*** Official Fin Thread ***

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
has anyone tried the Lovelace Piggyback Keels (the higher aspect ones) on a performance twin (wing swallow outline)? Have only heard feedback from em in fishy shapes.
1585160453841.png

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I haven't tried the PB keels in my Rusty winged twin but I suspect they would go well. I've liked slightly more swept back twins like the Christenson twins and the Album Fascination twins in that board but I haven't gone full on keel yet because I think it would lose too much of the pivot that makes it so fun. PBK could be a good middle ground.

PB quads are sick in small waves. So much speed but still loose. Like oeste says, good middle ground between split keel and normal quads. I wanna try them in my JS Psycho Nitro soon, I think that would be a good combo.

Reactions: tedshred5

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Yeah I have a Rusty twin on order, pure twin no trailer box. Already have the Akila Aipas and the T1s. I was wondering how a more upright keel might go for a change in feel.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I used the piggybacks in a MR type performance twin this winter for a few months. I didn’t click with it. Not even sure why. I love keels in a fish. I ended up going with TA twins and a TA trailer.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah I have a Rusty twin on order, pure twin no trailer box. Already have the Akila Aipas and the T1s. I was wondering how a more upright keel might go for a change in feel.
If we ever get some fun waves eventually I'll try the PBK's in my R. Twin and let you know.

Reactions: tedshred5

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Lotsa questions:

Are the piggyback keels too much fin for 5'7 160# me on a 5'3" fish I shaped? If so, any suggestions on alternatives? If not, how should I place them with futures boxes? Looking for something like those... More keel-y than the CxCx upright keels.

Does the futures fin rear gap make their fins not even close to the intended design? Anyone
ever do a 1:1 comparison? Same (not really) fin on same board, only a different box?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I think the Piggyback Keels are pretty well sized for 160lb. person surfing a short fish.

I'm about 180 and they were a little too loose in my 5-7 fish. Still fun, especially in smaller surf but just a little too slidey when the waves had push.

I can't comment on the futures vs. fcs or other keel comparison. Most of my boards are Futures. No complaints.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
If we ever get some fun waves eventually I'll try the PBK's in my R. Twin and let you know.
thanks dude. You said you like the Album Fascination twins in em too? those also look interesting.

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Lotsa questions:

Are the piggyback keels too much fin for 5'7 160# me on a 5'3" fish I shaped? If so, any suggestions on alternatives? If not, how should I place them with futures boxes? Looking for something like those... More keel-y than the CxCx upright keels.

Does the futures fin rear gap make their fins not even close to the intended design? Anyone
ever do a 1:1 comparison? Same (not really) fin on same board, only a different box?
We're pretty close in height and weight. I have a set of the piggyback keels for my 5'3 TKF, but haven't tested them out yet. I've been pretty happy with the futures k2 keels on that board. I also ordered these because their offer to donate a portion of the proceeds to a local surf shop was all the extra motivation I needed https://www.surfnvs.com/collections/apex-twins/products/apex-series-ono-twin

Reactions: SixtyGrit

kai kane

OTF status
May 15, 2003
pacific
Has anyone tried new NVS Taylor Knox fins?
Looking at buying large set. Weigh 185 and live on North Shore. Seem right but wondering if anyone tried out yet.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
We're pretty close in height and weight. I have a set of the piggyback keels for my 5'3 TKF, but haven't tested them out yet. I've been pretty happy with the futures k2 keels on that board. I also ordered these because their offer to donate a portion of the proceeds to a local surf shop was all the extra motivation I needed https://www.surfnvs.com/collections/apex-twins/products/apex-series-ono-twin
Mine arrive tomorrow, but the fish they're for has yet to be glassed... Next week's project.

Reactions: Brsnstein