*** Official Fin Thread ***

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
They are stiff, but have a really great feeling flex at the same time. I've been happy with my medium peregrines and medium JLs . Also picked up the Ono twins, but haven't had a chance to try them out

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Are the naked Viking fins stiffer than futures techflex fins?
I think so. They are mostly foiled very thin in the tips so they while they are rigid at the base they do have some tip flex. My only real complaint is sometimes they come very sharp and I have to spend a little time rounding the edges with sand paper.

Reactions: Hazrus

MACSAN

Nep status
Sep 5, 2009
I think so. They are mostly foiled very thin in the tips so they while they are rigid at the base they do have some tip flex. My only real complaint is sometimes they come very sharp and I have to spend a little time rounding the edges with sand paper.
I think the newer models like the Mann Kine's trailing edge is less sharp than the older ones.

Reactions: retodd and Aruka

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
have a set of freestones and JJ large, quite similar shape with the JJ having more area overall. probably started with the same base template, used to see jack riding the JJ fin before he had a signature model.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Fins shipped yesterday

Top row are for a home board builder with his requested tab placements

second row is a replacement set for a 9' 10" longboard I converted to a Thruster shaped by an award winning shaper in San Diego

Bottom is anther set of 4 fin rears for a customers Von Sol board on Maui with custom tab placements

IMG_8663.jpeg

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I swear they used to provide it on their website, but I could be remembering wrong.
I think they used to as well but did away with it.

Sure it simplifies things by saying "pivot, neutral, or raked" but there's nuance in there that's important.

It definitely turns me away as a consumer.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
What’s the go on FCS carver fins? they feel like Merricks with a bigger centre fin. What difference compared to Merricks under the feet?

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Little more neutral. Less release in turns

Carvers will be better on boards with single concave off the tail and nor more tail rocker

Reactions: Hazrus