***Official Monkeypox Thread*** UPDATE: "We" failed to get on top of it!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yes.

I think he his assertion (underlined part) is giving the general population far more credit than it is due:

Such experts have also asserted that the risk of monkeypox to the broader population not having multiple sex partners remains low — evenvery low.” This is hopeful news, and the wider public deserves to be reassured accordingly. Assuaging fears of contagion will help fight unhelpful hysteria and prevent gay and bisexual men from being subjected to even greater stigma should they be painted as culprits of the spread of virus to others.

Are they culprits?

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Let me repeat myself:

Me choosing to use a different identifier than you (specific v. current) was me trying (in vain) to not to pigeonhole the current cohort of monkey pox afflicted humans in the course of (lame) gallows humor joke. "Don't worry about the specific group, decent chance it will spread from current group to everyone!"

Fear sells. Plus I think it has a 2-5% fatality rate. Triple that of CV-19......does CV-19 still have 1% fatality rate. Has the fatality rate ever been agreed upon by a majority of infectious disease people?

Apparently this aspect is true mostly in Europe and USA.

Elsewhere:
View attachment 134016

Woo, am winning the late 60's childhood vaccine regime!
No, the fatality rate is listed at less than one percent. And that is probably based on statistics from Africa, where health care is largely non-existent. I don't know where you got your numbers. And no one has died yet. Nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Mr Doof

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
That was an interesting word choice by the author:
An important word choice given the way certain demographics have been portrayed as essentially murderers based on how they conducted their personal lives through the COVID epidemic.

Like, "if you don't mask, you're killing people!".

I've always held to the perspective that the virus was the killer not the virus' host (ignoring the edge case where the virus' host intentionally seeks to infect another person without that person's consent)

Reactions: Mr Doof and PRCD

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I don't know where you got your numbers. And no one has died yet. Nothing to worry about.
1. From here (click me).

Key facts
  • Vaccines used during the smallpox eradication programme also provided protection against monkeypox. Newer vaccines have been developed of which one has been approved for prevention of monkeypox

• Monkeypox is caused by monkeypox virus, a member of the Orthopoxvirus genus in the family Poxviridae.

• Monkeypox is usually a self-limited disease with the symptoms lasting from 2 to 4 weeks. Severe cases can occur. In recent times, the case fatality ratio has been around 3–6%.

• Monkeypox is transmitted to humans through close contact with an infected person or animal, or with material contaminated with the virus.

• Monkeypox virus is transmitted from one person to another by close contact with lesions, body fluids, respiratory droplets and contaminated materials such as bedding.

• Monkeypox is a viral zoonotic disease that occurs primarily in tropical rainforest areas of central and west Africa and is occasionally exported to other regions.

• An antiviral agent developed for the treatment of smallpox has also been licensed for the treatment of monkeypox.
  • The clinical presentation of monkeypox resembles that of smallpox, a related orthopoxvirus infection which was declared eradicated worldwide in 1980. Monkeypox is less contagious than smallpox and causes less severe illness.

• Monkeypox typically presents clinically with fever, rash and swollen lymph nodes and may lead to a range of medical complications.

2. I am not worried for myself and mine, re. Monkey pox.

3. Marburg sighting but maybe this is only deadly to those who believe that viruses can infect people (this should be good for another 10 pages). (I think I need to add a disclaimer here due to recent interpretations of my typings, so while theoretically concerning, practically speaking, this Marburg "outbreak" (can two dead be an "outbreak"?) will likely end up the same way previous outbreaks have run their course, which people can read about here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka