*** Official Fin Thread ***

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Cf dane:
Creatures coleburn arc:
Wind and poo water permitting, they may be getting wet tomorrow
so basically you've got and handful similar fin sets in different colors (y)
can you actually discern a difference or does the marketing material shape your perception?

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Ha! The differences are actually quite noticeable under foot. Especially in the center fins, which have the most obvious differences. Aesthetically, they’d all be solid colors like the TA fins if it were up to me

MACSAN

Nep status
Sep 5, 2009
Question - Seems like most within the medium weight range when getting large fins for wider tailed boards seem to go with a raked fin (AM) rather than a more neutral or upright fin. Why?

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
buddy has a Seaside w Quad setup, was running machado keel like quads in it until he lost a fin and sliced his foot open,
any quad recommendations for something like that?

I told him a lot of people run Von Sol stilletos in boards like that but quad's aren't in my wheelhouse

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Question - Seems like most within the medium weight range when getting large fins for wider tailed boards seem to go with a raked fin (AM) rather than a more neutral or upright fin. Why?
I agree with retodd, of course.

But I also think there’s a reason AMs are the most popular fins. They’re just a better template overall. A lot of the neutral fins have weird blobby tips with extra area up there. For upright fins - not a ton available in general. Also have some funky templates going on.

Reactions: Aruka

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Fcs2?

The stretch quads will probably be fun . The old yellow orange one's if he is under 160 .

good to see aliexpress is retodd approved. jus need to find some h4s on there now

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
he sent me down an asian website rabbithole.
Finally some fiberlgass, honeycombless fins

I've had good luck with bilong fcs store and the surf hub store on there. just always a little leary when there is no review and I usually like to see some pics of the actual fins in the review so i know exaclty what i'm getting.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
is there anything the same as the YU template in FCS2, or even better a place to get YUs from?
I'd also like an FCS2 version. I have a set of FCS fusion YU's from True Ames. but I no longer have a board with those plugs and prefer the snap-in/out of FCS2. Yes, I'm too lazy to use screws.

Also, I feel like I'm kinda in between M and L size fins at 175-180 lbs. Usually switch between M Performers and L Reactors depending on the board /tail. Realistically, I'm usually surfing wide-tailed boards in knee-chest high San Diego surf. Anyone else around my size, M or L?? convince me.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
im in small to medium limbo too.

dude once you get the plugs in and the fills for fcs2 box, i almost think its faster than fcs2 fins,

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I'd also like an FCS2 version. I have a set of FCS fusion YU's from True Ames. but I no longer have a board with those plugs and prefer the snap-in/out of FCS2. Yes, I'm too lazy to use screws.

Also, I feel like I'm kinda in between M and L size fins at 175-180 lbs. Usually switch between M Performers and L Reactors depending on the board /tail. Realistically, I'm usually surfing wide-tailed boards in knee-chest high San Diego surf. Anyone else around my size, M or L?? convince me.
I'm slightly heavier than (185-190) you but I surf almost exclusively large fins in the same SD burgers. I feel like there's a noticable increase in drive with the larges. I only go down to mediums on my ghost in good waves (IE almost never).

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

I'm same weight basically fluctuate between 175-180 lately. I ride L fins. Sometimes I'll throw a smaller center fin in there to loosen up a board in small waves but I don't run any side fins that aren't L. It's hard to give up the drive and hold. I'm tall so that's probably a factor.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002

L, no question. Same size here. AM-L are a good size, not too big. Accelerators and DHDs feel big for their size, so maybe not those.