*** Official HIC Pipe Pro (Qualifying Series) Contest Thread ***

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
I still cant believe the WSL did not do a live broadcast for this event. Feels like a giant missed opportunity on there part. Instead they gave us recap videos that have the feel of ESPN's 'Hot Summer Nights' from the 80's. At this point, I dont know why I expect more from them for they have proved over and over they dont give a rat's ass about true surf fans.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
I still cant believe the WSL did not do a live broadcast for this event. Feels like a giant missed opportunity on there part. Instead they gave us recap videos that have the feel of ESPN's 'Hot Summer Nights' from the 80's. At this point, I dont know why I expect more from them for they have proved over and over they dont give a rat's ass about true surf fans.
Agreed.

Now that the WSL has three tiers of competition, they probably can't afford to broadcast all the lowest-tier Regional Qualifying Series events. But Pipeline is Pipeline.

Reactions: Hump and PPK96754

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
My sister works at HIC. Don’t blame them they were brought in at the very last minute to pony up the prize money. 50K. HIC was hoping to make back the money on merch at Haleiwa and at Pipe but it was so last minute my sister said she couldn’t find blanks to print girl’s tops.

Told her if they run the contest next year I bet you guys will have huge posters of John with the HIC logo on his singlet in every store window. She laughed.

Reactions: sponge

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
No blame to HIC, this is on the WSL. The fact I watched the final via Nathan Florence's glitchy live youtube stream (and enjoyed his commitary more than 90% of the broadcasts I've seen) doesn't give me much hope the WSL will ever try to target the core audiance.

Props to HIC for stepping up and help provide an event that helps out the local rippers!

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
My sister works at HIC. Don’t blame them they were brought in at the very last minute to pony up the prize money. 50K. HIC was hoping to make back the money on merch at Haleiwa and at Pipe but it was so last minute my sister said she couldn’t find blanks to print girl’s tops.

Told her if they run the contest next year I bet you guys will have huge posters of John with the HIC logo on his singlet in every store window. She laughed.
I would buy a t-shirt. The design looks really nice.

211217_HIC_stand.jpg

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
No blame to HIC, this is on the WSL. The fact I watched the final via Nathan Florence's glitchy live youtube stream (and enjoyed his commitary more than 90% of the broadcasts I've seen) doesn't give me much hope the WSL will ever try to target the core audiance.

Props to HIC for stepping up and help provide an event that helps out the local rippers!
Agreed again.

Very little coverage and no official live streaming which we expect nowadays. I still remember when the first live stream started, I believe at this very event (different sponsor) in 1998. A security company hosted it on a website, pre-YouTube and other live streaming platforms.

HIC has always supported the local contest scene. Props to them. I'm definitely going to grab me a shirt if they are still selling them.