*** Official Fin Thread ***

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
just scooped a set of Large H4 thrusters for $30 off, couldn't resist. now looking at a set of Medium MFeb's (Captain Fin) for my Future's board. anyone have experience with either template?

i'd like to put in a good word for the FCS2 Accelerators in PCC. the Medium set worked great until i knocked the center fin out. and it was screwed in :foreheadslap: no idea how that happened. any advice on quad rears that would work well on both the Accelerators and the H4s?
I like the H4 rears. They are fairly upright and 80/20 foil. I've ran them with Accel M's, H4 L's and Mayhem L's. I generally prefer upright fins for quads so I'd probably give the nod to the Mayhems but they all felt pretty good.

If you want a more upright, pivotal feeling go Reactor M rears.

No experience with the MFeb's.

Reactions: middleWave and jkb

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Anyone try these? I like riding a big gun in OH waves for the rail drive, and I thought these might loosen it up.

I have those. I’ve used them in boards for smaller surf. They work.

Reactions: Maz

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Sharpeye L's maiden voyage went very well. Noticeably tighter turning than the DHD's. Nothing drastic but I could feel it from my first bottom turn they just came around a little quicker. Didnt hurt that the waves were clean and bowly and well suited to the Disco. 20230314_123821.jpg

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Gerr has been hyping up these fins. I've never really thought of wood fins being high performance, but he's claiming otherwise. They'd def be nice on the eye with the right board. Yacht aesthetics.

http://instagr.am/p/CT1GLMZB2_6/
His handle ending in 69 gives it extra points.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Rode the superbuzz as a twin and twin + trailer (NVS Nautilus) in head to waist conditions over a 5 day span and was really impressed. Fast, loose, sk8ee and my favorite fin
config to date. If it’s overhead and steep I’d opt for a quad with AM2s and the S1 rears.

Do you think Stretch would be offended if someone asked him for smaller logos?

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
anyone try the machado pivot fins?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
anyone try the machado pivot fins?

yeah I have a set. to me they don't feel as strange as you'd maybe expect just looking at them. a pretty pivotal, speed generating ride. I mostly ran them in a SMTH Drive Thru which is kind of a white diamond/rocket style board. for small/med waves they go well. a good balance of drive and pivot. best suited to low rocker boards I think. compared to P8's they are a little less pivotal feeling so if you are looking for more pivot I'd look at those since they are making them in blackstix now too.

to be clear, i don't ride them that often because i generally prefer more raked, flat foil fins but as far as a pivot fin with inside foil I like these more than for instance the HS1's.

Reactions: cjs2002

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
yeah I have a set. to me they don't feel as strange as you'd maybe expect just looking at them. a pretty pivotal, speed generating ride. I mostly ran them in a SMTH Drive Thru which is kind of a white diamond/rocket style board. for small/med waves they go well. a good balance of drive and pivot. best suited to low rocker boards I think. compared to P8's they are a little less pivotal feeling so if you are looking for more pivot I'd look at those since they are making them in blackstix now too.

to be clear, i don't ride them that often because i generally prefer more raked, flat foil fins but as far as a pivot fin with inside foil I like these more than for instance the HS1's.
TBH they always looked kinda dumb to me but now I’m kinda curious. I do love that other Machado blackstix thruster set with the V2 foil. Maybe on Pyzalien2 or Insanity?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
TBH they always looked kinda dumb to me but now I’m kinda curious. I do love that other Machado blackstix thruster set with the V2 foil. Maybe on Pyzalien2 or Insanity?
No experience with P2 but i liked upright fins in my Insanity. Board is kind of meant for juice though so I dunno. Id probably lean towards honeycomb flat foil kine like P8s or TP1.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
No experience with P2 but i liked upright fins in my Insanity. Board is kind of meant for juice though so I dunno. Id probably lean towards honeycomb flat foil kine like P8s or TP1.
I haven’t surfed Insanity yet, but yeah, I got it for decent-good swell (for SoCal).
In P2, I’ve liked the JJF large with JJF medium center. No real need to experiment, but will try that other Muchacho V2 blackstix set at some point, maybe on the lower end of the range

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I haven’t surfed Insanity yet, but yeah, I got it for decent-good swell (for SoCal).
In P2, I’ve liked the JJF large with JJF medium center. No real need to experiment, but with try that other Muchacho V2 blackstix set at some point, maybe on the lower end of the range
JJF larges w/ med center is a great setup. Kind of an elitist combo though like yeah just buy a set of meds and toss the side fins in the trash.

I just wish I was man enough to run the entire L set.

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
JJF larges w/ med center is a great setup. Kind of an elitist combo though like yeah just buy a set of meds and toss the side fins in the trash.

I just wish I was man enough to run the entire L set.
I know, right? LOL
I do use the Mediums on the rare ghost-worthy OH days