*** Official Fin Thread ***

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Grabbed a pair of MR twin fcs2, they don't sit flush in my box, the side fins both stick out a bit. I surfed it no issues but is this common ?

These are official FCS too ...
Also y'all weren't joking damn near hurt my hand jamming these puppies in

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
not that I'm a particular fan of futures or anything but it really does seem like the superior standard. I've had a pair that I had to sand down a bit when I got them, but haven't otherwise had problems getting them in (hah) or having them fall out like I've heard happens with fcs. having to undo the screw each time isn't that inconvenient.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Grabbed a pair of MR twin fcs2, they don't sit flush in my box, the side fins both stick out a bit. I surfed it no issues but is this common ?
Never had that issue with FCS2 once they click in... only futures. Go figure.

Tip: towel around the hand to jam it in and pop out

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

These are official FCS too ...
Also y'all weren't joking damn near hurt my hand jamming these puppies in
Some boards with a lot of curve in the tail rocker will do that. Same thing happens with Futures.

Just sand down the top of the tab if it bothers you.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Swapped out some fins today experimenting. Felt noticeable drag afterwards when paddling into each wave & on the face from what I'm used to from the other set. Board didn't want to go. The set was bigger in overall size with drastically more rake. Does rake play a noticeable role in fin drag? What contributes the most to it?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Swapped out some fins today experimenting. Felt noticeable drag afterwards when paddling into each wave & on the face from what I'm used to from the other set. Board didn't want to go. The set was bigger in overall size with drastically more rake. Does rake play a noticeable role in fin drag? What contributes the most to it?
Wouldn’t “drive” = drag? Kinda?

Last edited:

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Wouldn’t “drive” = drag? Kinda?
I don't think so since even the fin flex can change how drivey a fin feels in comparison to the same fin in a different construction. I would think the drag would be similar between the two since they are identical otherwise but the stiffer fin would have more drive for example. Thats my thinking in my head, but what do I know. I could definitely feel some drag today and got me wondering what the reason was. I kept checking for kelp on the leash ha. Unfortunately I didn't bring the other set with me so I was stuck with it.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I don't think so since even the fin flex can change how drivey a fin feels in comparison to the same fin in a different construction. I would think the drag would be similar between the two since they are identical otherwise but the stiffer fin would have more drive for example. Thats my thinking in my head, but what do I know. I could definitely feel some drag today and got me wondering what the reason was. I kept checking for kelp on the leash ha. Unfortunately I didn't bring the other set with me so I was stuck with it.
Well, that “checking for kelp” drag is how I feel when I use rakier fins in anything below head high and/or barreling. Could be all in my head but I almost always prefer upright-neutral

Feb 9, 2019
Ive found with fins that I use pivot/neutral rake over the summery conditions ( short period swells). Then I look for more down the line drive when it gets over the 15" swell interval. Same with quads and using 50/50 foil and 80/20.
The "back shed theory" surmises when the wave is moving faster you need to match that speed plus try and do a turn. Over summer its like theres plenty of time to go up and down so pivot comes into play.
Those old kinetic fin parkos are my favoured raked set. Then something like the fcs2 stretch at 33° for extra wiggle.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I didn't care for the stretch quads.

But inside foil fins are hit or miss for me.