wanted to give it to Felipe IMO
Not sure about that. There was one huge maneuver but it was a short wave. Even if they gave him a 9 he still needed a better back up score.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
u think toledo woulda beaten ethan or robo in the final?
(assuming they had good heat strategy this time)
I think Ethan and Toledo would have been a sick heat to watch.
I think Toledo would have beaten Robo for sure.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Not sure about that. There was one huge maneuver but it was a short wave. Even if they gave him a 9 he still needed a better back up score.
On the Italo/Toledo Heat 1, Italo did like 9 backside turns and looked like he killed the wave, but they only gave him a 6.97. He needed a 7.17 to win. The wave looked like a solid 7.5 or 8. Which would have won him the 1st heat.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
On the Italo/Toledo Heat 1, Italo did like 9 backside turns and looked like he killed the wave, but they only gave him a 6.97. He needed a 7.17 to win. The wave looked like a solid 7.5 or 8. Which would have won him the 1st heat.
Corruption in the WSL. ELo looked like a million bux though. That’s what matters.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Its not so much that felipe won the trestles title, more like Gabe wasnt there. Trestles title is a fucking joke imo. That and the mid year cut are the wsl trying to manufacture drama. You know what would make pro surfing more exciting, and interesting to watch ELO... not holding contests in sh!t waves. Be it Gland or Trestles. Dream tour RIP, put bugs back in charge.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
They wrapped the comp up in like a day lol. Guess I’m not taking the kids up there. Maybe the whole point was to monetize on YouTube.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
well if italo got ripped off, at least it was a loss to another brazillian, so we dont have to hear the shitstorm from the rabid brazzo fans

ps: Judges analyze the following elements when scoring waves: Commitment and degree of difficulty, innovative and progressive maneuvers, combination of major maneuvers, variety of maneuvers and speed, power and flow.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I hate to suggest deadlifting as the solution to every problem but I have to here.
Italo's rail surfing is not very fun to watch.
I'm not a fan of his style at all, but he has a really solid backside bottom turn. I attribute that to his deadlifting.

Steph is my favorite surfer on the WSL man or woman. Best style. Less pumping. Stays on rail longer.

Did she say, "Let's prove this whole system is wrong." in her interview with Strider?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Boneroni and PRCD

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Ethan needed a normal finals format, held at Pipe, with waves of consequence. That holding the finals at a mush burger wave of the heat is just dumb. Especially when you already know no wave of consequence has evar broken at this spot.
Fauxd

Reactions: 2surf

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Strider is in the way and I think he knows it. They might as well have told him to go out and drown.
He needs to at least get a boar that isn't sinking to his jibblies. Seems like the competitors always sit next to each other, that's where he needs to be.

If Italo had landed the crazy airs, the scores would have changed.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
God, that Elo guy is so cringe.

"One of the greatest days of professional surfing!"
"We will spell great with eight, yes great with eight!"

Then Flippy:

"First of all, I want to thank Jesus..."

Just total cringe.

Well done, Steph though!

• Dislike
Reactions: ZeeHawk and Lowqi2

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
congrats to Felipe Toledo,
that dude does indeed do some gnarly surfin'!!!

now i know many of you don't like him because he do not charge thee heavy~est of waves,
but correct if i am wrong, neither did Tommy Curren, he, a 3 time American World Champ.

only won that 1 event in Hawaii, when he surfed with~out his OP logo on, wright?
Curren, our main~land American 3 time World Champ, well he never won Pipe, nor at Sunset either,
but he suuure is beloved by America, wright?
hmmm...

congratz again to Toledo!
:jamon:
:waving:

Reactions: ddifof

wannabet

Michael Peterson status
Jan 24, 2006
Boring, boring, boring..... Get back to the finals in Pipeline or something with juice. What an anti-climax...

Reactions: Redeyes