***Official FIRES thread***

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
It's rare that we ever have a wildfire more than 5-20 acres maybe but there is state forest management, and they do have controlled burns in some forest almost every year. There is forest called Wicomico Demonstration Forest where they practice and document 4 different philosophies of management and use it as a teaching and research tool.
I pray for those on the west coast who are always in the line of fire, even if your space isn't threatened by the current fires, it seems there's always more on the way. Steady fear, and knowledge of others' losses it must be madening and sad and anymore it seems like it's becoming almost a year-round situation.
BTW, The president said you guys should try taking your forest floor once in awhile like they do in Switzerland, to cut down on the available fuel.
All jokes and politics aside, I feel for you and am truly sorry for the grave realities of lives lost and ruined.
It's occasionally hazy on the East Coast because of the smoke, some days you can smell it .

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
so gnarly. jackass meadow is so amazing.

looks like my plans at the end of the week in the eastern sierra are most likely not going to happen.
my brother and I had a permit for cottonwood pass....was looking forward to fishing on mushrooms

fk 2020 in its stupid face

• Sad
Reactions: the janitor

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i think the smoke is here on the east coast. the sun rising this morning was blood red and enormous, and the whole sky had a really eerie patina. Reminded me of photos of the famous (infamous) LA sunsets during the worst of the SMog years in the 70s and 80s

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
i think the smoke is here on the east coast. the sun rising this morning was blood red and enormous, and the whole sky had a really eerie patina. Reminded me of photos of the famous (infamous) LA sunsets during the worst of the SMog years in the 70s and 80s
Can confirm. Media is reporting on this today.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
let the dystopic fun of 2020 continue unabated. maybe the reverse jinx will work

Reactions: afoaf

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Sunset was weird tonight, kinda an orange haze.