*** Official Fin Thread ***

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Interesting. So narrower base and tip. I do like the drive I get with these. Some release, too, but only when I shift my weight to the front foot. Fin is pretty sticky when trying to pivot at the top of the wave.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Interesting. So narrower base and tip. I do like the drive I get with these. Some release, too, but only when I shift my weight to the front foot. Fin is pretty sticky when trying to pivot at the top of the wave.
I don't know about whether the base would be narrower or not for equivalently sized in terms of area/hold, but if you look at the True Ames trailing edge just above the incut base it leans slightly forward, before sweeping backwards further up - this is a typical shape. The Griffin fin seems to go from approximately upright to sweeping back straight away. I don't know Greg's design reasoning, maybe he considers it excess material, I don't know. However, I see the Griffin fin as something that is raked from base to tip. The rake seems to help me maintain speed in a drawn out cutback - both frontside and backside - I do have to consciously hold the wide arc, but this sort of fin seems to allow me to do it better. Then when we want to pivot off the top the thin tip releases readily.

I can only speak from Griffin thruster experience although I would think similar principles would apply to twin. Holding a wide arc for me involves using even foot pressure. I don't know how other surfers do/think the wide arced cutback, but if you are comfortable with using front foot pressure and looking for more pivot off the top then you might like this sort of fin. Greg has already given the heads up on a future base which fits that mould more.

Disclaimer - maybe this goes on in my head alone LOL and we know not everyone likes AM fins which feature raked thin tips.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
picked up a set up NVS (dan mann template) and the fins are nice but the bases are crazy different from fin to fin. one is super loose (thanfully it tightens enough with the grub screw), one fits normal, and two almost needed vaseline to get in there.

edit: I know it's not the boxes cause I swapped out with another quad set and they went in perfectly

• Sad
Reactions: oeste858

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
picked up a set up NVS (dan mann template) and the fins are nice but the bases are crazy different from fin to fin. one is super loose (thanfully it tightens enough with the grub screw), one fits normal, and two almost needed vaseline to get in there.

edit: I know it's not the boxes cause I swapped out with another quad set and they went in perfectly
i had issues with my first set of NVS. had to sand base to get them to fit.

someone else on here had ill fitting set and they sent them back and got them replaced and new set didn't fit either if i recall? it's almost as if each set of fins isn't checked for proper fitment before it's tossed on the cargo ship from china...

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I returned a set of needs fins cause they wouldn;t drop all the way into the box. tried it on different boards just to make sure. they refunded my money cause they said all of their fins they checked were like that :oops:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
i had issues with my first set of NVS. had to sand base to get them to fit.

someone else on here had ill fitting set and they sent them back and got them replaced and new set didn't fit either if i recall? it's almost as if each set of fins isn't checked for proper fitment before it's tossed on the cargo ship from china...
You get what you pay for

NVS = Chinese crap

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@sdsrfr I think so might also allow better release on more raked fins by area reduction , GG should respond, I think his concept has reducing template from base to tip. Similar to typical reduction in outline from mid point to tail

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I thought pretty much all RTM fins were made in China...
Yes. I think you are right about RTM fins. The NVS fins that most us are getting are g10. The foils seems good but the fitment and finish is definitely inferior to a Futures branded fin. The first batch I got was also very sharp. I like the g10 for twins/keels. They have nice thin foils while retaining stiffness. I get why GG prefers this material.

Reactions: Hazrus