***Official Real Estate Thread***

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I didn't read this whole thread, but buying a house in La Conchita is a pretty bad idea.

Buying THAT house at La Conchita is dumb, and dangerous.

I'm sure someone covered this, but....
Good luck getting anything permitted on your property.
Good luck getting it insured.

Reactions: hammies

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
These things should be discovered during escrow/title/property search.

Someone somewhere should have signed off on this, that everything was on the up and up, and if you signed off on the 'as is' status, hmmm, I don't know.

Look at purchase docs for initial guidance.

What is the nature of the work that was done?

Work that involves structural details or adds room generally requires permits and may cause reassessment which is probably why they did not file for permits.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
They have to at least have some sort of temp coverage while you get the permits and or get the sh!t ripped out, whatever the case may be. Can’t imagine this is the first time a homeowner has had this kind of snafu

sucks man, I’m sorry. No good deed goes unpunished

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
To be clear:

- all the illegal work was done without permits before you bought the place.

- all the illegal work was noted during the purchasing, as in, this was pointed out on forms/papers you signed

- all the illegal work was not noted on the title, or was it?

- mortgage drawn up is for home with illegal work, or not?

- the insurance was drawn up with the illegal work listed, or not?

- 3 months later, insurance is cancelled

The bank only wants to lend money and make a profit doing so, their inspection is just to cover their butts if you can't make the payments.....they want to know they can sell it can cover their costs, and that is about it.

The insurance company only wants to make money off your premiums and they rely on inspections that backs up their actuarial tables....they want assurance the wall isn't going to fail and crush someone which in turn means they might have to part with a few dollars.

Am guessing the insurance company had some intern doing their job and noticed discrepancies somewhere, took the findings to their boss and here we are.

Or someone finked on you to Building Dept and that got the ball rolling. Neighbors or dirty rotten ex?

Something like this happened with Friend #1 and his converted Victorian in Hayes Valley. Had to rip everything out of the ground floor unit, get it inspected that it was ripped out, go through a whole bunch of crap, wait a year for the random inspections to fall by the wayside, then put it all back in. Without permits again......no way SF Building Dept would let it happen, too low of a ceiling height. Later rents it out to other (small) people at discount and hopes they do not know building codes and try to fck him over. He thinks former tenants ratted him out. Or his neighbors.

PS

What Subway said. And would the mortgage holders drop you without insurance? Probably. That is their money you are supposed to be protecting via insurance.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Doof to do list for R.G. so no goodbye post needed for daughters illegal work in gifted home....

1 check escrow papers from closing.

2 search for title insurance company

3 contact said title insurance company

4 have them earn their money and fix this for you.

Hope it helps/works.

It would have in the 90's when I ran the mortgage division of a high tech company South Bay Area credit union.

:waving::shaka:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
You pay for title insurance in all RE closings. It's one of those fees that seem to get added on by the banks at the last minute to get themselves some extra cash at closing. That insurance protects everyone involved in the signing of the purchase/transfer of said title for the property being purchased. 100% guarantee the bank makes the title insurance company earn their money if anything goes wrong at closing, you should too.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
What $1,500,000 buys in my neck of the woods:eek::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::cry:-

my friend just finished a reno on Hayvermeyer

neighbors on all sides have MASSIVE avo trees in backyard

there's a 6 foot tall babay growing in the corner

I told her to make that the first picture in the brochure!

OWN A SLICE OF GUACAMOLE HEAVEN

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Reactions: sdsrfr

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Been a month, what is the haps with this, RG?
I got new insurance
a family friend is an insurance broker and hooked me up with a homeowners insurance company that had no problem with the unpermitted work
a few hundred extra per year, but definitely feel like I dodged a bullet

Reactions: Mr Doof and Aruka

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

anyones guess if this will have a measurable impact? my old NCSD neighborhood was inundated with short term rentals due to walking proximity to the beach and town.
I was in Carlsbad 2 years ago and it was nuts. Every other house was a short term rental.
Far cry from when my dad was running around those streets and I was playing foosball as a 5 year old at The Sandbar overlooking Tamarack

Reactions: sdsrfr

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I got new insurance
a family friend is an insurance broker and hooked me up with a homeowners insurance company that had no problem with the unpermitted work
a few hundred extra per year, but definitely feel like I dodged a bullet

Excellent! Hope it makes sleeping at night easier.

Sometimes it is who you know.