*** Official Michelob Ultra Pure Gold Haleiwa Challenge Contest Thread ***

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
11,384
5,468
113
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Wind looks pretty suspect for later this week and into the weekend.
That's one of the reasons I figured they had to run today. They must have around five or six full days of comp (mens and womens). Got some size coming this weekend but the forecast winds are ugly!

Even today, the surf is not appealing, but probably will get worse into the weekend.
 

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
11,702
1,316
113
42
Goleta

you don't a vaxx to fly anywhere within the US of A
Oh sh!t, I was just kidding, but it looks like he may be unvaxxed and an antivaxxer.....
"And for people saying listen to the doctors, I’m positive I know more about being healthy than 99% of doctors, but I wouldn’t trust me.

"But most of my covid info comes directly from doctor friends, many of them in disagreement with the official 'science'."

In August, Slater made headlines for speaking out about coronavirus vaccinations but insisted he was not anti-vaccines, just did not wish to receive one for COVID-19.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
11,702
1,316
113
42
Goleta
Was wondering the same thing. Looks like some hefty waves and mediocre conditions will have to be navigated. I'm not well versed with how that wind affects it though.
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 12.25.10 PM.png
 

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
11,384
5,468
113
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
So... How do they plan on finishing this contest?
Men and Women have 15 heats each left (30 total). Assuming at least 30 minute heats, that pretty much mean two full days of competition (8am-4pm; last heat of day needs to start before 4pm; some breaks between heats). Waiting period for both extends to Dec 7, so they have six days to finish around 16 hours of competition.

Big swell forecast for the weekend, tapering into early next week. However winds will be of most concern, coming out of the NNW to S during that period.

If I were a betting man, given the current forecast I would guess they *will not* run on Sat or Sun.
 

vanrysss

Nep status
Mar 25, 2019
751
1,548
93
Looks too north for Haleiwa though, I thought that place really liked a west? Should be an uptick in swell tomorrow, and light winds so maybe they'll be able to run the full day?
 
  • Like
Reactions: sponge

vanrysss

Nep status
Mar 25, 2019
751
1,548
93
Yeah, I don't get it. They could have run yesterday afternoon too, it was pumping.