**** Official J-Bay Pro Thread ****

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
toledo really earned that over the guy whose career i already saw when he was called matt hoy

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
R32, the womens event is still happening.

If you don't keep this thread sticky I predict we are going to have a lawsuit on our hands about the gender thread sticky gap :hat:

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Boneroni said:
R32, the womens event is still happening.

If you don't keep this thread sticky I predict we are going to have a lawsuit on our hands about the gender thread sticky gap :hat:
I'm looking forward to watch the chicks at JBay. Did they have separate waiting periods?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Q_Surf said:
super stubby boards, much like a fish, tend to feel better to the user than they look to the observer. i haven't seen him complete a rounded arc in a long time.
Agree to an extent.

Google "Kelly Slater in Kolor"

You can see exactly where those stubby boards would be better and worse.

Look how good Slater's surfing in Hawaii looked back then on longer boards

And how crappy it looked - compared to present - in marginal conditions on longer boards

But today he's pretty much riding the same stubby stuff in all conditions.

part of this too might be that his legs lack the power anymore to push a full volume board as hard as his peers.
If that's the case you wouldn't know it from the way the guy manhandles Tomo's shapes.

I think he's in better shape from muscle perspective than he was in the 90s. You never see the guy training but he's obviously training and it's had a dramatic impact on his surfing and the way he moves.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
brukuns said:
I'm looking forward to watch the chicks at JBay.
Me too. Actually, I'm looking forward to it quite a lot! Watching Steph and Carissa surf right point breaks kinda soothes my surf soul. I'm sure Lakey will look good too. (hetero-code double meaning intended :grin2:)

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
silentbutdeadly said:
yeah starts the 6th.

Interested in watching carisser, lakeyer, stephaner light up those walls.
Dude, don't forget about Malier's classic down carves.

How many times do you think Turpel is going to say the word "Historic" about the women competing at j-bay? :barf:

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
how about we do some sort of cancer victim kick starter, and if we reach a certain $ amount one of us gets to kick turpel square in the nuts during a broadcast? anyone got a connection to make this happen?

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
BileBoy said:
I love Jordy.. but man 7.10 for 4 floaters on a big-ish compared to Julian's consistently varied and critical surfing? Overscored
Scoring was all over the place for sure. But then again WSL can't even equate how points are assigned to their "criteria". My fav was Gabby getting 9's for pretty regular waves, bobbling here and there, and claiming like Arnold Swarzenneger. :bigdeal:

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
000 said:
toledo really earned that over the guy whose career i already saw when he was called matt hoy
I had the same thought.

If Wade Carmichael can make finals in the WSL then there is no saving pro surfing from itself.

This isn't a knock on Wade -- he's clearly a great surfer even to make the tour -- but Felipe is like 4x more skilled and exciting.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Oh yes, they are soooo 'pushing the boundaries of technical innovation' by moving to the FB platform. :roflmao: :foreheadslap:

emissions

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 8, 2004
NS
Seems like Sophie has taken some donuts to start her WSL tenure.

The Pipe Masters permit fiasco and now this.

It's usually three strikes and you're out in the C-suite but then again it's surfing.

If she moves Margaret's to Uluwatu for good and brings back Fiji she might bounce back from this.