**Official** Margies Wozzle Contest **Official**

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Take aways going into Rnd 16:

-No one on tour can touch JJF carve for carve in 6-you name it' righthanders.

-Nearly everyone looked like they would've benefitted from a slightly longer board when the swell was maxing.

-There were some impressive efforts by the goofies, but overall they weren't too impressive. Lots of under the lip slides that were cooler when Occy did them.

-It looked tough to get a good wave. Lots of wanking straight legged lip dodges disguised as laybacks.

-Stace Galbrath is a welcome addition, but he's clearly bored already. You'd have better odds hitting a kangaroo in the parking lot than getting Griffin to take the bait on whining about scores or answer with anything insightful. (I though his scores were fine considering he surfed well on some of the smallest waves of the day.

-Jack Robbo was a massive disappointment.

Reactions: MathDebater

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I really don't get it with The Box. I think its a terrible wave for a surf contest.
I actually agree with this.

IMO it's flat out unfair to goofy's (and I'd say the same thing for you regulars if it were a left)
FS has a huge advantage.

Yeah yeah, I'm sure someone will quote this with a pic of Italo's wave and Owen's big one, but that's just 2 waves. The regulars backdoored and waltzed through so many more waves.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
The Box looks really fun. That doesn't make it a good wave for a contest.

1. Unlike Pipeline it is not well suited for backside surfing. At times Pipe gives an advantage to backside surfing.
2. Its a relatively short but intense barrel. There is no down the line section like Pipe, Tavarua or Chopes. It really doesn't stretch out. It unloads in one spot and the ride is over.
3. The last time they ran there some surfers advanced and others eliminated simply because of the rotation that the priority situation in the heat created.
4. Its not a place where someone who needs a score can get one without priority.
5. Its a spot where every regularfoot on the tour is capable of riding that barrel and winning the heat if the rotation of waves and priority falls in their favor.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
OK, my opinion's swung again... if Robbo can switch it like that, then "normal goofies" can surf the box just fine.
LOL. that wave is 2 foot.

I'd love to watch someone try that one the waves that Italo or Owen got a while back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boneroni

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
r-cal owning everyone with the vertical backside assault
lol at madonna with his earing dangling goin over the falls hassling