*** Official Fin Thread ***

Nov 19, 2021
I've been lurking here for a bit but just decided I should try and reach out to any experienced fin designers. As a part of a few frustrations (prices of resin, abundant amount of plastic waste, & overload of curiosity) I started to make my own fins out of recycled plastic.
They're made with a simple male and female wood mold on hinge and need to be shaved down after pulling out of the casting. I've tested out the single fins but am looking forward to putting the thruster set. I noticed the talk about the Takayama fins and the upright position allows surfers to stand closer to the center of the board. This seems like an interesting design idea I wanted to try after watching a bunch of Cheynne Horan youtube clips and realizing this might be helpful for slow and small waves.
I'm going to carve out another mold set (see upright pectoral fin.png file). Before I start carving, I wanted to see if anyone could give me some advice, pointers, etc... Also, if anyone would like to try and carve out some recycled HDPE fins, I'd be willing to send some if you pay shipping. I have a big of a goal of recycling a 20 gallon drum full of plastic by the end of the year! I'm pretty close about 10 gallons have been made into "stuff".

Attachments

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
Grabbed the large JJF tech flex for a 5'10 sub driver 2.0.

I've gained weight recently and am up to 165. I've always surfed mediums in small waves and small in large waves.

Before I break them out of the packaging, any chance it will be too much fin? Looking at the futures site and it looks like they're pretty much the biggest large they make. Considering returning for mediums before even trying the large... any one lend some perspective?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020

I've gained weight recently and am up to 165. I've always surfed mediums in small waves and small in large waves.

Before I break them out of the packaging, any chance it will be too much fin? Looking at the futures site and it looks like they're pretty much the biggest large they make. Considering returning for mediums before even trying the large... any one lend some perspective?
thinking of running the same set up, just scooped a 5'10" light speed sub driver. probably not too much fin, when I was lighter used to always ride big fins in step down boards.

Reactions: encladd

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

You're doing it wrong. LOL
One of the main factors in fin size for me is tail width.
small waves = wide tail = L fins
bigger waves = narrower tail = M fins
I like M JJF as waves get above chest/shoulder/head high

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

Too big and stiff for your weight IMO. I'm like 180 and run L fins always and they feel like a lot of fin even for me. Better suited to the true big boys I reckon.

I would return for some M's or if you want to try a large set get something with a higher ride number like the DHD's or TP's.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
+1 for timmy patterson template in small to medium surf. I also weigh 165, perfect balance of drive and release for me. They are kind of like largish medium fins if that makes sense.

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
Too big and stiff for your weight IMO. I'm like 180 and run L fins always and they feel like a lot of fin even for me. Better suited to the true big boys I reckon.

I would return for some M's or if you want to try a large set get something with a higher ride number like the DHD's or TP's.
I like the the large Jordy's have a smaller back fin, they look pretty similar to the DHD's but with a little larger base, no?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I like the the large Jordy's have a smaller back fin, they look pretty similar to the DHD's but with a little larger base, no?
more raked back thinner tips smaller trailer. I've got both sets of the freestone's with the dots and stripes, generation series and the glass ones. similar to the JJ with a little less rake and a little smaller overall, just got a set of the large pyzel and they're pretty similar to the JJ, not as stiff and slightly smaller.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017

Or, go full Marlon Brando and get some of these:

Reactions: MathDebater

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The Jordy L's are basically a more refined AM2. Slightly thinner tip and smaller center fin. They have a higher ride number than the DHD's but I feel like DHD's are easier to turn and are smoother being all the same size. I like the Jordy's in certain boards. I think they have a little more drive and I prefer them in smaller waves and/or boards with wider tails.