*** Official Rip Curl WSL Finals Thread ***

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
like I said before, when someone wins her 8th world title and says she didn't deserve it that's pretty telling.

Frenchie hinted at it in her losing interview as well saying something to the effect that it was a bummer that the one heat wasn't really a reflection of her whole year and it bummed her out.

They're trying to make it like football or tennis but what do you expect with people like E lo running the sh!t

Reactions: PRCD and JDJ

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
congrats to Felipe Toledo,
that dude does indeed do some gnarly surfin'!!!

now i know many of you don't like him because he do not charge thee heavy~est of waves,
but correct if i am wrong, neither did Tommy Curren, he, a 3 time American World Champ.

only won that 1 event in Hawaii, when he surfed with~out his OP logo on, wright?
Curren, our main~land American 3 time World Champ, well he never won Pipe, nor at Sunset either,
but he suuure is beloved by America, wright?
hmmm...

congratz again to Toledo!
:jamon:
:waving:
Say wot?

Curren surfed plenty big waves.... now go wash out your mouth with soap for typing Flippy even within the same phrase as Curren.

:shameonyou:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I remember when the Chargers went 14-2 and lost their first playoff game to a Patriots tea with a much worse record. That’s how it goes in a playoff system. A wildcard who performs and gets on a run can take the whole thing, like Steph did this year. I think the WSL set up a system that works pretty well, all things considered.

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
It's setup to make for an exciting day to crown world champions. I'm still not convinced it's how I feel a world champ should be made but I'm coming around to it. However a better venue has to be found. The title heats were held in crap!

This is the first year I was more excited about watching the womens tittle race then the mens. Very stoked for Steph as she's my favorite but her winning over Carissa who had by far a better year does show the flaw in this system.

Also, Congrats Felihiti!

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Steph Gilmour to Strider moments after winning the title- "I was like, let's do this. I have a chance.. let's just prove this whole system's wrong, you know? ...Carissa's the world champ..."

Are you listening WSL?
The WSL is being run for its owners and stakeholders, not its fans. Bugman ELo is in charge because he figured out how to monetize the fanbase for the sponsors by YouTube farming. Shortening the whole thing to a playoff reduces his video editing costs and improves his bottom line. Notice they didn't even try to hold it on a day when a lot of fans would show up, like Saturday and they didn't want to wait around until weather improved.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The WSL is being run for its owners and stakeholders, not its fans. Bugman ELo is in charge because he figured out how to monetize the fanbase for the sponsors by YouTube farming. Shortening the whole thing to a playoff reduces his video editing costs and improves his bottom line. Notice they didn't even try to hold it on a day when a lot of fans would show up, like Saturday and they didn't want to wait around until weather improved.
Or wait for the swell forecast for tomorrow.
:cursing:

Reactions: PRCD

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Steph Gilmour to Strider moments after winning the title- "I was like, let's do this. I have a chance.. let's just prove this whole system's wrong, you know? ...Carissa's the world champ..."

Are you listening WSL?
Steph also said she was coming around to the new format because she had never won a title in the water. She said she was usually sitting around in some hotel when her titles were announced.

I like the new format. It forces people to be on their game more often. Steph's nose pick reverse was the best surfing from the women all year. She might not have initially felt the title was hers, but she deserved it after that performance.

I'd like to see the finals day somewhere double overhead with long walls that offered both turns and barrel sections. Somewhere in Indo would fit the bill.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Say wot?

Curren surfed plenty big waves.... now go wash out your mouth with soap for typing Flippy even within the same phrase as Curren.

:shameonyou:
Curren, in '94 surfin' big waves, ok, i'll bite...

Tom won his 1st World Title back in what, '83?
HE did not make a Final at Pipe nor Sunset nor Haleiwa, if i recall correctly, then, ok?
means he wuz a small to medium wave competive surfer, then excellin' in some conditions, not in other heavier wave sizes.

esh, let us have a read,
as i did recently, of VOL 28, NO. 5, 1987, of our beluved Surfer Magazine, as i recently did, cover to cover,
Special Issue
HAWAII
The Whole Story

page 79
Just Get Out There and Rip: The Performers.
by Mike Latronic

Mark Richards has won his 2nd Billabong Pro, competin' in large Wiamea to pumpin' Sunset, MR rips Hawaii!
Kong took a 2nd, not a metion of Tom here, even though he wuz already a World Champ, iirc,
hmmm.

Of Pipeline,
well it wuz Derek Ho, Ronnie Burns, Tom Carroll, Occy, even Brian McNulty + Chris Frohoff,
but no mention of Curren,
hmmm...

Tom Curren is made mention of, though, here, by Mike Latronic, below, allow me to quote, ok?
"Well, Curren is the master of the game but on this stretch of the tour he didn't go above and beyond the call of duty.
Outstanding, yes, but but thrilling? Not really. Curren played it smart, fairly safe and survived at Sunset.With the world title at within reach, that's probably understandable. It's just that, well, we all somehow expected more from Curren."

Now, sir,
if ya know your surf history, go find that tissue of Surfer Magazine,
count how many pix there are of Curren in this Hawaii ~The Whole Story, ok?
TC sucked in bigger waves when he went for his early World Titles,
even though, in this particular issue, well Tom Curren is ranked #1 on Thee ASP Tour,
before it headed to finish in Australia, he wuz ahead of Occy, Carroll, Hedeman, Kong, Shaun Tomson...

Curren ripped in small to medium sized waves at this point in his life,
but heavy waves, nope, he did not, might ya agree, now, with my argument?

me have to go + rinse me mouth out with soap~ie?
nah, hahaha!
l8z, rw

Edit add~in:
Congratz to Felipe Toledo on his 1st World Title!
i'm sure his surfin' will get better + better, and he'll start chargin' more heavier waves,
like Curren did, l8er in life...

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
HE did not make a Final at Pipe nor Sunset nor Haleiwa, if i recall correctly, ok?
meaans he wuz a small to medium competive surfer, then excellin' in some conditions, not in other heavier wave sizes.
esh, let us have a read, as i did recently, of VOL 28, NO. 5, of our beluved Surfer Magazine, as i recently did,cover to cover,
Special Issue
HAWAII
The Whole Story

page 79
by Mike Latronic

Mark Richards has won his 2nd Billabong Pro, competin' in large Wiamea to pumpin' Sunset,
MR rips Hawaii!
Kong took a 2nd, not a metion of Tom here,
even though he wuz already a World Champ, iirc,
hmmm.

Of Pipeline,
well it wuz Derek Ho, Ronnie Burns, Tom Carroll, Occy,
but no mention of Curren, hmmm...

Tom Curren is made mention of, though, here, by Mike Latronic, bellow, allow me to quote, ok?
"Well, Curren is the master of the game but on this stretch of the tour he didn't go above and beyond the call of duty.
Outstanding, yes, but but thrilling? Not really. Curren played it smart, fairly safe and survived at Sunset.With the world title at within reach, that's probably understandable. It's just that, well, we all somehow expected more from Curren."

Now, sir,
even though, in this particular issue, well Tom Curren is ranked #1 on Thee ASP Tour,
before it headed to finish in Australia, he wuz ahead of Occy, Carroll, Hedeman, Kong, Shaun Tomson...

nah, hahaha!
l8z, rw
I and only me just posted videos show TC surfed sizable waves nothing XXL and did alright but never claimed he won or even seeked waves like this but he was always out :shrug:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Ethan needed a coach. That sitting and waiting 95% of the heat is just dumb. Especially when you already know how your opponent beat the last guy.
Jack did the same thing. Kicking out on that good waves was so stupid IMO

Reactions: Senor Sopa

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The skill gap between Italo & Felipe and the rest of the CT is ridiculous. It wasn't really the final 5, just the final 2. On the rights it looks like Felipe surfs with moon gravity. There will be no other champs than Felipe, Medina and Italo until they retire.

Reactions: GromsDad and 2surf

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

HE did not make a Final at Pipe nor Sunset nor Haleiwa, if i recall correctly, then, ok?
means he wuz a small to medium wave competive surfer, then excellin' in some conditions, not in other heavier wave sizes.

esh, let us have a read,
as i did recently, of VOL 28, NO. 5, 1987, of our beluved Surfer Magazine, as i recently did, cover to cover,
Special Issue
HAWAII
The Whole Story

page 79
by Mike Latronic

Mark Richards has won his 2nd Billabong Pro, competin' in large Wiamea to pumpin' Sunset, MR rips Hawaii!
Kong took a 2nd, not a metion of Tom here, even though he wuz already a World Champ, iirc,
hmmm.

Of Pipeline,
well it wuz Derek Ho, Ronnie Burns, Tom Carroll, Occy, even Brian McNulty + Chris Frohoff,
but no mention of Curren,
hmmm...

Tom Curren is made mention of, though, here, by Mike Latronic, below, allow me to quote, ok?

Now, sir,

nah, hahaha!
l8z, rw

Edit add~in:
Congratz to Felipe Toledo on his 1st World Title!
i'm sure his surfin' will get better + better, and he'll start chargin' more heavier waves,
like Curren did, l8er in life...
I remember reading a article about Curren at Todos Santos. I don't remember who narrated the story but he said Curren caught a big one. HIt the boil halfway down, got airborne and slightly sideways, but re set his rail like nothing happened and continued on his way. I remember the guy saying it was when he realized Curren was in his own league.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
After hearing insightful analytical Slater chum it up with Mick
and then turpel comes in with his ad copy tripe.
Talk about contrast

No offinse to Subway with 'ad-copy tripe". I'm sure you know what I mean.
Haha I don’t write em, I just sell space where ads are displayed…, and yes, some of the copy is abominable, some of it is genius, most falls somewhere in the middle

I would (humble brag) probably be a good copy writer, but like many industries, the money is on the sales side. and as entertaining as the media world can sometimes be, I’m there to make money and GTFO

Sometimes a great canvas begets great creative, no written copy required
4747864B-1396-469C-817B-DF1BAEE2ECDD.jpeg

Reactions: Boneroni