*** Official Fin Thread ***

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I got them to be WCT's but bigger for my GMM2 but the waves have been good so I've been surfing them in other boards out of curiosity. Typically I like rakier fins.

Reactions: jkb

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Foil question...w/ all things being equal (board, fin template, placement, etc...), what would I gain or lose from a thicker foil vs. thinner?
I have 2 sets of fins that are identical except for foil, so just curious what the difference would be.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
I found thicker foils to work best in waves that are slow and or soft thay require you to stay in a constant state of rail to rail action . If talking about single fins I don't have much experience with thicker than normal . In know Sunrise and Stavron could answer better.

The Thinner True Ames shine in good waves . They feel faster and stick less in turns ( release ) from one rail to the other . It's possible that the leading edge feels sharper compared to futures and this might have something to do with this

If you are using fcs2 or fcs fins . Just get some from Griffin. His fins are way better than anything on offer from fcs . Well the old DHD fin is good and if you were lucky to get the fiberglass accelerator or carvers those are bomb too

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
They made pure glass accelerators? I have the cabron hybrid and neoglass. Pure glass would be sick. You recommended the glass carvers and they are sick. Not getting rid of those.

but yeah I don’t think I’ve ever seen better looking fins that’s griffins

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
I found thicker foils to work best in waves that are slow and or soft thay require you to stay in a constant state of rail to rail action . If talking about single fins I don't have much experience with thicker than normal . In know Sunrise and Stavron could answer better.

The Thinner True Ames shine in good waves . They feel faster and stick less in turns ( release ) from one rail to the other . It's possible that the leading edge feels sharper compared to futures and this might have something to do with this

If you are using fcs2 or fcs fins . Just get some from Griffin. His fins are way better than anything on offer from fcs . Well the old DHD fin is good and if you were lucky to get the fiberglass accelerator or carvers those are bomb too
Quad sets. The thinner set is from Jack Jensen, the thicker one is from Soar.
I think I pretty much have my answer though, since the board in question is a good wave board. Thanks!

May 10, 2018
I love the Matt Biolis fins (fcs2) for small to mid size punchy beach breaks but wanted a fin with a bit more hold for better waves without being too much of a drastic change. I took a punt on the Kolohe Andino fins and so far seem to have done the trick. Would recommend. (All fins in large)

*I tried the performer fins and absolutely hated them. I'm guessing it was the inside foil but I couldn't turn my favourite board at all.

Last edited:

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
What fin would you put in a Christenson Pahi ? Probably going to ride it at Ulus (backhand) and other Bali waves.
I currently have a 7" volan greenough 4A, and a 7.5" Knost fin.
I rode the Knost in a 6'8" C-Bucket last year that felt really sticky off the top, and was absolutely not a barrel board despite Chris's description.

Was considering getting a Lopez or Machado fin from Futures but they could be too much?

6'4" x 19 1/4" x 2 3/8"

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
For backside down the line surf I would want a good amount of rake . The CC fin or Dale Dobson around 7 or 7.5 depending on how much u weigh

p

Jun 3, 2015
Hi all -

trying to figure out fins for a js psycho nitro with futures boxes. Heard MR’s work well but those are FCS only. Futures T2 are impossible to find online and too expensive. any cheaper 2+1 or even keel rec for that board? Thanks a lot!

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Not really. Less base, more depth, much more refined tip on the YU’s. Both quite rakey

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc