***Official FIRES thread***

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
I saw the smoke coming into SF bay before sunset. Nothing crazy. No ash, but it was an ominous glimpse at what is sure to come. Lightening fires are one thing. The wind seems like it won't be too bad at the moment. The power line fires seem to be the ones that start in the worst conditions (High wind, remote areas).

SC mountains look like they are in serious danger. Bonny Doon, Big Basin, Felton, and another outside Salinas. Basically fires on all sides. A coworker said her childhood neighborhood is gone up around there. Napa has some bad ones, Outside San Jose..

Here we go...
sh!t is getting heavy. Full evacuation of Boulder Creek and a lot of the Bonny Doon.
Ash raining down on the rest of the Monterey Bay. I live about a mile from the Watsonville airport and it’s been nonstop helicopter and aircraft. Evacuee camp setup at the fairgrounds. Very apocalyptic.

• Wow
Reactions: JBerry

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Spent 11 days on the Hog Fire outside of Susanville, came home, had one day off, went back to my normal shift, then got sent to the Apply fire for 9 days. Then we get a friggin lightning complex fire in Santa Cruz county. Are you kidding me?! That just doesn't happen.

• Wow
Reactions: racer1

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Spent 11 days on the Hog Fire outside of Susanville, came home, had one day off, went back to my normal shift, then got sent to the Apply fire for 9 days. Then we get a friggin lightning complex fire in Santa Cruz county. Are you kidding me?! That just doesn't happen.
pesky chinese hoax!

Reactions: Lohena

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
SC mountains look like they are in serious danger. Bonny Doon, Big Basin, Felton, and another outside Salinas. Basically fires on all sides. A coworker said her childhood neighborhood is gone up around there. Napa has some bad ones, Outside San Jose..

Here we go...
Bonny Doon a few minutes ago...that is why I had ash in the house this morning on the sills: 1597877564422.png

Some friends in Sonoma County along the Russian River are evacuating now.

Pretty good fire map here (click me). You can move the map around and go outside Sonoma County and check other stuff, but won't have the warnings/alerts.

As for driving to Oregon, up I-5, check this cam, fires near Willow:
1597877956668.png

And looks like a bit of road construction in Southern Oregon (click me).

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
VIIRS and MODIS data here:

I am a master-level fire evacuator. AMA.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
I woke up at 0230 the night the lightning came through and chased it up the coast. Here is the start of the fire at sunrise. You can see a little bit of smoke making it's way down toward the highway below the cliffs.

And then it started growing. The next day it picked up a little traction.

But then the day after that....

And then it really blew up last night. They closed the highway so I couldn't even get to the vantage point, but it looked apocalyptic out there.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I woke up at 0230 the night the lightning came through and chased it up the coast. Here is the start of the fire at sunrise. You can see a little bit of smoke making it's way down toward the highway below the cliffs.

And then it started growing. The next day it picked up a little traction.

But then the day after that....

And then it really blew up last night. They closed the highway so I couldn't even get to the vantage point, but it looked apocalyptic out there.

I was at Beauregard on Saturday for a tasting, then went down to Waddell to get some sun and watch the kiters. Pretty insane to see that area change so quickly

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
It’s looking like Boulder Creek is seriously at risk. Anyone that’s spent some time around here knows how heavy that is.

• Sad
Reactions: jkb

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I'm in Pt Arena. Saw fires south east of Gualala. Not sure if it is Jenner fire or not. Lightning all day Saturday and sunday and Monday on drive up through Paso Robles, San Jose, and Bodega Bay. Weird weather.

Reactions: Mr Doof

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I was camping and fishing here on a backpacking trip, just downstream from the hot springs and a lightning strike started a fire the night before, sort of where the Redrock creek label is. The next day a heli flew in and pulled water out of the exact hole I was fishing and put out the spot fire that didn't really burn much.

The air was really bad today inland towards Santa Maria. Hot, sticky and smoky.

• Wow
Reactions: the janitor

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Friend who lives in Carmel Valley has been texting me updates. CA is burning. Stay safe everyone affected!
My wife's parents are kind of across the road a bit from Laguna Seca. Mandatory evacuations. Her sister is in Toro Park. Out. Her office is under ME as well. More relatives out in Carmel Valley. My wife was booking hotel reservations for everybody via phone. My son drove up there to help get valuables etc out of houses. It's a mess. And everybody will be smoking two packs a day in hundred degree heat until further notice.

• Sad
Reactions: Beerbelly and Aruka

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
It’s alarming how many of these fires are at 0% containment. I guess they’re letting them run their course before threatening homes. No need to risk firefighter lives. Iceman thank you! You guys are badass.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Welp, I've come to accept how we're going to clear the 10s of millions of acres Cal Fire said we needed to clear. I feel a sense of peace now.

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor