*** Official Fin Thread ***

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Please do share any first hand ride reports, particularly in a wide-tailed groveler.
IMG_20211202_080517_HDR.jpg
Wide tailed groveller: Check! Those Biolos Hatchet quads get a big thumbs up. I like them even more than the Tomo's picture above or the Hanalei quads which were previous favourites. Drivier but still have control at speed. Had some super fast, hollow, waist to chest high, low tide beachbreak waves this morning and the fins are now my faves for this board. Normally at speed have to do a grab rail for a cutback but with the Biolos fins it was not necessary as they held right through the turn. Too bad they are so expensive. I bought them in special for $150 Aud. Next time I looked on the Futures website they were back up to $250. Yet to be tested in slopey waves where turns up the face are available but on racey walls they felt money or as Chubby Craig would say, "Absolutely epic."

Last edited:

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
View attachment 122958
Wide tailed groveller: Check! Those Biolos Hatchet quads get a big thumbs up. I like them even more than the Tomo's picture above or the Hanalei quads which were previous favourites. Drivier but still have control at speed. Had some super fast, hollow, waist to chest high, low tide beachbreak waves this morning and the fins are now my faves for this board. Normally at speed have to do a grab rail for a cutback but with the Biolos fins it was not necessary as they held right through the turn. Too bad they are so expensive. I bought them in special for $150 Aud. Next time I looked on the Futures website they were back up to $250. Yet to be tested in slopey waves where turns up the face are available but on racey walls they felt money or as Chubby Craig would say, "Absolutely epic."
I think Defroster is going to have a meltdown.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I am sure this has been covered but nothing popped up in a search.

Does anyone have any experience/feedback/or review with the C-Drive fins? Noel Sausage interviewed NVS guys and they mentioned riding them smaller, or maybe NS was supposed to ride smaller than the size large he ran for review. I personally would imagine L would be my size at 225 +/- for my stubby 6'2's and maybe med or small for step-ups. Curious, seems like a legit design theoretically.

Reactions: Aruka

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal

Does anyone have any experience/feedback/or review with the C-Drive fins? Noel Sausage interviewed NVS guys and they mentioned riding them smaller, or maybe NS was supposed to ride smaller than the size large he ran for review. I personally would imagine L would be my size at 225 +/- for my stubby 6'2's and maybe med or small for step-ups. Curious, seems like a legit design theoretically.
The concept seems counter intuitive to me, removing so much surface area and maintaining drive

Reactions: chilly1

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia

I have tried them in boards years ago when they first came out in Australia. Fins that felt good but then I'd put other fins in that always felt better. Sold them off. Last year bought another set because they were cheap in a quad set and gave them another go. Still the same outcome so that's just my experience with them. I am always happy to experiment with different fin designs which you can no doubt ascertain from the posts of my fins even on this page.
Just my experience so give them a go if they are calling out to you.

Reactions: chilly1

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA

I’ve been using these for a few years. Shaper said try them, felt really gold. Never switched them or tried anything else in this boar. Never tried the fins in anything else as well. I think its just because i don’t like looking at them. The combo between drive and pivot is super good feels for me. 6’9” Sakal twin. Retro Ps comment make me want to switch them up for fun.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: jkb and chilly1

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
10 1/2 from trailing edge to tip of pin tail. 4“ from trailing edge straight back from fin.
Sabre looks fun. I’m hoping we get more swell like we’ve had the last couple weeks when mine is done. I have the NVS Nautilus twins and may try those before trying the c drives.

Reactions: urchined