*** Official Rip Curl WSL Finals Contest Thread ***

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I randomly saw John along with the business crew of Florence Marine X the day before but blew the chance to ask him about the Florence Brothers Slab Tour. We just talked about skating. Haha.
while not my thing AT ALL....those cats are making some SERIOUS fanbase around the paddle circles. doing quite a bit to support the prone paddle circles and whatnot. goodwil and good business sense....definitely the type of target crowd

Reactions: teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
At 8 to 12’ is Cotten’s Point size. 4 to 6’ is best for lowers. I surfed there between 1973 and 1979 about as often as you surf bowls. 8’ lowers is legit doh+. Maybe someone has some pictures they’ll share of legit doh+ lowers?
Thanks. Bowls at DOH isn’t a good contest wave it’s Big Bowl. If it’s good it’s slab barrels. If it’s too south which is common it’s a steep drop and maybe a section for a turn. Plus at that size there’s long lulls.

A few feet overhead it’s Middles and it can be a skatepark with barrels. Perfect for a contest.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
They had contests when it was supposedly too big for lowers and it was some of the best lowers I've ever watched. I doubt that if conditions look awesome on Sunday they call it off.

Reactions: 2surf

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
yup cuz the WSL is known for making the best calls at this point.
If it looks great early morning they will run. There's nothing before the biggest day to even consider running, and if it's not great as we expect, they still have the most likely best conditions on Monday.

In fact they may run on Sunday even if conditions are bad just so they can get more viewers being a Sunday (thus proving your point).

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019
Judging criteria according to Stab. I assume/hope just a portion of the criteria:

Maneuvers and Factors that Judges will be analyzing:

● Innovative airs that are of the highest level of difficulty and technicality will be the highest rewarded maneuvers, especially when performed on critical sections or within a combination of turns.

● Big airs and progressive maneuvers when performed on the first section, critical sections and within a combination will be highly rewarded.

● Single airs or progressive maneuvers need to have a very high degree of difficulty and technicality to be scored in the excellent range.

● Combining major maneuvers that are explosive and tight in the pocket or high in the lip line with extra speed and power. Maximizing the degree of difficulty and showing variety within these combinations.

● When analyzing airs judges will take into account factors such as the height, distance traveled, speed/angle of rotation, difficulty of grabs, the landing and how critical the sections they are performed on.

● Loss of control and extended time taken to ride out of maneuvers can impact a surfer’s score. Only maneuvers that the judges deem to be complete will be scored. For maneuvers on closeout sections to be deemed complete the surfer must continue riding back in front of the whitewater with forward momentum and the body centered back over the board.

• Haha
Reactions: sponge

ReForest

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2020
Surfed Lowers yesterday and Joa Chianca was looking insane! Ethan Ewing looks really good and its great news that his back isnt hurting him, but Joa was surfing with so much energy. I saw Jack Robo on his way down but didnt see him surf. I'm putting money on Chianca.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I'm middle-aged and barely follow the tour - but for god's sake, this has to the last year of this crap - finish the tour in waves of consequence. Sorry Filipe.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
As much as I dislike the WSL I must admit I am interested mostly due to the Ewing drama.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Judging criteria according to Stab. I assume/hope just a portion of the criteria:

Maneuvers and Factors that Judges will be analyzing:

● Innovative airs that are of the highest level of difficulty and technicality will be the highest rewarded maneuvers, especially when performed on critical sections or within a combination of turns.

● Big airs and progressive maneuvers when performed on the first section, critical sections and within a combination will be highly rewarded.

● Single airs or progressive maneuvers need to have a very high degree of difficulty and technicality to be scored in the excellent range.

● Combining major maneuvers that are explosive and tight in the pocket or high in the lip line with extra speed and power. Maximizing the degree of difficulty and showing variety within these combinations.

● When analyzing airs judges will take into account factors such as the height, distance traveled, speed/angle of rotation, difficulty of grabs, the landing and how critical the sections they are performed on.

● Loss of control and extended time taken to ride out of maneuvers can impact a surfer’s score. Only maneuvers that the judges deem to be complete will be scored. For maneuvers on closeout sections to be deemed complete the surfer must continue riding back in front of the whitewater with forward momentum and the body centered back over the board.
They left out:
Degree of Brazilianess and "passion" with emphasis on number, originality and completion of claims on each and every wave.
o_O