*** Official National Parks Thread ***

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
3 weeks sound great.

A few more questions if you don't mind. How far in advance did you have to reserve your camp site? Which campground? Tent camping? Grizzly precautions taken?

Our neighbor went last summer and showed me their bear spray and holsters. I can imagine being charge by a grizzly and spraying Raid at it.:nana:. He and his wife are not really hikers and I doubt they went anywhere away from crowds. We go on pretty long hikes (max about 12 miles out and back). I think you'd have to be prepared for an encounter.

They went in an RV. He said it was in the 20'sand 30's every night. Brrrly. We camped once when it unexpectedly got into the 20's. Woke up to find every liquid frozen solid. I learned to always have water in a pot or coffee maker ready to put on the stove in the morning.

ps will be expecting pics.
I reserved everything in January; some areas were tough to get, so we're camping right outside and not in, Glacier NP. Sleeping in the van. Flying the kids out to meet us for the week at Glacier.

We are doing 4 nights in Grand Teton (Gros Ventre campground), 4 nights in Yellowstone (Canyon Campground, maybe:shrug::drowning:), night in Missoula, 4 at Glacier, a couple in Idaho, 3 in Portland, and a couple on the way home.

My wife is anti it, but I bought some bear spray. Weather looks good, so far, this far out. Nights in the 40's. Days in the 80's. We'll see...

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
SOunds nice. Just curious-lodging or camping?

Can we divert some of that water to California or Arizona?
Not at this time.

Yellowstone River flows to Missouri River.

Be interesting to do try to figure out if geology/topography makes it easier to get it to Columbia R (via Snake) or Colorado R (via Green). Just dam the Yellowstone Lake, fill the caldera, and see where the water spills over.

But yeah, that would destroy a passel of ecosystems...and all that extra water on top of a known super volcano?

• Wow
Reactions: rice

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
I reserved everything in January; some areas were tough to get, so we're camping right outside and not in, Glacier NP. Sleeping in the van. Flying the kids out to meet us for the week at Glacier.

We are doing 4 nights in Grand Teton (Gros Ventre campground), 4 nights in Yellowstone (Canyon Campground, maybe:shrug::drowning:), night in Missoula, 4 at Glacier, a couple in Idaho, 3 in Portland, and a couple on the way home.

My wife is anti it, but I bought some bear spray. Weather looks good, so far, this far out. Nights in the 40's. Days in the 80's. We'll see...
That sounds great. Have fun with your family.

Reactions: rice

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

If you're in Glacier, you're pretty close to Banff and Jasper.

Regarding bear spray, it supposedly makes a big wide cloud of spray that mama bear runs right through before she gets more pissed and mauls you, haha.

Attachments

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
National Park, Landmark, who's counting anyways?

Lake Siskiyou with Mt. Shasta in the background. Camped at Lake Siskiyou with the family Wednesday to Friday, midweek was great because very few people in the actual tent sites. Ton of space for kids to run around. Great food/beer in Mt. Shasta Village too. Rented a boat and cruised around the lake. One of the better camping trips - would definitely go back again. Only about 4 hours away too.

1655743450417.jpeg

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
National Park, Landmark, who's counting anyways?

Lake Siskiyou with Mt. Shasta in the background. Camped at Lake Siskiyou with the family Wednesday to Friday, midweek was great because very few people in the actual tent sites. Ton of space for kids to run around. Great food/beer in Mt. Shasta Village too. Rented a boat and cruised around the lake. One of the better camping trips - would definitely go back again. Only about 4 hours away too.

View attachment 132069

Have you taken the kids to Burney Falls yet? Under rated and amazing.

Reactions: Kento

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Hope the wild-land firefighters can stomp this one out quickly!

Good article on how important fire is to the lifecycle of the mighty Sequoia.

Mariposa Grove

1657290096984.png

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Hope the wild-land firefighters can stomp this one out quickly!

Good article on how important fire is to the lifecycle of the mighty Sequoia.

Mariposa Grove

View attachment 133316
I think they not only fight fires aggressively near the "name" groves, but they also manage them carefully (keeping secondary growth under control.

Reactions: crustBrother

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I think they not only fight fires aggressively near the "name" groves, but they also manage them carefully (keeping secondary growth under control.
That's what I'm given to understand.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Finally got around to uploading photos. Went up to Lassen last week Wednesday through Friday, camping with the family up in Manzanita Lake. Nice campsite but was a wee bit spoiled from Siskiyou. Got the campsite and family situated and went for a hike/run to the Chaos Crags crater. Still had to go back and build fire to cook dinner but after all the chaos, was awesome to just breathe, even for 10 minutes with a coldie perched on a rock in the crater with absolute quiet, zero noise. Except for rockslide above me but it was miniscule, which made it crazy that I actually heard it. Sunset there would have been nice but had to hustle back so did a quick run downhill.

Spent Thursday all day up in the park, we hiked to Bumpass Hell via Cold Boiling Lake. Bit of an uphill for the kids and my mom but we were all rewarded with the beautiful stench of sulfur as we approached all the mudpots. Pretty neat, like a Yellowstone Jr. From there, heading over to the base of the Lassen Peak trail (I'll come back for that another time along with Cinder Cone) where there was still some snow. Warm day so snowball fight in mid-July was quite awesome.

Decamped next day and stopped by Subway Cave and Burney Falls on way back. Hot day in 90s but cave was in 60s or so; super refreshing. Giant lava tube. And Burney Falls was just badass. Too bad they don't let you swim; super clear water. Did the trail up and around the falls and it was well worth it. Cool seeing several PCT thru-hikers passing through. Ice cream there hit the spot all right.

Lassen from Manzanita Lake
P7131430.JPG

Chaos Crags - normally a pond at bottom but not today
1658381455558.jpeg

Lassen again
1658381509572.jpeg

Boiling mudpots in Bumpass Hell
1658381563555.jpeg

Cold Boiling Lake - Dixie Fire devastated almost as far as eye could see in places.
1658381594363.jpeg

Snow at trail base. Apparently they had to close the trail for a while before because of excessive donkeys on the 4th cutting switchbacks, causing rockslides, alltrails has the scoop. Note to self - only do on a weekday and start EARLY. Snowpatch was site of aforementioned snowball fight.
1658381648397.jpeg

Emerald Lake
1658381758485.jpeg

Kids exploring Subway Cave
1658381790798.jpeg

Burney Falls
1658381820849.jpeg

Burney Falls from the other side
1658381846968.jpeg

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
The GF and I are taking a spontaneous road trip to Wyoming/Montana big sky country this week. We're thinking about checking out Jackson WY, Yellowstone, Missoula MT. Is this a good itinerary? No reservations anywhere, just winging it as we go. Would love to see large wildlife and maybe fly fish somewhere epic. Any recommendations, must see/do, places to avoid, lodging suggestions are greatly appreciated.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
How long is your trip? Yellowstone you could explore for weeks and not see everything. It's big and there is a lot to see and experience.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I just realized Burney Falls was a couple miles from the Stand By Me bridge. Damn it. That would have been cool as hell to see. I would have also definitely chased the kids across the bridge, making them yell Train!

Next time.

Yellowstone is awesome, GeoPac. Enjoy it. Don't just go to Old Faithful and leave. Take that walk north of there through all the geysers and those blue pools of death. Kinda cool - you can get a preview on Google Street View.

Great itinerary. Try to go through Glacier National Park if you have the chance. Insanely beautiful. Depends on how much time you have. But you are kind of in the area.

There's some cool geology around Missoula, especially the Ripples. Concept behind that is nutty; tremendous amount of force. https://www.nps.gov/places/glacial-lake-missoula-national-natural-landmark-camas-prairie-ripples.htm I remember it being a cool town - went to some bar with boards on the walls. Guess they have a bit of river surfing there.

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
How long is your trip? Yellowstone you could explore for weeks and not see everything. It's big and there is a lot to see and experience.
6 days. Not nearly enough time to do much in all three spots I know. Gonna try to make the most of it with the short amount of time we have. Open for all/any suggestions.

Reactions: r32 and Aruka