*** Official Quiksilver/Roxy Pro G-Land Contest Thread ***

slickjc

Nep status
Jul 1, 2004
so. cal.
Medina didnt have to surf the elimination round..( the first half of the season) and he goes right into the second half and onto the title round.
Is that fair to everyone else who had to surf with a chance of being kicked off of the tour?

I bet all of the guys who got knocked off of the tour would have rather sat it out and come in at g land.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Medina didnt have to surf the elimination round..( the first half of the season) and he goes right into the second half and onto the title round.
Is that fair to everyone else who had to surf with a chance of being kicked off of the tour?

I bet all of the guys who got knocked off of the tour would have rather sat it out and come in at g land.
Hes a world champ and with that comes privilege

Reactions: bluengreen and jkb

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Hes a world champ and with that comes privilege
If so, if I was JJF(besides having a stable of hotties and my own island) or any other top-tier surfer who has been on tour a while I would ditch the 1st half of the year rest and train.
What's the point of reinjuring yourself, wearing out your body, and riding the emotional roller coaster if you can avoid it? Come back strong and fresh and push hard at the end.
Medina is a master at gaming the corrupt corporate-influenced system. And Sally getting the free-pass is payback for her being Miss WSL Positive Warrior her entire stinkbug career.

Reactions: Havoc

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
why don't i like jack robo's surfing? he's obviously a barrel wiz but his turns are rarely pleasing to watch and i'm often baffled by the high scores he gets.

i didn't watch many heats but Medina looked very solid and in form. it's a shame they struck out so hard on the conditions.

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
It was always Medinas to lose. His heat with Robo could have gone either way imo. The Brazzo tears all over social media are pure gold. Such gracious losers.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
It was always Medinas to lose. His heat with Robo could have gone either way imo. The Brazzo tears all over social media are pure gold. Such gracious losers.
Lesson for all of us here: be a gracious winner :)

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Why did all the commentators keep saying "clutch"? What does it mean when they say "clutch turn"?

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
that last exchange between medina and robo, at first i thought medina got ripped off
he got a bunch of turns and jack only had a few
but u[pon closer inspection gab did a bunch of low risk turns, jack detsroyed the lip so hard so in the pocket he was upsidedown, judges like to reward risk and the first big turn on a wave, then he came outta that turn into a tube... that combo alone was what was better than medina

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
It may come to pass:

WCT CT Event #8
June 23-30, 2022
Oi Rio Pro Presented By Corona
Saquarema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
To be fair, Saquarema has delivered some of the best surf on the tour for the last 2 years….