*** Official National Parks Thread ***

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
PPK--How was that? I haven't been, but the Canyon de Chelly is by all accounts spectacular.
Deb, her sister, brother-inlaw and myself went. T''was pretty neat for an "islander". The big 6x6 army trucks just plowed through the river crossings and the entire trip was bitchen.

Also did the Sky City portion of the Acoma Pueblo, outside of Albuquerque. Loved that place and how they held off other tribes from there vantage point at 365 feet. It's about 70 miles from ABQ.

Reactions: ringer

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
how long do you have and where will you be staying while there? I was just up there last weekend which I always try to do this time of year before the crowds really show up.
View attachment 130521
I hope you don't do THAT. Seen too many videos of people getting charged by bison to ever get that close and especially to let toddlers that close. Toddlers up close, crouching down, eyeing the bison???? :foreheadslap:

Reactions: rice

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Anybody been to Sequoia since the fire last summer? Was thinking of going in the next couple of weeks...

ps We've gone up the coast to Mendocino/Humboldt every summer for years (missed the last two due to the virus). This time I did the calculation and it would cost over $600 for gas round trip. My 85 Vanagon gets 15-20mpg (probably closer to 15 given the nature of US 1) and requires premium gas. We hug the coast the whole way (over 625 miles).

Fook.

I called the Ford dealer right after that calculation to see if they are taking orders on the hybrid Maverick (I was told months agao they would open in June). No date set for orders to reopen. And I've heard stories of folks waiting a year after ordering. Used ones go for $10,000 over MSRP.

:crazy2:

Last edited:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Anybody been to Sequoia since the fire last summer? Was thinking of going in the next couple of weeks...

ps We've gone up the coast to Mendocino/Humboldt every summer for years (missed the last two due to the virus). This time I did the calculation and it would cost over $600 for gas round trip. My 85 Vanagon gets 15-20mpg (probably closer to 15 given the nature of US 1) and requires premium gas. We hug the coast the whole way (over 625 miles).

Fook.

I called the Ford dealer right after that calculation to see if they are taking orders yet on the hybrid Maverick yet. No date set for orders to reopen. And I've heard stories of folks waiting a year after ordering. Used ones go for $10,000 over MSRP.

:crazy2:
Second Maverick sighting yesterday. Seemed really small for a camper setup.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This is natl park thread not pos fix or repair daily micro truck thread
Well, how much it costs to get to the NP is relevant.

A friend of mine just drove through Gorda- 9 .16 regular, 10.16 premium. :drowning:

Ghostshaper- I've given up on the Transit. I can't afford to have two cars, so whatever I have is going to be both daily driver and camping rig. Retirement means a reduced income. Also trying to relocate. New area would be about 5-6 miles to the beach instead of 1. 42 mpg starts to sound really good. We would be tent camping.

Anybody been to Sequoia after the burn?

Last edited:

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
might want to rethink that trip right about now seeing as much of the part might not be open come that time with the recently events.
Definitely. I'm not even sure that the West entrance (or any of the entrances) would be open for my June 27 arrival, and if the W entrance does open in time, it looks like I would be confined to the southern part of the park. Having never been there, it's hard to know if that would be worth it.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Yeah, my vacation plans for the summer are kinda fucked. I've got a rental in Bozeman for a month, was going to get some fly fishing in with trips to the park. Northern half of the park looks impassible and on their ig the park folks were talking about having reservations or something for the southern entrances. Fuck.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Camping all but a night in Missoula, and maybe Bozeman, and then 3 nights downtown Portland on the way home...

Taking 3 weeks.
3 weeks sound great.

A few more questions if you don't mind. How far in advance did you have to reserve your camp site? Which campground? Tent camping? Grizzly precautions taken?

Our neighbor went last summer and showed me their bear spray and holsters. I can imagine being charge by a grizzly and spraying Raid at it.:nana:. He and his wife are not really hikers and I doubt they went anywhere away from crowds. We go on pretty long hikes (max about 12 miles out and back). I think you'd have to be prepared for an encounter.

They went in an RV. He said it was in the 20'sand 30's every night. Brrrly. We camped once when it unexpectedly got into the 20's. Woke up to find every liquid frozen solid. I learned to always have water in a pot or coffee maker ready to put on the stove in the morning.

ps will be expecting pics.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Wear a bell, and carry your bearspray in a holster. If you see one give them their space. I had an encounter with a bear and some wolves when I was in the park in 2020. Kept a respectful distance, and all of my digits. The big thing is making sure they can hear you coming so any encounter you may have isn't in close quarters.

PS: wolves are way fuckin scarier

Reactions: grapedrink and rice