*** Official Fin Thread ***

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
A bigger anchor, who knows
Maybe I give the medium ARC sides with PC5 mid a go.

Any other fin guru's or Coil M80 riders who can share some setups?
It's been a long time but I always rode large fins in my m80 because like you I found it a little too loose and lively with medium fins. I ran large AM's and would sometimes switch out the center fin for something smaller when the waves were weak. A larger, raked fin like the AM's should help draw out your turns and settle things down.

Reactions: Tomsurfer25

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Huh. So according to those test, futurds boxes look stronger, eh? I was surprised to see that- expected the opposite
Ditto. I think the test was less than perfect though. The FCS2 fin flexed so much it maxed out his rig which didn't seem quite fair. The fin popping out was classic. Reminds me I need to put some grubs in my couple FCS2 boards.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Personally, I'd rather have my fin eject than cause damage to the foam.
Yea but if we go by the test it ejected at 14lbs and the foam didn’t break until 60 something.
Can you buy individual fcs fins?
replace fin box $100 a new fin set a little more.
Maybe constant pull is not the best test add shock to it maybe closer to real world results.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yea but if we go by the test it ejected at 14lbs and the foam didn’t break until 60 something.
Maybe constant pull is not the best test add shock to it maybe closer to real world results.
Agree and pull is not right force closer force would be air or h20 pressure shot at fin(s) (controlled pressue) from different angles (front, side, inside,).

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
You can buy individual FCS fins.

I've been using FCS II in my boards since they came out (2014 or so).

In that time, I've lost exactly 1 fin and have never used grub screws with them.

My personal real world experience with them has been great.

That being said, I have had plenty of boards with Futures as well. The only issue I seem to have with them is the boxes cracking with twin fins. Minor cracking under the glass, but it's happened to all future twins.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
You can buy individual FCS fins.

I've been using FCS II in my boards since they came out (2014 or so).

In that time, I've lost exactly 1 fin and have never used grub screws with them.

My personal real world experience with them has been great.

That being said, I have had plenty of boards with Futures as well. The only issue I seem to have with them is the boxes cracking with twin fins. Minor cracking under the glass, but it's happened to all future twins.
How much can you deadlift? I ask in the name of science

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Agree and pull is not right force closer force would be air or h20 pressure shot at fin(s) (controlled pressue) from different angles (front, side, inside,).
The side pull .... i guess emulates heavy torque on a bottom turn .... i would think most often fin damage would occur in a forward direction .. i.e. hitting a reef or another board.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Alright.

I grabbed some new Hess quads off CL for $90. Probably not much of an all rounder set, but pretty certain they'll go straight at Medium OB when i ride a full step up instead of the shortboard I should be riding..

Uberkuque

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 19, 2014
Wondering what the erBB thinks of the Futures Legacy series. I just got F6s and they weren't as fast as I had hoped, felt sticky on takeoffs too.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Wondering what the erBB thinks of the Futures Legacy series. I just got F6s and they weren't as fast as I had hoped, felt sticky on takeoffs too.
it's not the fins :monkey:

Sticky on takeoffs? Can't say I've ever noticed a fin holding me back on the take off, maybe paddle harder next time and push on the rail and it won't feel so "sticky"

Had the F8 blackstix for a while and while they rode decently I prefer a thinner tipped fin for better release. Riding the JJF Tech Flex large in small wave boards now and it feels much nicer. The freestone fin is pretty much an FCS peformer rip off and does well for me in normal HP shapes also

Last edited: