*** Official Fin Thread ***

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Anyone use the Futures Akila Aipa twins with a trailer? If so, I'd appreciate any recommendations. Looks like Noel Slasa used them with a T1 trailer.
Also, I guess they might be a bit tall as quad fronts, but maybe with tiny rears??... Is that silly to even bother messing around with?

Last edited:

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Not sure about this purchase, but I am a sucker to give something new a try and figure these will work/do something to at least one of my boards.

Anyone have any direct experience with this design?
-price point seems fairly reasonable...

Cheers

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
One of the issue when using Futures twin fins as quad fronts is the fact that they have less can't built into the tabs so in a typical quad layout they don't function properly

Reactions: Aruka and oeste858

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Found a set of creatures arc fins on the web for a decent price. I'm not a big fan of the template in most of my boars but retodd's were really nice so I decided to pick them up. Nicely foiled glass.... ohhh they nice.

Gonna try them in my fuse tomorrow.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
wonder if any noteworthy people are into single fin tow-boards
seems
like a good idea for goint fast in longer straighter lines....

Reactions: Waterlogged05

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
Haven't been able to find any consensus on FCS II neo glass construction other than 'people like them'. How are they different from honeycomb other than having more flex? I'm light (150 lb) but have ridden honeycombs since I was a grom and have never had any complaints. But it sounds like these are right up my alley and they're cheaper. They would be for my daily driver short board in NCSD but wanted to hear some specific comparisons. Would also like to know about the quality. They seem like cheap plastic.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Anybody who runs the Controllers or Seaworthys give the Machados a go with any success?

Seems like the Machados were designed for his model but also seems like might be a good alternative to Controllers too. Possibly comparable hold yet looser in steeper pockets...

Futures Fins | Controller
The Controller is a split keel quad setup designed specifically for use in wide tail fish designs. The honeycomb & bamboo construction, V2 foil and large surface area are great for generating speed and maintaining it through a sequence of turns.
futuresfins.com
futuresfins.com
Futures Fins | Machado Quad
Machado Quad
futuresfins.com
futuresfins.com

Thanks!

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Fcs2 gam large are deftly smaller in tip and base than the futures version. I’ll get a pic up later. Makes sense as the futures ones always felt giants. Tekfuks r even bigger

Reactions: Aruka

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Fcs2 gam large are deftly smaller in tip and base than the futures version. I’ll get a pic up later. Makes sense as the futures ones always felt giants. Tekfuks r even bigger
What I still don't understand is if you're CI, why would you allow this to happen? A GAM large fin should be the same across all fin manufacturers.

Reactions: Havoc

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Havoc i think we are the same size (160lbs?)

You should try yu’s in your standard hpsb. I switched from Am2( gam large) and never looked back

Reactions: Havoc

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
What I still don't understand is if you're CI, why would you allow this to happen? A GAM large fin should be the same across all fin manufacturers.
Almost all of the shaper fins are different between the two systems. Pyzel, mayhem, dhd etc

I think CI is the worst though because besides fcs and futures, they also have true Ames, shapers, and their own line of fins. All different.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
They most likely have agreements with the shapers that they can't use their design with the competition.

Reactions: Brsnstein

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
They most likely have agreements with the shapers that they can't use their design with the competition.
That's an interesting point.

If you were someone as big as CI/Lost/ect, you would think you could throw your weight around a little bit and say "if you want my template, this is it. Take it or leave it."

I'm sure the GAM template is one of the best selling templates for both Futures and FCS.