*** Official National Parks Thread ***

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Yellowstone is geology in action. It's like watching the earth being created.
Yosemite is the earth after it's been all polished and cleaned up by God.
Both are fukkin' amazing, crowds notwithstanding.
That's a great analogy.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Another notch in the belt or pistol handle. Petrified Forest/Painted Desert-
IMG_9154.jpgIMG_9402.jpg

IMG_9241.jpg

Also been to Grand Canyon many times but for some reason never ventured below the rim. What was I thinking?
Went down 3 miles. The further down you go the less crowded it is. Convinced my wife that an overnight hike to Indian Gardens is doable. After talking to folks coming up from the river the Havasupai Valley (west end one canyon) is now on my bucket list.
IMG_9113.jpg

Also went to Canyon de Chelly. Very few people there but no hiking. We spent one day driving to the lookouts on the rim and one day on a tour with Navajo guide (required) in a Pinzgauer 6 wheel drive. Amazing location and the drive was like the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland.
IMG_6152.JPGIMG_9336.jpgIMG_6174.JPG

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
funny, I haven't been to painted and petrified forest since I was a really little kid and I still have clear memories of it.

Went to the grand canyon approx 5 years ago and was blown away. I was shocked thinking it wouldn't be anything special as an adult.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
New National Parks Docu. series on Netflix narrated by Barack. Starts on his home state of Oahu @ Hanauma Bay so it's surfing related. :)

This was an amazing habitat I never knew existed. :geek: Those 'things' are so cool. :cool:

an endangered Von der Decken’s Sifaka clings to a limestone pinnacle in the Tsingy de Bemaraha National Park in western Madagascar.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
**One-Off:
Also went to Canyon de Chelly one day on a tour with Navajo guide (required) in a Pinzgauer 6 wheel drive. Amazing location and the drive was like the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland.**

When we went (about 8 years ago) we got the big 6 wheel army rigs crossing the river and pushing deeper into the canyons. We also had to pull out a regular 4x4 truck that got caught in the sandy bottom. Bitchen place for an Island boy to see. Deb picked up a sliver and turquoise bracelet from one of the Indian vendors.

Have done the Bright Angels trail down to Phantom Ranch and back and camped three days there. Certainly a slow trudge back up. I'd leave at 3:00 / 4:00 in the morning just to be half way up before the sun rose now.

Just watched the National Parks vid that former President Obama did. Pretty cool starting at Hanauma Bay on Oahu. The good ole US of A, certainly can and does provide some epic, beautiful National Parks for us all to see and enjoy.
Chilean Patagonia was neat. The Kenya segment was great.

Last edited:

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Headed to Yellowstone at the end of June for a few days w/ my lady. If anyone has any major do's/ don'ts, please share em!
Not quite Yellowstone, but if you're in Cody, Wyoming, the Buffalo Bill Center for the West museum is worth a visit; five museums in one location. Hubby got lost/intrigued for hours in the Firearms Museum, while I spent more time in the Natural History Museum. Sure you're inside, but there's the raptor experience outside that was amazing, too.
Some info here -> Center of the West museum

While in Yellowstone, don't let yourself get too bugged by all the yahoos, you'll see 'em chasing bison, letting their toddlers try to touch bubbling springs, and littering. People being assholes almost ruined our visit during our 10-month road trip in 2019.