Official *** I HATE GOPHERS THREAD ***

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I used to be the master at trapping those fuckers on the farm I managed in CA.

best was early morning harvesting. I heard a light thump and 5ft away the resident red tailed hawk was staring me in the face. He took off with a gopher in his talons.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Black Box traps. Two of em. A mound of dirt normally leads down to a tunnel going two ways. You have to get a good dig and trap placement, else they will come up on it, know something ain’t right, and push dirt at it. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve uncovered traps packed with dirt. A trap flush with the tunnel and then cover the hole to block out all light is key.

Taken at least 12 out of my front and back yard over the last 6 years. They are crafty lil fukkers.

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
Black Box traps. Two of em. A mound of dirt normally leads down to a tunnel going two ways. You have to get a good dig and trap placement, else they will come up on it, know something ain’t right, and push dirt at it. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve uncovered traps packed with dirt. A trap flush with the tunnel and then cover the hole to block out all light is key.

Taken at least 12 out of my front and back yard over the last 6 years. They are crafty lil fukkers.
^^^^this. hav used them on 4 prorperties now. and yes crafty!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Some guy I've run into on surf trips from the Lakes grew up out in rural Minnesota, in a town of 200 people. He had land, his family farmed it, he had work to do.

He told me he'd have to go set leg traps or some such to get them because they're crafty, then he'd have basically a fish billy to beat the thing's brains in. He said he'd carry a shotgun in case a trapped gopher or the dispatching thereof ticked off any adjacent badgers.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
my cat used to stalk the holes and eat them whole except for the
skull and the guts which he would politely leave behind the lilies

• Haha
Reactions: sushipop

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
what i consider to be one of my greatest achievements in life was plucking one in the face with my Gamo air rifle. little sh!t was sticking his mug out early one morning just enough to give me a shot. i left the body in the tunnel as a warning to his mangy friends who were thinking about taking over his territory. didn't see any fresh mounds for about a year or so.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
knock on wood but it's been good in the last year and a half or so since I got a full size dog. I have no idea if that's what it is but I've seen them at my neighbors but my property is pretty quiet

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Had 'em pretty bad about 5 years ago, tried everything. gopher bomb, water, traps.
They'd just come up somewhere else. Finally called an exterminator.
He had this cannister with some kind of gas and a prod that he stuck down in the ground.
Gophers gone. Haven't seen one since.
Pony up for the exterminator, it was only $120 and was guaranteed.