*** Official Griffin Surfboards Thread ***

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
Geez all these years reading Griffin’s post on here I’m able to understand some of it.
Keola Rapoza is a local shaper who used to specialize in T&C longboars when they had more than one shaper doing that at a time.
Todd Pinder is a transplant shaper who specializes in logs both modern and classic, fishes, mini-sims type boars.
Teene used to be a lifeguard at Sandy’s but is now a Westside local legend.
The 3 time world champ is Rusty Keaulana.

Griffin is saying you might not think much of the boar he posted but a few of our local shapers, Rusty and according to Teene the lokes at Makaha think otherwise.

Your welcome.

i think i found the boar for you

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
i think i found the boar for you

My sister works there and I’ve tried a couple of FCD. I think they misspelled the model name. Should be named the “Wild BORE.” hahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
McTavish had a similar bottom on his Vee bottoms
Cory Whitlock is a long time Oceanside local and he was checking out my Revo with the Vee Quad Concave. He said that Vee bottoms were originally made for big boards for surfing big waves. He said the Vee makes the boards a little slow, so you need a wave with power, so it was used on bigger board. The benefit to the board being slow is that it went from rail to rail very easily. He said that design was sort of abandoned and was later used in fish boards or boards with wide tails. Concave bottom with Vee out the tail or spiral Vee or whatever was used to help the board roll on rail.

However from what i've read, there has not been Vee bottoms with multiple channels up the middle used on surfboards.
I have found boat hulls that use concaves through a Vee hull, but not surfboards.

1656006917090.png

Reactions: Mr J and Havoc

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Cory Whitlock is a long time Oceanside local and he was checking out my Revo with the Vee Quad Concave. He said that Vee bottoms were originally made for big boards for surfing big waves. He said the Vee makes the boards a little slow, so you need a wave with power, so it was used on bigger board. The benefit to the board being slow is that it went from rail to rail very easily. He said that design was sort of abandoned and was later used in fish boards or boards with wide tails. Concave bottom with Vee out the tail or spiral Vee or whatever was used to help the board roll on rail.

However from what i've read, there has not been Vee bottoms with multiple channels up the middle used on surfboards.
I have found boat hulls that use concaves through a Vee hull, but not surfboards.

View attachment 132285
How dare you! This is a Griffin thread. Greg is all about the flat bottom with a hard edge from tail to nose.

In my experience vee helps the boar tip over onto rail it also reduces the thickness of the rail in the tail. Kerry and Wade Tokoro came up with the double concave inside of a single concave blending into vee out the tail. I’m sure other shapers have made boars with that bottom contour but very few have had the kind of success Wade’s 4VC has had in competition on the North Shore. The VC stands for vee-concave.

I’ve been riding the Tokoro 4VC for decades and more recently the 4X and from Kerry the HIC M7 or the Vesso Fusion, which have that bottom contour.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Tomo's bottom is a straight Vee from nose to tail (no concave at all). Then, down the middle are channels running parallel with the Vee. Sounds different than Wades design @teeroi , yah??

One would think the Vee would slow the board down, but because of the channels it creates a good amount of lift and cuts right through the water. Its an excellent design! I think more shapers are going to revisit the Vee because of this board.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
How dare you! This is a Griffin thread. Greg is all about the flat bottom with a hard edge from tail to nose.

In my experience vee helps the boar tip over onto rail it also reduces the thickness of the rail in the tail. Kerry and Wade Tokoro came up with the double concave inside of a single concave blending into vee out the tail. I’m sure other shapers have made boars with that bottom contour but very few have had the kind of success Wade’s 4VC has had in competition on the North Shore. The VC stands for vee-concave.

I’ve been riding the Tokoro 4VC for decades and more recently the 4X and from Kerry the HIC M7 or the Vesso Fusion, which have that bottom contour.
I'm falling in love with Vee. Helps tip over like you said and you can get a nice knifey rail and still keep foam in the middle. Wades 4VC sounds nice!

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I'm falling in love with Vee. Helps tip over like you said and you can get a nice knifey rail and still keep foam in the middle. Wades 4VC sounds nice!
Wade and Kerry’s concave to vee is very different than any Tomo boars, especially the Revo. Pretty sure their rockers are very different too. The 4VC is money for when the waves are bigger and have a pocket. Great riding the barrel. I would recommend for a step-up and surf trip if tubes are the desired outcome.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Tomo's bottom is a straight Vee from nose to tail (no concave at all). Then, down the middle are channels running parallel with the Vee. Sounds different than Wades design @teeroi , yah??

One would think the Vee would slow the board down, but because of the channels it creates a good amount of lift and cuts right through the water. Its an excellent design! I think more shapers are going to revisit the Vee because of this board.
This was done by many in the 70's - good fun to ride

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Flat across 100% plane

All angles rearward release the pressure from the surface your planing on + enabling the board to roll into the turn

Double in Single

Sunken surface does not plane as well at lower end
No upward release towards the rail to roll to , rail is lowest - main - point of contact even at rearward angles

Last edited: