Official ....Lost custom order thread

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This is one of the reasons why FireWire was able to break into the industry and become so popular.

People were sick of it. FireWire offered up a good alternative.

Plus FireWire was smart and let shops carry their boards without having to pay up front for them.

Good business sense and it worked
Firewire was able to break into the industry and become popular due to offshore manufacturing coupled with their consignment model, marketing and Tomo.

In fact 9/10 if I see a FW it's a Tomo. And I'm seeing less FWs.

They would not exist, nor would their consignment model exist, if they weren't using cheap labor in Asia.

It's as simple as that.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Firewire was able to break into the industry and become popular due to offshore manufacturing coupled with their consignment model, marketing and Tomo.

In fact 9/10 if I see a FW it's a Tomo. And I'm seeing less FWs.

They would not exist, nor would their consignment model exist, if they weren't using cheap labor in Asia.

It's as simple as that.
local shop has rows and rows of long ass Tomo's and Torq Channel Islands pop outs.
They had a handful of locally shaped fish and they were gone within a month.
People still want local boards when it's convenient.
Other local shaper has some cool boards but guy in water told me it took 6 months to get a board made.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
local shop has rows and rows of long ass Tomo's and Torq Channel Islands pop outs.
The FWs often sit, and sit, and sit.

Sooner or later they get marked down. $399, $499.

I'd really love to know their price/unit.

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
People still want local boards when it's convenient.
Other local shaper has some cool boards but guy in water told me it took 6 months to get a board made.
How about all the funboard sized Tomos on the racks? How does this happen? Do the folks that order the boards for the shop just not know how they're supposed to be ridden? Is FW pushing them?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The FWs often sit, and sit, and sit.

Sooner or later they get marked down. $399, $499.

I'd really love to know their price/unit.
At that Economy of scale? From cobra factory- around 99 bucks.

Plus FireWire business model is to not charge the shops to hold the boards. So shops love keeping FireWire inventory. Free to sell and only get paid if they sell.

Reactions: Havoc