free press
protect those who can't protect themselves
borders, language and culture are what defines a country
stop scaring everyone all the time in order to control them - climate etc
Don't let the un-elected decide our fate
school choice
cops
less wars
limit welfare to get people back to work - benefits limited to less than you can make working
the govt does not give us our rights - our rights prevent our govt from taking them
Politics should not be a lifetime career
should i go on??
now do some of yours

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I like the USA
free markets over govt control
merit over equity*
free press*
protect those who can't protect themselves*
borders, language and culture are what defines a country
stop scaring everyone all the time in order to control them - climate etc*
Don't let the un-elected decide our fate*
school choice
cops*
less wars*
limit welfare to get people back to work - benefits limited to less than you can make working
the govt does not give us our rights - our rights prevent our govt from taking them
Politics should not be a lifetime career*
should i go on??
This sounds all fine and good but those starred are absolutely divergent from what the conservative sector of this country actually practices. In particular:

Conservative ideology is hardly about picking up the little guy, actually about squashing them down further for profit
Free press - yes but blatantly lying shouldn't be part of that
Fear? That's literally everything conservative media peddles. There's people in Middle America TERRIFIED of California with its wall of homeless.
Less wars? Criminy we finally got out of Afghanistan thanks to Biden.
Un-elected deciding fate - like Roe vs. Wade?

now do some of yours
Don't hoard - share any excess you have
Merit over nepotism - no legacy BS; level playing fields
Merit over flaunted wealth - fuck your attempted access by paying people off
Education - bring back remedial, gifted, and vocational tracks. Suspend/expel the troublemakers.
Less law enforcement and more mental health treatment, especially related to drug and alcohol crimes - end prison as a $$$/recidivism industry where the poor are cycled in and out
Much greater enforcement/incarceration towards white collar crime - make the penalties proportional to street theft (if stealing a $1,000 car stereo gets you 6 months in jail, $100K in fraud gets you 50 years)
Environmental conservation and limited development in unspoiled areas
Freedom until one's actions inhibit the freedom, life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness for others
Personal responsibility - own your fuckups, no matter how painful - show a little spine and honor.
Support your local small business (this include shapers)
Break up large businesses/monopolies and have a more level playing field, giving the people more freedom of choice
Severely punish businesses for wanton environmental destruction, consistent defective product manufacturing, unsafe labor practices - liquidate and auction the whole damn thing off if need be, especially if trying to game the system
Severely reduce advertising and remove all billboards in non-urban areas (owner expense - you blighted it, you remove it)
End corporate ownership of single-family residential housing
Eliminate any foreign ownership of US land or property
Tax religious institutions, including property tax (10% of course)
Truth over deceit (no matter how much money is at stake) - this is the biggest moral failing in this country IMO and it could use a strong cleansing, especially throughout the business community.
I need convincing that the 5th Amendment shouldn't be repealed. If you're that much of a bag of sh!t that telling the truth would get you in MORE trouble, you should probably be in prison in the first place. (see personal responsibility)

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma
Thanks for sharing I agree with much of what you say and disagree with some as well - which is FINE we are not all the same, that too is FINE - Yet when some here label me as this or that I just have to laugh because I am a little of a lot of different things as are many of us.
The press can lie all they want, just make it a level playing field and we a re smart enough to figure it out. As soon as someone gets to decide what is ok or not we slide backwards to a police state.
Merit over nepotism sounds like how it should be but not a reality. Private companies can do what they will and if hiring your kid over someone more qualified is your decision then let your co. suffer the ramifications.
You have libertarian leanings as do I.

Reactions: Ifallalot and Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Merit over nepotism sounds like how it should be but not a reality. Private companies can do what they will and if hiring your kid over someone more qualified is your decision then let your co. suffer the ramifications.
Was thinking about college admissions in particular on this but it's true - both education and corporate entities can select who they want. And for the former, there is usually $$$$ attached.

It's that kind of corruption I loathe.

You have libertarian leanings as do I.
Definitely but I also know that it's completely unrealistic to live that lifestyle to its purist utmost, which is nihilism. It's easy to cherry pick that philosophy to your leanings and kinda why that movement cracks me up.

Keeping it surfing related and on the concept of purity, am I the only one who finds the idea of the instagrammers whoring out their passions for product-hocking to be a bit repulsive? Why can't you just share what you do and the stock involved instead of having to add the money angle?

Last edited:

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma
Was thinking about college admissions in particular on this but it's true - both education and corporate entities can select who they want. And for the former, there is usually $$$$ attached.

I would propose that college admission forms do not have gender or race on them - why should either matter?

It's that kind of corruption I loathe.

Definitely but I also know that it's completely unrealistic to live that lifestyle to its purist utmost, which is nihilism. It's easy to cherry pick that philosophy to your leanings and kinda why that movement cracks me up.

Keeping it surfing related and on the concept of purity, am I the only one who finds the idea of the instagrammers whoring out their passions for product-hocking to be a bit repulsive? Why can't you just share what you do and the stock involved instead of having to add the money angle?
Pro surfing does the same - I don't have to consume it though - that that gets reinforced.. yada yada