***Official Real Estate Thread***

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

anyones guess if this will have a measurable impact? my old NCSD neighborhood was inundated with short term rentals due to walking proximity to the beach and town.
1%... except in mission beach, where it will be 30%....so, who on the council is it that owns the mission beach rental properties?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
E-shake on the following:

1) we'll do the close price on 4/30 to determine the winner.

2) over 3700 and Mr Doof's paypal account will be $100 richer, 3700 and under LifeOnMars is $100 richer.

Now to bookmark this thread.
Closing price on Friday the 29th of April was above 3700, which means the opening price on Monday 2nd of May was above 3700.

Will send PM for details on where to send the $100 by Paypal.

1651510237441.png

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Closing price on Friday the 29th of April was above 3700, which means the opening price on Monday 2nd of May was above 3700.

Will send PM for details on where to send the $100 by Paypal.
it's coming just not as quickly as I had hoped

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
So what does everyone think is going to happen to the real estate market with the rising rates?

Not really seeing any slow down whatsoever just the pool of potential buyers dropped. So now instead of 100 rich dudes trying to buy coastal homes you got 50.

i don’t see prices dropping in places like San Diego or anywhere coastal.

housing shortage still applies and people need a place to live.

Will be interesting as we enter the next economic shift.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
So what does everyone think is going to happen to the real estate market with the rising rates?

Not really seeing any slow down whatsoever just the pool of potential buyers dropped. So now instead of 100 rich dudes trying to buy coastal homes you got 50.

i don’t see prices dropping in places like San Diego or anywhere coastal.

housing shortage still applies and people need a place to live.

Will be interesting as we enter the next economic shift.
Agreed. I could see crappy and marginal markets like midwest cities declining in price (and already are), however hot markets where people actually want to live will continue to increase, just probably not as rapidly. Rising rates has taken out some competition, but there is still plenty of buyers in the game like you said.

We still have limited supply and plenty of buyers who all want in to the same handful of zip codes.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Fuk that

I saved most of my life, and I have a serious problem using that to even go any more than $20k over asking. The game has changed, I'll inherit my parents' home and let the animals eat each other up in this market

Reactions: sdsrfr and Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
during the open house there were tons of aholes pulling up with their $150k cars acting all snooty. the area is family oriented and does not have many ppl like these in the past when i used to live there. guess the snooty areas are overrun so the aholes r branching out pushing out the middle class. oh and lower middle class these days is $250k combined annual household income

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Fuk that

I saved most of my life, and I have a serious problem using that to even go any more than $20k over asking. The game has changed, I'll inherit my parents' home and let the animals eat each other up in this market
I mean some take this approach.

But at the end of the day- you need a place to live and many want the stability to live in one place for a long time and not pay someone else and make them rich for the privilege.

there is ALOT of money with young 30-40 crowd in areas like hawaii and California. And many of them make good money and parents are also hitting retirement age with huge 401ks giving some to their kids.

so that is how you get houses 100-200k over asking. it’s crazy to see.

like I said- I don’t see any price drop in those markets coming. Just far too many people And not enough house

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Hope so - Mom downsizing and home on market on Fri for 3.2 - realtor siad most likely get few offers at broker open on Thurs

Damn who has all this cash?? Wonder what she will get??

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
We've been looking but nothing in our range is coming up. Something finally did but it was a fixer built on a sloping lot. Our realtor told us it needed foundation work. We did some foundation work on our present house, a 1920's beach bungalow on a flat lot (repairs and earthquake retrofit). I figured you could totally replace a foundation for 50-70k. But when we went to see the house the whole house was tilting. And at the back of the house was retaining wall at the property line, which would mean involving neighbors for the repair. The area was nice, the house would have been perfect and the price left a lot of room for repairs, but we reluctantly walked away...

Oh and it went contingent within 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc