*** Official Fin Thread ***

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Bigger fins may help (our larges are a good choice because they have some flex/spring in them) but it sounds like you might be better off trying a board like the Phantom, since it is better suited towards the average surfer (guessing from your own words) and also more average waves. The Shadow is a high-performance board for sure, and not always the best choice if your surfing is at mid-range.
Fair enough! I appreciate the reply

I did debate a lot between the phantom and shadow before getting the shadow. I wanted something more in the vein of a traditional shortboard, and I thought it might be better for the steep beach breaks I mostly surf. I only grab it when the waves are good, although good to me and good to a Hawaiian might be different!

I guess it's hard to objectively evaluate one's own skill. I know how to surf and I've been riding shortboards since I was a kid, but I'm not in danger of going pro anytime soon :)

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Snapped some pics of the Coffins for you nerds

Side fin vs AM1. It's hard to see a difference in the pic, but it's basically the same shape just a bit bigger all around
1615922853993.png
Center fin vs AM1. Very similar shape but quite a bit larger all around
1615922883847.png

Center vs side. The center fin is a tiny bit smaller but not by much, basically the leading edge is taken down a bit
1615922929328.png

Bonus: inside of both fins. The pattern is apparently variable from fin to fin, doesn't match the website. I think they look dope
1615922976088.png

Will give them a spin next time we get decent-good waves. Looks like they're tracking something for this Friday but you never know around here.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
The pattern/graphixxx look much better in your photos than they did on the site. Thanks for sharing, look like good funz.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Coffin sides with am1 trailer looks like it could treat me well.
I think coffin sides with an am1 trailer is basically just an am1 lol. The main difference is in the trailer, the sides are only ~0.25 in2 larger.

Reactions: jkb

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I think i'd have to see them in person. I thought the sides where a bit bigger at the bases and taller but your pic doesn't really show that. Not a fan of bigger trailers, would be interested in a slightly bigger side though that matched the am1's without going all the way to the am2's.

Reactions: ehiunno

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I think i'd have to see them in person. I thought the sides where a bit bigger at the bases and taller but your pic doesn't really show that. Not a fan of bigger trailers, would be interested in a slightly bigger side though that matched the am1's without going all the way to the am2's.
Yeah I see what you're saying. They're definitely a hair bigger. I think it's more noticeable in person than looking at the photos.

Have you seen the DR from captain fin? It's got some rake to it, the medium has an area of ~15.5 which is another 0.4 above the Coffin fin, and the back is about the same size as an AM1. Hideous though lol

Reactions: trifish

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Yeah I see what you're saying. They're definitely a hair bigger. I think it's more noticeable in person than looking at the photos.

Have you seen the DR from captain fin? It's got some rake to it, the medium has an area of ~15.5 which is another 0.4 above the Coffin fin, and the back is about the same size as an AM1. Hideous though lol
Yeh who approved that shet, ha. I've seen them, but never tried them. I dig the dims though. Am1's or Solus have been my go to since forever for thruster sets.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Three surfs now with Pyzel medium FGs on my swallowtail Ghost. Excellent combo.

Had been using AM2s (honeycomb) in my old round pin Ghost for ages, and swore I'd try the slightly smaller and stiffer Pyzels when it got bigger. Even in just HH to OH waves they feel precise and hold well. And so far I can't feel any loss of drive.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Three surfs now with Pyzel medium FGs on my swallowtail Ghost. Excellent combo.

Had been using AM2s (honeycomb) in my old round pin Ghost for ages, and swore I'd try the slightly smaller and stiffer Pyzels when it got bigger. Even in just HH to OH waves they feel precise and hold well. And so far I can't feel any loss of drive.

Wait. So you like smaller fins in your ghost???

aren’t you the last one swearing by staying bigger? Lol

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I do! And yes, I do!!

Always liked the AM2s best, of all the fins I tried in my 6'3 rp Ghost. I stand by that completely.

The new 6'2 Swallowtail is much more lively, and I thought it would need a little less fin, and that the Pyzel fg mediums would be good. They are. Old board was FCS, so couldn't run the Pyzels in it.

Edit: The Pyzels are bigger than AM1s, so not exactly a small fin. But yes, smaller than the AM2s.

Last edited:
Reactions: trifish and sdsrfr

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Finally had a chance to ride the shadow with the new coffin fins. In short: I'm stocked!

Full story: took the gremlin and shadow down to the beach Tuesday afternoon, forecast/report was 3-4ft with the swell building. Waves were a bit soft and smaller than I was hoping for so I rode the gremlin for a couple of hours which went great as usual. Eventually as the swell filled in I grabbed a couple that were solidly shoulder-head high so I figured I'd give the shadow with the coffins a try even though the wave quality/power wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I only got maybe half a dozen waves on it but I could tell from the first bottom turn I was getting more drive and lift from the tail and was able to push into it harder. I got to test a variety of maneuvers and it went super well, tons of power/drive through cutbacks but still plenty of snap off the top and no trouble getting the tail into a controlled slide at the end of a tight wrap.

If I'm being honest with myself I definitely surfed better this session than my last on this board. Hard to say if that's the fins or just headspace/whatever. I know people have said that the shadow isn't as pivot-y as other hpsbs but that hasn't been my experience with it at all, possibly because I went pretty short after seeing those comments. If anything I get a bit "snap-happy" on it trying to force short-radius turns when I shouldn't and I think the extra drive/rake from these fins helped smooth out my surfing. I'll have to get more waves to say for sure but I'm completely stocked on this combo and can't wait to ride it again.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Anyone know when True Ames will be making fins for their online store?

Seems like they’ve been sold out forever.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I got the new rawson pintail in. He writes suggested fins for the boar on the stringer. He wrote F6-5 for the 5 fin set. I don’t have that. I do have the older CC medium CF 5 fin set. Green honeycombs. Any thoughts from the fin brainstrust On how the CCs compare to the F6s.

ill definitely be trying my preferred TA CIs in them also. Normally he writes AM2s on the stringer. Was surprised he didn’t on mine.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Snapped some pics of the Coffins for you nerds

Side fin vs AM1. It's hard to see a difference in the pic, but it's basically the same shape just a bit bigger all around
View attachment 106599
Center fin vs AM1. Very similar shape but quite a bit larger all around
View attachment 106600

Center vs side. The center fin is a tiny bit smaller but not by much, basically the leading edge is taken down a bit
View attachment 106601

Bonus: inside of both fins. The pattern is apparently variable from fin to fin, doesn't match the website. I think they look dope
View attachment 106602

Will give them a spin next time we get decent-good waves. Looks like they're tracking something for this Friday but you never know around here.
If your boards fin placements are 11 and 3 1/2 The smaller AM rear is unnecessary and a closer to same size as fronts will add drive and support

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
If your boards fin placements are 11 and 3 1/2 The smaller AM rear is unnecessary and a closer to same size as fronts will add drive and support
Yeah I just checked and they are 10.75 and 3.5

What placements do you feel favor a smaller rear fin?