*** Official Fin Thread ***

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
What fins do you usually like?
I have AM2s on a beefier version (same dims; sneaky volume) of the board in question that's more for 3-8'. I weigh about 205 and those are supposedly maxed out at 185. This is what led me to realize that I have no idea WTF to make up of recent fin systems.

Don't have much to compare; mostly towards old FCS actually. The Pat Rawson's (GPR) were godawful. G5s in the sides and a G3 in the middle were good. Ditto YUs. But old FCS (which Havoc and CM will heckle me for); no idea how that translates to Futures.

BTW, given what Futures are and natural inevitability, how do you all wedge the fins out when you snap them out at the base? Wedging a Phillips into the back and out works but extends the end of the box to put it lightly.

More for your trouble for latter question:

1601266951342.png

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've never broken a futures fin at the base. Busted a couple boxes out but it takes a pretty decent impact as long as the board's well constructed.

I used to love the YU's when I was like 160lbs. but I can't imagine riding them now at 180+ let alone 205.

If you're gonna buy a new set of AM2's I'd get the Jordy's instead. Very similar overall but slightly more refined and just a little looser feeling which I suspect you'd like.

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I've never broken a futures fin at the base. Busted a couple boxes out but it takes a pretty decent impact as long as the board's well constructed.

I used to love the YU's when I was like 160lbs. but I can't imagine riding them now at 180+ let alone 205.

If you're gonna buy a new set of AM2's I'd get the Jordy's instead. Very similar overall but slightly more refined and just a little looser feeling which I suspect you'd like.
Thanks. I will look into the Jordys. I assume there are some versions that don't cost $100+. I definitely like board/fins to be loose and being able to throw that tail around. Although surfing those boards as a twinfin can be a bit too loose.

Seems like I snap fins at the base a lot. Sometimes because of shallow conditions but other times? No idea. But it does beat busting the box out ($$$$ repair)

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
If you want to save a few bucks, get the John Johns in Alpha. I think they only come in the medium size, but they are a healthy medium. I
like them in squash tail thrusters.

Reactions: Aruka and Kento

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Looking for quad trailer suggestions. New boar. I am not a quad guy but I want to do some exploring. I'm going to start with TA CIs mediums or larges for the leads. I've got trailers options from a medium CC Captain Fin set. I think they are 70/30. I also have QD2 4s. 80/20. Both honeycomb. I dont know how much this channel affects the quad trailer choice. Shaper said start with the smallest trailer I got and go from there. What say the brain trust?

View attachment 98155
dude...more pics. back around...98?99? ryan skal made my buddy somethign that was considered a fish back then....i'd kill for a sized up version of that board right now. thing just FLEW and was loose and yeah.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Here you go 20W. Ryan is shaping out of moonlight now and he is a super good guy. its a take off on the old rocket fish design-model is the rambler. its my version of a HPSB for local waves. its got some nose flip to handle the steeps. After a week of decent surf-it only works as a tri for me. so far epic boar. support local.

Attachments

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Thanks. I will look into the Jordys. I assume there are some versions that don't cost $100+. I definitely like board/fins to be loose and being able to throw that tail around. Although surfing those boards as a twinfin can be a bit too loose.

Seems like I snap fins at the base a lot. Sometimes because of shallow conditions but other times? No idea. But it does beat busting the box out ($$$$ repair)
The true ames, captain fin, and nvs all run a little cheaper at about $85 for thruster sets and I haven’t had issues with any of them. Nvs will also sell you separate center fins, which ran me I think $27 for the g10

Reactions: Aruka

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The true ames, captain fin, and nvs all run a little cheaper at about $85 for thruster sets and I haven’t had issues with any of them. Nvs will also sell you separate center fins, which ran me I think $27 for the g10
I guess I have been out of the loop for a looooong time. That is insane pricing. I've bought boards for less. :roflmao:

Not that I take it for granted at all, but Terry will probably comp me the fins but I don't want to be the asshole by asking for top-of-the-line fins. Just a basic shape with a smaller middle fin so it holds when I need it but is also loose when I need it to be. I do think a lot of you otherthink things sometimes. I don't change fins around. Once they are in there, they are IN THERE. I will let my heathen ass out now. :monkey:

Reactions: MathDebater
Jul 5, 2009
Has anyone tried the Mick Fins with the Lost Driver 2.0? using the k2.1 right now, and I'm thinking about switching.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Has anyone tried the Mick Fins with the Lost Driver 2.0? using the k2.1 right now, and I'm thinking about switching.
I run the DHD L Futures in mine and they go great. Very similar fin just slightly more refined tip. Also tried smaller center fins with DHD sides with good results. I find the driver 2.0 to be a pretty loose board so Ive never felt the need to run upright fins but I also tend to favor raked fins in general fwiw.

Jul 5, 2009
I run the DHD L Futures in mine and they go great. Very similar fin just slightly more refined tip. Also tried smaller center fins with DHD sides with good results. I find the driver 2.0 to be a pretty loose board so Ive never felt the need to run upright fins but I also tend to favor raked fins in general fwiw.
yeah with how loose the board feels, I almost want a little more of that "drivey" feel, thank you!

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
I rode the Fannings today in tricky, shallow, pitching reefbreak. Board felt very drivey but a bit tracky, that said the wave was completely new to me and not an easy wave to surf. I bought the Kolohes and will probably try those next session.

Jul 5, 2009
I rode the Fannings today in tricky, shallow, pitching reefbreak. Board felt very drivey but a bit tracky, that said the wave was completely new to me and not an easy wave to surf. I bought the Kolohes and will probably try those next session.

Please keep me posted, i'm interested! What have you been running on? Thank you again!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
OK, I rode both the Fannings and Kolohes today. Both mediums.

Fannings - Rode at a crappy, slabby reef. Very drivey and felt very tracky. Poor release off the bottom and sticky at the lip. Plenty of speed through a roundhouse cutback but then no ability to throw the turn back around. In all I felt overfinned and I usually love these fins.
Kolohe - rode at a crappy beachbreak. Good release all-around but every backhand reentry had me sliding into a reverse. Not how I want to surf.

Basically it feels like I need something in between those two fins.

Keep in mind I'm 145lbs so YMMV. Surf was also total sh!t both sessions, I caught very few waves because there were very few worth going on.

Reactions: Puffy

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
OK, I rode both the Fannings and Kolohes today. Both mediums.

Fannings - Rode at a crappy, slabby reef. Very drivey and felt very tracky. Poor release off the bottom and sticky at the lip. Plenty of speed through a roundhouse cutback but then no ability to throw the turn back around. In all I felt overfinned and I usually love these fins.
Kolohe - rode at a crappy beachbreak. Good release all-around but every backhand reentry had me sliding into a reverse. Not how I want to surf.

Basically it feels like I need something in between those two fins.

Keep in mind I'm 145lbs so YMMV. Surf was also total sh!t both sessions, I caught very few waves because there were very few worth going on.
New phone, who dis?

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr