*** Official Fin Thread ***

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I’m similar weight. I went from Med to Lrg a couple years ago. I tend to loosely go down in fin size as the boards’ tail gets narrower. Groveler/ avg wave boars with a wider tail: large fins. Stepup / roundpins: Med fins. Seems to work well for me.
When I (rarely these days) do ride a pointy nose squash thruster, I like Lrg JJF sides, and a Med JJF center.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Need Help with Fin Sizing.

Hi, I am getting a few new boards in the next few weeks. I surf in the Northeast, where waves often lack power even on big days, but it can get powerful depending on swell direction. I am 5'7 X 178 lbs + the 8 pound or so winter gear.

Being right over the cusp of futures' weight range for medium of 145-175 lbs, I am unsure of whether I should go large on all of the pairs I order, medium or what.

I've been on a medium size pair of blackstix 2.0 for the past several years as my sort of staple fin.

Looking for commentary from folks on the lower end of the large size fin weight range and what their experiences have been with both twin + trailer sets (for my small wave performance/all rounder) and for thruster and quad sets for my performance/step up

Would love to know whats faster, easier to maneuver, and gives best balance of hold size-wise. I like to surf top to bottom.
To my knowledge, you have not shown anyone here your t!ts yet and therefore have not earned the right to ask any questions at this time. Please kindly reveal your bulbous chichis so we can adequately respond to your request

• Love
Reactions: jkb and Woke AF

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I’m similar weight. I went from Med to Lrg a couple years ago. I tend to loosely go down in fin size as the boards’ tail gets narrower. Groveler/ avg wave boars with a wider tail: large fins. Stepup / roundpins: Med fins. Seems to work well for me.
When I (rarely these days) do ride a pointy nose squash thruster, I like Lrg JJF sides, and a Med JJF center.
How dare you. You know the rulz. t!ts or GTFO

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and oeste858
Oct 25, 2019
I’ve got a 6’1 Stamps B12 which isn’t really a step up but more of a good wave board.

I’ve been messing around with fins since getting it, and I think I’ve settled on L JJF sides with a M centre.

The board has decent tail rocker/flip imo, so maybe that’s part of it.

I’m 165lbs but wear full 6mm etc whenever this board is getting used.

Full medium set in my blackbird.
Just gonna clarify for others that the B12’s primary use for me is for a good wave board vs bigger wave step up. That said, perhaps it would be better suited to the latter role.

So perhaps my fin choice would be different if it was tackling doh waves.

Oct 25, 2019
Need Help with Fin Sizing.

Hi, I am getting a few new boards in the next few weeks. I surf in the Northeast, where waves often lack power even on big days, but it can get powerful depending on swell direction. I am 5'7 X 178 lbs + the 8 pound or so winter gear.

Being right over the cusp of futures' weight range for medium of 145-175 lbs, I am unsure of whether I should go large on all of the pairs I order, medium or what.

I've been on a medium size pair of blackstix 2.0 for the past several years as my sort of staple fin.

Looking for commentary from folks on the lower end of the large size fin weight range and what their experiences have been with both twin + trailer sets (for my small wave performance/all rounder) and for thruster and quad sets for my performance/step up

Would love to know whats faster, easier to maneuver, and gives best balance of hold size-wise. I like to surf top to bottom.
I’m 165 plus a small dog’s worth of heavy wet neoprene.

I’ve never been accused of being a shredder, but with wide tail boards I could definitely wash out some on hard turns with medium fins.

Full large sets could feel sticky though, so my solution has been large sides with medium trailer. AMs naturally have this setup, but I’ve taken it even further with Large AM sides and a medium AM trailer. Works for me in a wide tailed board up to head highish. Hold and drive but plenty of pivot when needed.

kai kane

OTF status
May 15, 2003
pacific
Quad fin question for the folks on here with quad step ups/guns:

I live on North Shore and run stretch FU#2 in all of my guns (3 padillacs - 7'6, 8'0, 9'0). I've tried the EA quads, Pyzel padillac fins, and futures paddle guns. The stretches are money in all conditions. I'm having trouble getting a replacement pair (website says all sold out). Anyone have other recommendations?

I'm using these boards in medium size NS surf. DOH deep water reefs to med size Himalayas (6-8 ft). These fins have been rock solid and dependable in all conditions. All of the others had some twitch or quirk I didn't want to deal with at this size.

I'm 5'10 and 185#. Mahalo!

GMN

Aug 26, 2022
Heads up, all of Rob Machado's templates are heavily discounted on FCS right now

Nov 21, 2022
Heads up, all of Rob Machado's templates are heavily discounted on FCS right now

I noticed Futures removed his twin + trailer template from the site....good old error 404 page now

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Heinous colorway but interesting template

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Quad fin question for the folks on here with quad step ups/guns:

I live on North Shore and run stretch FU#2 in all of my guns (3 padillacs - 7'6, 8'0, 9'0). I've tried the EA quads, Pyzel padillac fins, and futures paddle guns. The stretches are money in all conditions. I'm having trouble getting a replacement pair (website says all sold out). Anyone have other recommendations?

I'm using these boards in medium size NS surf. DOH deep water reefs to med size Himalayas (6-8 ft). These fins have been rock solid and dependable in all conditions. All of the others had some twitch or quirk I didn't want to deal with at this size.

I'm 5'10 and 185#. Mahalo!
Contact dylan see and ask and see if he can get you the step/gun set of fu#2 fronts are 4.25" and backs 4" very nice ride specially if you already like the #2 quad set.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Heinous colorway but interesting template

v2 foil it says...interesting if true. looks a little upright for my tastes.