*** Official Michelob Ultra Pure Gold Haleiwa Challenge Contest Thread ***

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Since it is separate from the Vans Digital TCOS I guess it deserves a separate thread...

1637617747073.png

Event: Michelob Ultra Pure Gold Haleiwa Challenge
Location; Haleiwa's Ali'i Beach Park
Window: Nov 26 - Dec 7, 2021
Series: Final event of the 2021 World Surf League Challenger Series with points determining future
Website: https://www.worldsurfleague.com/events/2021/mcs/3825/michelob-ultra-pure-gold-haleiwa-challenger
Broadcast: Worldsurfleague.com, YouTube, WSL App, local TV such as Spectrum Hawaii 20.

Surf News Network article: https://www.surfnewsnetwork.com/michelob-ultra-pure-gold-haleiwa-challenger-is-closing-in/

Last edited:
Reactions: Boneroni

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
There Is A Serious Clash Of Veterans And Rookies About To Go Down At Haleiwa (WSL, 11/25/21)

Surf is up on this Thanksgiving Day (11/25). Pretty sure the contest will be starting tomorrow, the first day of the waiting period. Good luck to all the competitors, old and new alike.

Here's a shot I took a decade ago at a Haleiwa contest. Surf was small with a northish swell angle (bad for Ali'i Beach). Corey Lopes, Reef Hawaiian Pro, 11/22/2011.
111122_01.jpg

Last edited:

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Reactions: PPK96754

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Jake Marshall ripping. Mason not so much.
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Mase needed a tail pad.

P.S. what the hay is a "Naturalist Surfer"? Asking Ross Williams here... He mentioned Mason and Coco were naturalists because they don't use tail pads? How much air is between those blonde hairs on ya head my boy? Do their surfboards not deteriorate the moment they hit the salt water? Are they using all natural materials over there at Mayhem? Dinn think so.... Naturalist indeed.

Me thinks it takes more than huffing a little pakalolo, and eating granola chia bowls with yoghurt to be a "Naturalist".

Matter of fact, any "eco-concious surfer" is a friggin joke. You polute every single time you surf, duh!

:shameonyou::shrug::shameonyou:

Last edited:
Reactions: sponge

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
many of the regular foots did droop-arm ala JJF.
understandable.
who wouldn't want to surf like him?

:cheers:

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Fark, some pretty great surfing in day one.
I think Barron Mamiya is gonna be the new Jjf. So much poise and control.
But for right now, JJF is still amazing and leading the way in progression and serious surf

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Mase needed a tail pad.

P.S. what the hay is a "Naturalist Surfer"? Asking Ross Williams here... He mentioned Mason and Coco were naturalists because they don't use tail pads? How much air is between those blonde hairs on ya head my boy? Do their surfboards not deteriorate the moment they hit the salt water? Are they using all natural materials over there at Mayhem? Dinn think so.... Naturalist indeed.

Me thinks it takes more than huffing a little pakalolo, and eating granola chia bowls with yoghurt to be a "Naturalist".

Matter of fact, any "eco-concious surfer" is a friggin joke. You polute every single time you surf, duh!

:shameonyou::shrug::shameonyou:
Ok, let's talk about tail pads. Caught a little bit of the Ross Williams discussion on "naturalist surfer." Original explanation was not specific to tail pads. I don't recall the exact words but when he first started talking about it, I thought he was implying free surfer with a free spirit attitude. Diverged into other stuff including no tail pad but I didn't make the jump in logic. Again, I wasn't really listening so probably missed the explanation.

Here's Mason nine years ago at the Backdoor Shootout, sans tail pad.

120108_01.jpg

Mason Ho's Dream Wave (Surfline, 2014)

Mason Ho, Surfing On Reef POV Full Experience (Ho & Pringle Productions, 2021)
(Btw, this place is pretty gnarly)

Mason a "naturalist surfer"? Maybe. Mason a fun surfer? Definitely!