*** Official Italian Sandwich Thread ***

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Always loved the godmother and just recently had "the sandwich" at Roma. It's an exercise in simplicity but man is it good.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
My wife brought one home yesterday, just ate it for lunch (it holds over well next day due to lack of veg). Simple and good indeed.

I was honestly underwhelmed by the first bite. But then I found myself finishing it quietly without stopping for a break or talking. Would totally do it again.

Reactions: enframed

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I definitely bought music from you if it was around that time. I remember getting White Blood Cells there and my roommates were Strokes junkies. I lived on Figueroa St and mostly walked, skated or biked around town.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Completely agree. Bay Cities' bread is too tough a sourdough. Still not bad.
just got a italian sub at Buds cause of this thread made me hungry. also needed a notary service and there's one across the street. Bud's doing ok business right now but they're just keeping afloat with the offices across the street all closed. sandwich was good as always

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
once i put a slice of lasagna between 2 slices of garlic bread
it was awesome

ive also mixed gorgonzola inoke with lasagna which was also delicious

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
just got a italian sub at Buds cause of this thread made me hungry. also needed a notary service and there's one across the street. Bud's doing ok business right now but they're just keeping afloat with the offices across the street all closed. sandwich was good as always
NEED MOAR SHUTDOWNS!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
once i put a slice of lasagna between 2 slices of garlic bread
it was awesome

ive also mixed gorgonzola inoke with lasagna which was also delicious
In college my roommates and I would put spaghetti with tomato sauce in a tortilla with cheddar and fry it like a quesadilla. I also used to dump Chef Boyardee ravioli on a baguette from Our Daily Bread (remember that bread?) Best bread in SB back then.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Some guys at one of the places I worked at in a past life decided to make this epic meal time fast food lasagna for lunch one day. Needless to say nothing got done for the rest of the day and a couple of them had to take the next day off from having such bad shits/stomach aches. I had a bite but couldn't bring myself to eat a full sitting of that sh!t.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
AC sub rolls are the fucking best, got that extra bit of chew to it. Also better for a cheesesteak, especially pizza steak than philly rolls.

I think the tasty tap water is a result of the pine barrens aquaphor
spent a lot of time surfing the AC Inlet as a kid....we'd come out of the water after dawn patrol, just after the daily delivery of fresh Italian bread to the Puerto RIcan corner grocery store on Oriental Ave.. for about a $1.50, you could buy a fresh Italian sub roll, still warm, and a little package of Philly cream cheese...grab a wooden ice cream paddle on the way out of the store, split open the sub roll, and slather the cream cheese up and down the inside of the roll. it was an awesome post-surf munch breakfast for a bunch of broke kids:shaka:

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Basically any deli or Italian speciality store on the south shore will make some variation(s) of the Italian hero and they’re all amazing

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Also, forgot to mention . . . . Sourdough is the most overrated bread on the planet.
Yeah, I said it :ban:
How dare you sir!

It is incredibly delicious when it's fresh out of the oven, warm with melted butter and garlic sprinkles. It's also incredibly delicious for cinnamon bread in the morning, fresh out of the toaster. Spread a little butter. Add some fresh ground cinnamon. That's good living before a morning session.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
How dare you sir!

It is incredibly delicious when it's fresh out of the oven, warm with melted butter and garlic sprinkles. It's also incredibly delicious for cinnamon bread in the morning, fresh out of the toaster. Spread a little butter. Add some fresh ground cinnamon. That's good living before a morning session.
Yeah I could dig on that . . . . Just like any other kind of fresh cooked bread. Don't get me wrong, I think it can be great, it's more that it's low on my list of bread choices. Especially for sandwiches.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
luigi's (redondo, circa 1980)

yeah, its been a while but damn good italian sandwichs back in the day