*** Official Italian Sandwich Thread ***

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Also, forgot to mention . . . . Sourdough is the most overrated bread on the planet.

Yeah, I said it :ban:
Totally depends. A true sourdough baguette for a sandwich is too tough, usually. For French Toast though, now you're talking. A sourdough that actually is a little sour is a nice counterpoint to sweet toppings.

Also works very well for a ham & butter sandwich and bruschetta.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Totally depends. A true sourdough baguette for a sandwich is too tough, usually. For French Toast though, now you're talking. A sourdough that actually is a little sour is a nice counterpoint to sweet toppings.

Also works very well for a ham & butter sandwich and bruschetta.
Yeah for sure. I like sourdough in a breakfast setting, although even then I usually opt for rye or an english muffin.

In terms of Italian sandwiches, I wish more California sandwich places made sandos that look like this :

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 9.24.27 AM.png

This is more of a standard for what you find on the east coast, whereas the standard west coast sandwich outside of some notable exceptions (like some of those posted here, I'm sure) look more like this:

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 9.56.52 AM.png

The sandwich shop that was inside the Hearst Ranch/San Simeon post office used to legendary. Very similar to the first photo I posted and with all locally sourced high quality ingredients. Long line and wait times but it was worth it. Then they got bought out by a local family that owns one of the more well known restaurants in north SLO county. They replaced the menu with basic sandwiches made with crap Costco ingredients and proceeded to get slammed on yelp.

Seems to be par for the course when any restaurant, brewery or winery gets bought out, unfortunately.

Reactions: PPK96754

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Yeah for sure. I like sourdough in a breakfast setting, although even then I usually opt for rye or an english muffin.

In terms of Italian sandwiches, I wish more California sandwich places made sandos that look like this :

View attachment 98270

This is more of a standard for what you find on the east coast, whereas the standard west coast sandwich outside of some notable exceptions (like some of those posted here, I'm sure) look more like this:
Steak and Hoagie in Ventura and Hueneme were the BOMB after surf sammies growing up and they're sorta like that. Industrial Eats in Buellton has some that seem to almost have a cult status, like that tongue pastrami on rye and cuban.

Reactions: grapedrink

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
I definitely bought music from you if it was around that time. I remember getting White Blood Cells there and my roommates were Strokes junkies. I lived on Figueroa St and mostly walked, skated or biked around town.
I lived all over SB: Arlington, Arrellaga, Micheltorena, Eucalyptus Hill. Ironically I lived in Goleta when I worked at Just Play Music.

Reactions: PPK96754

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
This is the official for Italian subs/heroes/hoagies. IDGAF where you live, if you have a good one near you, post it. By Italian sandwich I mean cold cuts.

I've been in LA for a year now and have enjoyed:

Bay Cities "Godmother" (Santa Monica)
Cafe Roma "The Italian Sandwich" (Pasadena)
Pizzana - kind of a muffuletta (Brentwood and Weho, when they have it)
Larchmont Wine & Cheese
Mickey's (Hermosa Beach)
Bud's Deli (Santa Monica)

For Santa Cruz, where I lived for 15 years:

Zoccoli's (Downtown)
Deke's (7th Ave)

Never lived in SF but my wife tell's me:

Viking (Marina & near SFCC)
Hazel's Kitchen (Potrero Hill)

I'm sure there's more.

Santa Barbara:

Tino's ( on Carrillo, owned by the grandson of the Italian Grocery dude on de la Guerra)

Whatcu got?

PS: I know there are good meatballs sandos out there. Start your own GD thread about meatball sandwiches, ya meatball!
Garden Liquor Deli in Santa Cruz on Soquel by Dominican Hospital. Their hot Italian Special sammy. Fresh sweet french roll, hot roast beef, provolone cheese, their pickle/pepper/lettuce/onion/tomato relish and their homeade pesto. They make some of the best hot sandwiches in the area. One of those places you could drive by 1000 times and not even know unless somebody tells you.

Reactions: grapedrink

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Garden Liquor Deli in Santa Cruz on Soquel by Dominican Hospital. Their hot Italian Special sammy. Fresh sweet french roll, hot roast beef, provolone cheese, their pickle/pepper/lettuce/onion/tomato relish and their homeade pesto. They make some of the best hot sandwiches in the area. One of those places you could drive by 1000 times and not even know unless somebody tells you.
Yes! Totally forgot about about Garden Liquor & Deli. Great sandwiches, probably the best value in Santa Cruz. I would often get the mortadella sandwich. Owner is a very nice guy too, I forget his name, used to sell him wine...

Greg, the owner's name is Greg. Super chill dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Yes! Totally forgot about about Garden Liquor & Deli. Great sandwiches, probably the best value in Santa Cruz. I would often get the mortadella sandwich. Owner is a very nice guy too, I forget his name, used to sell him wine...
That's the deal with that place. They are so low key you forget about them or don't even know they are there. They don't suffer though. Always a line out the door every day at lunch. I had a Dr appt on Thursday next to Dominican so I stopped off there on the way home and got an Italian Special. Made to order, hot. less than $7. Thier Hot Pastrami sandwich is the best Hot Pastrami sandwich in the county.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Coppa is amazeballs. I want to get a pound of it sliced thin and dome it with a bottle of red and/or some beers. Not sure why I haven't done that yet :unsure: