Official ....Lost custom order thread

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
stoked you are digging the sub 2.0 @kool-aid. I really liked my old subdriver swallow tail but it's been kind of replaced by the Patterson Stok-ed. I'm not fully sure I love the Patterson but I feel more consistent on it. probably just the additional volume helps since I've put on a little weight.

sucks to hear about the Pyzalien. I've yet to ride one but in my experience with other Pyzel's they usually take more juice to come alive than cali shapers like Mayhem/Stamps. I've had best luck with balanced to more raked templates in his designs. DHD L's are pretty much my go to in my Ghost/Shadow. Liked the AM2 and Jordy's in my Phantom. would suck to spend more money on fins and have it still be a dud though if you're already pretty dialed with FCS2 fins.

If it was me I'd wait for a solid day before taking the Pyzalien out again. The swells we've been getting up here have been pretty weak lately so I've been sticking to the twin fin because the last time I took out a HPSB it just felt like too much work.

Sorry for the sidetrack!
Some good news here. The board is definitely a lot more performant now that I've gotten a chance get some new fins into it and get it into some more real waves.

I'm not sure how much of the improvement is due to the fins versus the conditions but I can definitely say it's a marked improvement. When I first ordered a set of pyzels I honestly thought they were dogs until I switched from FCS FTs to JWs. The difference was night and day.

This board is futures unfortunately but I went with a pair of Jordy fins and that seemed to do the trick. Now the board feels really really good on the right wave.

The thing that I still find a little weird is that it seems to really struggle when it hits flat spots or weak sections. That's a little bit tough to deal with at OBSF where that is a very common occurrence. At least things are heading in the right direction.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Some good news here. The board is definitely a lot more performant now that I've gotten a chance get some new fins into it and get it into some more real waves.

I'm not sure how much of the improvement is due to the fins versus the conditions but I can definitely say it's a marked improvement. When I first ordered a set of pyzels I honestly thought they were dogs until I switched from FCS FTs to JWs. The difference was night and day.

This board is futures unfortunately but I went with a pair of Jordy fins and that seemed to do the trick. Now the board feels really really good on the right wave.

The thing that I still find a little weird is that it seems to really struggle when it hits flat spots or weak sections. That's a little bit tough to deal with at OBSF where that is a very common occurrence. At least things are heading in the right direction.
Glad to hear it's feeling better man. I have been close to ordering a Pyzalien many times but I kind of had this suspicion it would require somewhat of a pushy wave. Not that that's a deal breaker as long as you know what you're getting into. I haven't surfed OB but I have a feeling the waves I surf are pretty similar but probably worse for the most part so having a board that deals with some flat spots is key.

I take it Subdriver 2.0 is better in than Pyzalien in this regard? With the extra foam forward how does it paddle and catch waves compared to the OG Subdriver?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Yeah the sub driver is not phased by flat spots. The board also catches waves significantly better than the Pyzalien despite having over 1L less volume. I honestly think the new sub driver just does everything better than the previous. Paddles better, catches waves better, is faster, etc.

One thing I would say about the Pyzalien is that I think it's a little bit more high performance than the sub driver 2.0 in critical sections.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah the sub driver is not phased by flat spots. The board also catches waves significantly better than the Pyzalien despite having over 1L less volume. I honestly think the new sub driver just does everything better than the previous. Paddles better, catches waves better, is faster, etc.

One thing I would say about the Pyzalien is that I think it's a little bit more high performance than the sub driver 2.0 in critical sections.
epic

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
I had two of the first versions of sub drivers and they just didn’t work for me.
as soon as i got on a stubby bastard , oh boy. I was happy again.
And i’ve read many comments saying the pyzalian is even better than the stubby bastrd so, to each their own I guess.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Anyone ride a ref redux? Thoughts?
I think I'm about to order one. Been debating between getting a 6'2 roundtail phantom or 6'0 rocket and decided after today's surf I'm going rocket. Might just order both haha but at least Rocket first. Will be my kinda in between dd as I already have a couple 5;10s for groveling (fish, puddle jumper) and couple 6'2/3s for head high + (quiver killer, local Hpsb).

Reactions: Havoc

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Only 2 surfs on mine so far. Think in between buddle jumper and shortboard as far as wave catching ability.
fast but still requires input

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i think i commented somewhere that my buddy has an rnf redux but it's actually an rnf retro! he likes it a lot for cabo waves. he rides that one when it's smaller up to a overhead as long as it's not super powerful. he hops on his quiver killer when the waves have more power.

Reactions: Havoc

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
i think i commented somewhere that my buddy has an rnf redux but it's actually an rnf retro! he likes it a lot for cabo waves. he rides that one when it's smaller up to a overhead as long as it's not super powerful. he hops on his quiver killer when the waves have more power.
+1 on the RNF retro. I have one in XTR and it's pretty versatile. has some flip in the nose for later drops

Reactions: Aruka and Havoc