**** Official J-Bay Pro Thread ****

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
ocean7847 said:
Q_Surf said:
i know we're all fired up on the idiotic fb force-feeding - but let's not forget to bitch about the lousy scoring (eg connor oleary's mysto 8.5's vs zeke). connor's board surfed like sh!t. :shrug:
i'd love to join in your outrage, but since being forced to abandon ship with FB due to my crazy ex (although in hindsight, I'm glad I got off that social media smack) i was not even permitted to watch. the combo sucker punch of removing the heat analyzer was a deal knell. J-Bay was one of my favorite contests, and now basically i'm not going to watch a single wave.

on the plus side, i surfed this morning. and on the negative side, i kooked it on almost every wave and it got blown out in an hour. win some/lose some.
win some ocean584745763399034766: they've brought back heat anal. on the wsl web page. :wave2:

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Heat Analyzer doesn’t even work. What a sh!t show.
Test this whole Facebook thing on a QS contest before going into production :rolleyes:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
jackcheez said:
jkb said:
I can't replay Slaters heat.
I stumbled on to this in Youtube.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY_niMfBRzc[/video]
it looked too fast and loose
perhaps the tails too wide?
not sure exactly what he rode but it didnt have holding power

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
They've gotta figure out how to incorporate that planing speed into a normal board that you can get on rail like a normal board.

I would like to try that model.

emissions

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 8, 2004
NS
Racer1 said:
Hdip said:
Q_Surf said:
[
:roflmao: based on that eyeball graphic i was one of 2,300 around the planet watching.
The eyeball graphic which shows how many people viewing is regional. That's how they target ad's. I don't know how big or small the regions are. It only shows you your region though.
I think that's bullshit. When I was watching, people were commenting "Hi from Florida" or "Checking in from Brazil" so how is that regional if I'm in Hawaii.
Uh, yeah... the eyeball isn't regional. That's everyone watching that particular stream. They have 4 streams in different languages.

For me the English feed on day 1 had 1.5K viewers before it crashed then day 2 for Slaters heat had about 3K. Then I fell asleep.

Edit: So there's USA English, Brazil Portuguese, Rest of the World Spanish and Rest of the World English. You'll get slotted into USA or Brazil if you're in that "region" and the choice of the other two if you're not.

emissions

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 8, 2004
NS
And that heat analyzer is YouTube based which is probably why it wasn't there in the first place .. bet FB isn't happy with that. Probably had to meet at some middle ground after shitting the bed on the first day.

To be a fly on the wall of some FB shlub's cube as they got reemed out by some other shlub from the WSL.

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
000 said:
jackcheez said:
jkb said:

beyond the fact his legs looked weak, sl8 looked over-amped, twitchy, and so wasn't reading the waves well. jordy provided a stark contrast.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Q_Surf said:
000 said:
jackcheez said:
jkb said:

beyond the fact his legs looked weak, sl8 looked over-amped, twitchy, and so wasn't reading the waves well. jordy provided a stark contrast.
not sure what he rode: he rode his 'step-up' 5'9" cymatic.

perhaps the tails too wide? it was a round tail. unsure of width. probably standard though.

it looked like it didn't have holding power: light weight constructed potato chip style boards DO NOT AND WILL NEVER MIX with any kind of choppy conditions.

slater has become the new millenias cheyne horan. if he rode higher volume, better rail/rocker distribution, he would still be owning the tour.

personally? his injury was THANKS TO HIS LOW VOLUME BOARDS!!!

never will you put your foot through 3" of foam.... unless of course you put the power of a bruce lee one inch punch into your feet as you lean the board over on rail.

imho, slater is a victim of his own experimentations.... you cannot ride surf ranch boards at j bay amd expect to pass heats, well YOU can, but the results are self evident... kelly, we thought you knew this already? the correct board under your feet, you would have smoked jordy.

butt, to each his own, i bet he is the one having the most fun.... 46 and still pretending to be in his 20's!

buyah!

jackcheez

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 9, 2015
Slater's board looked fun as fvck. It doesn't seem to do the WSL maneuvers that well tho.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I think Slater is doing what Tiger did with his more recent golf career. Tiger was stubborn and his ego did not allow him to admit he was wrong with swing changes, hiring new coaches, etc. Slater seems to be in the same boat with his board selections the last few years on tour.

Also, Slater has had issues with his back (similar to Tiger) as well as his foot. Is he letting himself get fully healed properly, or coming back to early (like Tiger did)? I remember after he broke his foot, there was footy of him surfing some pretty big waves with a foot that wasn't fully healed.

Third, years ago he seemed bored with competition. Must be hard to keep the drive after 11 titles. I think that might be feeding into his board experiments too.

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
agreed. his ego, now that he hasn't been winning anymore, needs validation as the leader of !PROGRESSION!

if he's trying new progressive tech's, he can be abdicated for losing. why else break out unconventionally funky shapes during heats?

super stubby boards, much like a fish, tend to feel better to the user than they look to the observer. i haven't seen him complete a rounded arc in a long time. part of this too might be that his legs lack the power anymore to push a full volume board as hard as his peers.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
grg said:
stu dog said:
Heat Analyzer doesn’t even work. What a sh!t show.
Test this whole Facebook thing on a QS contest before going into production :rolleyes:
HA does work
ever heat and/or wave I'd select in Round 2 it'd take me back to the start of Michel's heat on the YouTube playback.