*** OFFICIAL RELIGION THREAD ***

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Is everyone a starfucker? Jesus. This need to feel connected to greatness.

Maybe that is religion.
No, just that atoms are long-lived. Genghis Khan was another person mentioned after Shakespeare. Maybe you're missing the point. Here's the full paragraph:
Because they are so long-lived, atoms really get around. Every atom you possess has almost certainly passed through several stars and been part of millions of organisms on its way to becoming you. We are each so atomically numerous and so vigorously recycled at death that a significant number of our atoms—up to a billion for each of us, it has been suggested—probably once belonged to Shakespeare. A billion more each came from Buddha and Genghis Khan and Beethoven, and any other historical figure you care to name. (The personages have to be historical, apparently, as it takes the atoms some decades to become thoroughly redistributed; however much you may wish it, you are not yet one with Elvis Presley.) So we are all reincarnations—though short-lived ones. When we die our atoms will disassemble and move off to find new uses elsewhere—as part of a leaf or other human being or drop of dew. Atoms, however, go on practically forever.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
No, just that atoms are long-lived. Genghis Khan was another person mentioned after Shakespeare. Maybe you're missing the point. Here's the full paragraph:
Because they are so long-lived, atoms really get around. Every atom you possess has almost certainly passed through several stars and been part of millions of organisms on its way to becoming you. We are each so atomically numerous and so vigorously recycled at death that a significant number of our atoms—up to a billion for each of us, it has been suggested—probably once belonged to Shakespeare. A billion more each came from Buddha and Genghis Khan and Beethoven, and any other historical figure you care to name. (The personages have to be historical, apparently, as it takes the atoms some decades to become thoroughly redistributed; however much you may wish it, you are not yet one with Elvis Presley.) So we are all reincarnations—though short-lived ones. When we die our atoms will disassemble and move off to find new uses elsewhere—as part of a leaf or other human being or drop of dew. Atoms, however, go on practically forever.
I don't think I am missing the point. I think understand the interconnectedness of all things, atomically speaking. It makes sense to my semi-educated (w/r/t physics) mind. It's not any one historical figure, it's possibly all of them.

My point is that rather than say "interconnectedness of everything" some people prefer to use well-known historical figures/celebrities to who we might be/are connected. That is what I meant by religion essentially stemming from need to feel connected to greatness.

Reactions: ghostshaper

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I don't think I am missing the point. I think understand the interconnectedness of all things, atomically speaking. It makes sense to my semi-educated (w/r/t physics) mind. It's not any one historical figure, it's possibly all of them.

My point is that rather than say "interconnectedness of everything" some people prefer to use well-known historical figures/celebrities to who we might be/are connected. That is what I meant by religion essentially stemming from need to feel connected to greatness.
Agreed that some people have the need to want to elevate their significance in this world, perhaps by feeling connected to some celebrity somehow.

Bryson is only making the point about the temporal longetivity of atoms, using a fun fact to illustrate this point.

I only posted this quote bc someone posted something about recycling.

Reactions: enframed
Jul 14, 2021
So many interesting opinions here. The difference between religions started a lot of wars in the past. It is funny because the main point of practically every religion is peace and being a good person. For example, the difference in religions doesn't bother me because the faith of people in their god is important. I always visit churches in Portland, and the priest always says that we don't need to hate people who follow other religions because they are the same as us, with their hopes and beliefs.

Last edited:
we are conduits to a blood oath, religion has killed more people than anything, moods feelings sensations and emotions are the ultimate gifts from God. Know the origin of the Father. "Listen to what Thee Man says..." ; It is all about reunions, Multinationalism is turning against America... America is turning against Isreal. STAY IN THE WORD yall it's akeeper. USA is a nation of individuals Neutrality COMMANDS Can Not Exclude Non secretarian Private or religious schools.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Surfing is my number one belief system.

Aside from that, on land, I'm a practicing member of a Zen offshoot of The Dao called IDGAF.

I DON'T GIVE A FAAK.

and you? Who do you worship?

It is what It is;
You are what you It.
There are no mistakes!
Belief system, faith, spirituality etc … a separate deal than religion- I don’t need any human institutios (religion) for it. I don’t need a fckn middle man/organization to “get my god on” - they just get in the way 9/10 times.

Many of these institutions are mainly after control and power - “You want God, the only way is the the when, where n how that we tell you“ Fck em.

YMMV.